It is currently Sun Oct 11, 2026 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: the next step! (lockers / skids)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:04 pm 
Offline
The force is strong with this one
The force is strong with this one
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:21 pm
Posts: 58
I'm gearing up for the ECS, and I've been kicking around the idea of adding lockers and / or skids. I have the stock skids, but thinking of adding better ones.

Anyways, my budget is about $800. Just wanted to get your opinions on products and how to best spend my money..

It snows a lot where I am, and I hear that lockers are bad for that... so I'd either want something I can turn off, or something that only turns on in 4 wheel drive... (unless that rumor isn't true!)

_________________
2002 Limited 4X4 - Gun metal
2.5" Frankenlift
Modded Front Bumber
Extra Rear Spring Isolators
Custom Bull Guard (w/ hooks)
Wranger MT/R w/ Kevlar 265/75/R16
(for serious enthusiasts)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:13 pm 
Offline
Only in a Jeep!
Only in a Jeep!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:49 pm
Posts: 3966
Location: OHIO, Indian Trail-North Carolina
Not going to find a selectable locker for the kj for under $800....
Mopar skids are fine...If you want to upgrade get a better T-Case skid
Do you have rock rails?
CB?

_________________
2000 Cherokee Trail Hawk
3.5" R.E Superflex Lift, R.E Quick Disconnects, R.E Rear Driveshaft, SYE, OME Steering Stabilizer, ARB Diff Covers, JW Speaker Black Heated Headlights, Mickey Thompson 16x8 wheels, 245/75r16 Toyo Open Country AT's, 15 lb Powertank

2003 KJ Sport (BLACK) 230,000+Miles (Decommissioned)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:17 pm 
Offline
The force is strong with this one
The force is strong with this one
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:21 pm
Posts: 58
CB yes, rock rails no.

I was kind of including rock rails in along with the adding more skids idea. :)

_________________
2002 Limited 4X4 - Gun metal
2.5" Frankenlift
Modded Front Bumber
Extra Rear Spring Isolators
Custom Bull Guard (w/ hooks)
Wranger MT/R w/ Kevlar 265/75/R16
(for serious enthusiasts)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:30 pm 
Offline
Only in a Jeep!
Only in a Jeep!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:49 pm
Posts: 3966
Location: OHIO, Indian Trail-North Carolina
Definately will want rock rails! :wink:
Order up some Boulderbars or Skink Sliders...
I thought tokyojoe had a $50 off coupon for Boulderbars from All J Products...
So we have about 450 left to spend!!!! :twisted:
Throw a Aussie Locker in the rear and call it a day! :wink:

_________________
2000 Cherokee Trail Hawk
3.5" R.E Superflex Lift, R.E Quick Disconnects, R.E Rear Driveshaft, SYE, OME Steering Stabilizer, ARB Diff Covers, JW Speaker Black Heated Headlights, Mickey Thompson 16x8 wheels, 245/75r16 Toyo Open Country AT's, 15 lb Powertank

2003 KJ Sport (BLACK) 230,000+Miles (Decommissioned)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:37 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:17 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: Cle Elum, Washington
CD is right. While Im a BIG ARB locker fan youre not going to get one installed with a compressor for your budget. Ive been wheeling pretty hard core for Twenty years. Ive had Detroit's, Lock-Rites and ARB's. Personally I wouldnt want anything to do with a locker in the rain (it does rain around here a lot ((Seattle)) or the snow. Certainly not in my daily driver!!! They are a pain in the booty and some would argue dangerous! That's why ARB's are so good. AFTER youre stuck you turn them on and get yourself unstuck! Let's just say that a full time locker is/can be very squirlly outside of dry traction. Im not trying to talk you out of this, but get some more feedback from people before you put a manual locker in your truck.

_________________
2006 KJ CRD Ltd - Suncoast, GDE Eco, EGR Delete, After market T-Stat, Skid Row skids, V6 airbox, 2.5" Turbo back
2005 KJ CRD Sport-Suncoast, Transco, GDE Hot-GDE Trans, EGR Delete, Skid Row skids, V6 airbox, 2.5" Turbo back, After market S-Stat
1987 Suzuki LWB Samurai -diesel powered, custom 4 link coil suspension 38.5 SX Swampers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:40 pm 
Offline
The force is strong with this one
The force is strong with this one
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:21 pm
Posts: 58
thats the only thing I'm worried about with lockers... I'm not an idiot and going to floor the gas on ice or anything... so if lockers on ice is something I can pretty easily adjust to, I think I'll be ok...

I'm just confused on if its "no matter what you do, it's dangerous" or if it's "you just have to adjust your driving habits"

_________________
2002 Limited 4X4 - Gun metal
2.5" Frankenlift
Modded Front Bumber
Extra Rear Spring Isolators
Custom Bull Guard (w/ hooks)
Wranger MT/R w/ Kevlar 265/75/R16
(for serious enthusiasts)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:07 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
mmmm 800???? budget, let me think............what I may have ...... :twisted:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:08 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
I havent had any problems with my DTT or DL in the snow. I would think that the DTT would be real good in the rear in the snow. I would say get some rock rails first though. Do you have adequate recovery points?

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:36 pm
Posts: 3143
Location: OKLAHOMA
Go Rock Lizard for skinks.... you will not be disappointed!

