LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48772
Page 1 of 1

Author:  mtnbikermatt [ Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!

Santa brought some jeep money this year and I decided to buy a winch with it. After reading hundreds of reviews I decided on the Smittybuilt Xrc8 to go in my ARB bumper. I got it for $304 from 4wd.com with free ground shipping. Any tips on installing it? I have done lots of electrical work and I already have a optima red top battery.
Will post pics when its finished.

-Matt

Author:  2006 KJ [ Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!

i have an XRC10 winch in my ARB. its a very straight forward install.. it'll be a little snug but if it's like mine it should fit.

Author:  LostEddie [ Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!

You will need a new bumper or a Detoursusa Backbone.

http://www.detoursusa.com./kjbackbone.php

Author:  tommudd [ Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!

LostEddie wrote:
You will need a new bumper or a Detoursusa Backbone.

http://www.detoursusa.com./kjbackbone.php



mmmmm I think he wrote that he already has an ARB bumper :wink:

Author:  LostEddie [ Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!

tommudd wrote:
LostEddie wrote:
You will need a new bumper or a Detoursusa Backbone.

http://www.detoursusa.com./kjbackbone.php



mmmmm I think he wrote that he already has an ARB bumper :wink:



Oops :oops:

Author:  mtnbikermatt [ Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!

Yup the ARB should take care of it. I am dreading taking that bumper off again its quite heavy. I have checked how much suspension clearance i will loose by putting 80lbs of sandbags on the bumper and it only looks like a 1/4" lost. I already have crd springs and a 3 ring clevis lift so I think I am just going to have to live with it.

2006kj do you have any pictures of the winch mounted and the solenoid?

-Matt

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!

You can ease weigh by a LOT just by replacing the wire cable with synthetic rope. The cost is a lot though. Roughly $200 + or -.

Electrical hook-up is very easy. Follow the instructions. You should be able to connect the cable ends to the battery terminal. Just take off the nut and add the end loop and reinstall the nut.

You can add a quick disconnect but that costs about $35-40 and really only worth it if you plan to remove the winch periodically.

Author:  2006 KJ [ Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!

mtnbikermatt wrote:
Yup the ARB should take care of it. I am dreading taking that bumper off again its quite heavy. I have checked how much suspension clearance i will loose by putting 80lbs of sandbags on the bumper and it only looks like a 1/4" lost. I already have crd springs and a 3 ring clevis lift so I think I am just going to have to live with it.

2006kj do you have any pictures of the winch mounted and the solenoid?

-Matt


i only have pictures of on my jeep not mounted in the bumper... and i mounted my winch box in a different way then everyone else because my bumper didnt come with a mount... i can post pictures if you want but i dont think they will help you much. just looks like a winch in a bumper.

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!

What ever you do,do not hook the winch to the side posts of that Optima.

Author:  mtnbikermatt [ Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!

I was thinking the same thing, I dont know what the side posts are rated to but I know the winch can pull upto 480 amps. should I run the ground all the way to the battery? I think I should.

-Matt

Author:  Inc [ Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!

mtnbikermatt wrote:
I was thinking the same thing, I dont know what the side posts are rated to but I know the winch can pull upto 480 amps. should I run the ground all the way to the battery? I think I should.

-Matt

A winch can melt the smaller posts on an optima battery.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/