LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

How much grease?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48616
Page 1 of 1

Author:  MojaveKJ [ Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:32 pm ]
Post subject:  How much grease?

So I need to grease the upper and lower ball joints for the first time and I'm wondering how much to put in there? I don't think they come pre-greased...right? I searched for info but am sort of in a race against time here and didn't find the answer I need.

Is it just an eyeball thing till it "looks full"? Do all grease guns dispense the same amount of grease on a pull of the handle? I wouldn't think so.

Any advice (ASAP...!) from those who know is greatly appreciated as I'm almost done!!!

-MojaveKJ aka Tony

Author:  03CDKJ [ Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How much grease?

After each lift I clean out the rubber and around the upper ball joint..
So when empty about 5-7 pumps depending on how hard you squeezethat's what she said

Or.. until it (the rubber) starts to bulge out... again, that's what she said

The bottom ball joint gets 3-5

Add a couple squirts every couple thousand miles..

Author:  MojaveKJ [ Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How much grease?

Thanks for the speedy reply. I used your reply and did as you listed and the boots still seemed a bit empty to the touch so I went with the "slight bulge" method thinking that not all grease guns dispense the same amount of grease with each pull.

All seems to be OK but I'll have the alignment shop look them them while they have it just to render an opinion.

Road test time! Thanks again.

Author:  candpliberty [ Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How much grease?

A little off topic. Are the fittings metric? I had some grease guns but the tips didn't fit. I found a tip that was laying around and it fit. If I get a new gun what do I look for?

Author:  MojaveKJ [ Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: How much grease?

Hmmm... I've never heard of a metric or different sized grease fitting but I'm no Motor Man. The grease gun I bought at the local autoparts store just fit the grease fitting on both the Al's A-arms and the Moog LBJs. It was a tight fit but it fit.

Can you see that the fitting is a different size than the 'business' end of the gun?

Maybe post a pic of the fitting and the gun...?

Author:  Diggerfreek [ Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How much grease?

candpliberty wrote:
A little off topic. Are the fittings metric? I had some grease guns but the tips didn't fit. I found a tip that was laying around and it fit. If I get a new gun what do I look for?

The only metric thing you will find on a zerk is the threads. Other wise, all heads should be standard. Now you will find a few every once in a while that my be a little smaller or a little larger, but those are the ones that made it down the line Friday night :ROTFL:

Author:  dgeist [ Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How much grease?

Diggerfreek wrote:
candpliberty wrote:
A little off topic. Are the fittings metric? I had some grease guns but the tips didn't fit. I found a tip that was laying around and it fit. If I get a new gun what do I look for?

The only metric thing you will find on a zerk is the threads. Other wise, all heads should be standard. Now you will find a few every once in a while that my be a little smaller or a little larger, but those are the ones that made it down the line Friday night :ROTFL:


There are some different sized grease fitting around in other industries (heavy machinery and manufacturing come to mind). I think if you stick with parts and tools that are designed for passenger automotive applications, you'll be fine but if you go someplace like Grainger that supplies a lot of different industries, then it's worth a test fit before buying.

Dan

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/