LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

rear cargo window replacement for dog boxes
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48132
Page 1 of 1

Author:  crd123 [ Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:52 pm ]
Post subject:  rear cargo window replacement for dog boxes

Hello All, this is my first post. I have a 2005 bone stock KJ CRD, but looking to start making some upgrades. This forum has been great for ideas on the more usual things, but I have an unusual question I am trying to find an answer for.

Long story short I am am building sled dog boxes into the back cargo area for two dogs and would like to replace the rear side cargo windows with possibly metal or fiberglass panels. This way I can put a small door into each panel and pull my huskies into/out of their boxes without having to open the back door. I've pretty much got a design for renovating the cargo area put together, but am not sure how to replace the windows. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would be most grateful.

Author:  ATXKJ [ Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Howdy - welcome to LOST

with window regulator problems - there were a couple of solutions for open windows
but I think Durangotang had the best
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=499965#499965
Image

Author:  FreedomKJ [ Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:08 am ]
Post subject: 

I think it would be pretty easy to pop the old windows out and get some 1/8" aluminum panels cut to fit. Put some cap screws from the outside with some metal "fingers" on the inside tightened down with lock nuts to clamp it to the old window frame and you're all set. Then you just need to come up with some kind of lockable door, but i'm sure there are plenty out there you could buy.

Author:  crd123 [ Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:32 am ]
Post subject: 

A soft window would definitely be the easiest way to go, unfortunately the dogs would chew through it pretty quick. The hard part about putting the panels in is that the windows are actually curved in two dimensions. Put a straight edge up against the window and you'll be surprised by how curved they actually are! (I was...) Originally I was hoping to find some type of aftermarket plastic window, but it doesn't look like anything like that exists.

Since it would probably cost a fortune to have a panel with compound curves fabricated I am thinking about how to build a shim that matches the curve on one jeep side and but then leaves a level surface to bolt a flat panel to. Not real happy with that idea yet though so still trolling for anyones thoughts.

Author:  FreedomKJ [ Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hmm, I hadn't thought about the curves…

How about this:

Pull the glass out, caver it in wax paper or plastic wrap or something similar and make a fiberglass panel. Fiberglass is pretty easy to work with and cheap too. You could then sand and paint it to match your KJ and it would look factory.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/