It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: rear cargo window replacement for dog boxes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:52 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:55 pm
Posts: 4
Location: New Engalnd
Hello All, this is my first post. I have a 2005 bone stock KJ CRD, but looking to start making some upgrades. This forum has been great for ideas on the more usual things, but I have an unusual question I am trying to find an answer for.

Long story short I am am building sled dog boxes into the back cargo area for two dogs and would like to replace the rear side cargo windows with possibly metal or fiberglass panels. This way I can put a small door into each panel and pull my huskies into/out of their boxes without having to open the back door. I've pretty much got a design for renovating the cargo area put together, but am not sure how to replace the windows. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would be most grateful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:31 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:59 pm
Posts: 5171
Location: Austin, TX
Howdy - welcome to LOST

with window regulator problems - there were a couple of solutions for open windows
but I think Durangotang had the best
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=499965#499965
Image

_________________
2005 CRD
stuff
Skeptic quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:08 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:48 pm
Posts: 861
Location: Aurora, CO
I think it would be pretty easy to pop the old windows out and get some 1/8" aluminum panels cut to fit. Put some cap screws from the outside with some metal "fingers" on the inside tightened down with lock nuts to clamp it to the old window frame and you're all set. Then you just need to come up with some kind of lockable door, but i'm sure there are plenty out there you could buy.

_________________
Jeremy - Aurora, CO
L.O.S.T. #0

Future:
2016 Hydro Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

Previous:
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Sold!
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Dealer buyback
2003 Silver KJ Freedom 4x4 - Sold!
32s, Frankenlift, BBars, onboard air, dirt.
KJ EVIC Install


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:32 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:55 pm
Posts: 4
Location: New Engalnd
A soft window would definitely be the easiest way to go, unfortunately the dogs would chew through it pretty quick. The hard part about putting the panels in is that the windows are actually curved in two dimensions. Put a straight edge up against the window and you'll be surprised by how curved they actually are! (I was...) Originally I was hoping to find some type of aftermarket plastic window, but it doesn't look like anything like that exists.

Since it would probably cost a fortune to have a panel with compound curves fabricated I am thinking about how to build a shim that matches the curve on one jeep side and but then leaves a level surface to bolt a flat panel to. Not real happy with that idea yet though so still trolling for anyones thoughts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:24 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:48 pm
Posts: 861
Location: Aurora, CO
Hmm, I hadn't thought about the curves…

How about this:

Pull the glass out, caver it in wax paper or plastic wrap or something similar and make a fiberglass panel. Fiberglass is pretty easy to work with and cheap too. You could then sand and paint it to match your KJ and it would look factory.

_________________
Jeremy - Aurora, CO
L.O.S.T. #0

Future:
2016 Hydro Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

Previous:
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Sold!
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Dealer buyback
2003 Silver KJ Freedom 4x4 - Sold!
32s, Frankenlift, BBars, onboard air, dirt.
KJ EVIC Install


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com