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Oh and my *new* garage floor. The coating is rustoleum for garage floors and it was $240 for two batches, even though I have a 3 car garage.
Absolutely worth it and I recommend it to everyone!!!!
Image
Image
It looks a lot better than those first pics does it not?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:16 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
could go Aussie in the rear and rock rails that would pretty much do the 800

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:22 pm 
Offline
The force is strong with this one
The force is strong with this one
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:21 pm
Posts: 58
those are some nice rails!!

Yeah, rear aussie and some rock rails are what I'm leaning towards.

Just want to make sure I'm not going to kill myself if I install lockers. :P

Anyone know how noisey the aussies are? and is the noise constant? or only when gas is applied? or only in 4wd? etc?

_________________
2002 Limited 4X4 - Gun metal
2.5" Frankenlift
Modded Front Bumber
Extra Rear Spring Isolators
Custom Bull Guard (w/ hooks)
Wranger MT/R w/ Kevlar 265/75/R16
(for serious enthusiasts)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:23 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
I wouldn't recommend a locker in snow (unless it was selectable). Sure some people have them and have learned to avoid hazard until now but it doesn't make it safe. The shorter the wheelbase the worse the problem will be.

Rock rails would be a bigger priority than a locker anyway. You may want to pick up a spare tranny pan so you'll have a back up for when your MOPAR tranny skid folds like tissue paper. Grab another oil filter and oil so you wont be stuck on a mountain for 3 hrs while friends go back to MOAB to pick up these items because your engine bled out when your MOPAR tranny skid folded like tissue paper. Pack a coat too so when it starts to hail and then a snow storm blows up while you're waiting 3 hrs on the mountain while your friends go back to MOAB to get you a new filter and oil because your engine bled out when your MOPAR tranny skid folded like tissue paper you wont freeze to death. I bought new Skid Row skids after my tranny skid folded like tissue paper causing my engine to bleed out on a mountain stranding me in a snowstorm for 3 hrs while my friend went into MOAB to get me a new filter and replacement oil for what bled out when my MOPAR tranny skid folded like tissue paper.

Yeah.... armor is more important than lockers because lockers wont help you when your MOPAR tranny skid folds like tissue paper causing your engine to bleed out on a mountain during a snow storm.


What was the question again?

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:28 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
only from personal experince can something like that story come!

I agree with the selectable, drove a lot with detroits in the rear of full size pickups, put one in the 69 Bronco and WOW what a ride and roll over, of course part of it was my fault but...... :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:57 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:17 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: Cle Elum, Washington
Im not sure we're helping him out here. Ill just say this, after having full time (Detriot, Lock-Rites) in trucks I wouldnt do it in a daily driver! Period. They arent safe in snow/ice and arguably in the hard rain.

That's my position. You need to listen to as many opinions as you can before you make your decision. Spend your cash on a Skid Row trans plate and some good rocker skids and you might not have enough money to worry about the locker!!!

_________________
2006 KJ CRD Ltd - Suncoast, GDE Eco, EGR Delete, After market T-Stat, Skid Row skids, V6 airbox, 2.5" Turbo back
2005 KJ CRD Sport-Suncoast, Transco, GDE Hot-GDE Trans, EGR Delete, Skid Row skids, V6 airbox, 2.5" Turbo back, After market S-Stat
1987 Suzuki LWB Samurai -diesel powered, custom 4 link coil suspension 38.5 SX Swampers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:14 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
I think the message was a locker is wack in the snow and armor is more important since good armor will prevent you from getting stuck on a mountain for 3 hrs during a snow storm while your friends go back yo MOAB to replace the oil that bled out of the engine because your MOPAR tranny skid folded like tissue paper.

If there's not a life lesson in there somewhere, I can't help the dude.

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:15 pm 
Offline
The force is strong with this one
The force is strong with this one
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:21 pm
Posts: 58
lol..

for some reason, I'm getting the sinking feeling that I should replace my tranny skid :P

_________________
2002 Limited 4X4 - Gun metal
2.5" Frankenlift
Modded Front Bumber
Extra Rear Spring Isolators
Custom Bull Guard (w/ hooks)
Wranger MT/R w/ Kevlar 265/75/R16
(for serious enthusiasts)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
You already have the ultimate tire, traction assists can wait for now. :twisted:

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:25 pm 
Offline
The force is strong with this one
The force is strong with this one
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:21 pm
Posts: 58
JL Rockies wrote:
You already have the ultimate tire, traction assists can wait for now. :twisted:


LOL.. fair enough ;)

now that I think about it more... this is a daily driver.. I'm *much* more concerned about protecting my underbelly than I am about getting winched.

now I'm thinking about grabbing some boulder bars since someone is selling a coupon on here... and I think I can order a skid row tranny plate from them too.

Anything else I should be thinking about? I'd be nice to be offloading on rocks without worrying for a change ;)

_________________
2002 Limited 4X4 - Gun metal
2.5" Frankenlift
Modded Front Bumber
Extra Rear Spring Isolators
Custom Bull Guard (w/ hooks)
Wranger MT/R w/ Kevlar 265/75/R16
(for serious enthusiasts)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:43 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
Just remember that 90% of wheeling is 50% mental. Bring it all down to 2D and pretend like you're on a flat road...... be the Jeep.

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:22 am
Posts: 351
Location: West byGod Virginia
I'd be more worried about the drivers in Morgantown! The snow hasn't really been that bad imo here in wv lately....

_________________
03' Renegade. Front Frankenlift II Premium,1 Conduit, Rear OME 948, Ranchos, Upper Iso, JBA 4.5 Arms, 16x7 4inch backspacing Black Rock Street Locks, 245/75/16 Duratracs. Lots of stickers.
WVU


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com