| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Windshield Replacement http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56235 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | hatteras8926 [ Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:25 am ] |
| Post subject: | Windshield Replacement |
Well I just had the liberty's windshield replaced for the second time and I got to thinking. I wonder how many other folks have had to get their windshields replaced in their libertys and if it's been more than once. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm not the only person who's had to replace the windshield more than once as the liberty's windshield is quite vertical and a rock magnet. Sort of like rear end collisions. It seems like libertys have a bullseye painted on the back (trust me, I've been there too). Oh well, at least this windshield was much cheaper than the last one. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:40 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Windshield Replacement |
Replaced mine once in 145,000 no more than any other vehicle I have had, they all break |
|
| Author: | hatteras8926 [ Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Windshield Replacement |
I get that they all break, but was just curious to see what other liberty owners have experienced. As you said, you haven't had any unusual experience in that regard. |
|
| Author: | Albert [ Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Windshield Replacement |
I caught a stone on I-95 in Georgia and it starred the windshield directly in my line of sight so of course it had to be replaced when I got home. I am never driving in Georgia again....hahaha |
|
| Author: | infernicus [ Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:35 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Windshield Replacement |
I had three replaced in just over 14 months. I Drive A LOT on the expressway, Many, many trucks near me.. Thanks for full glass coverage! |
|
| Author: | mag03kj [ Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Windshield Replacement |
Albert wrote: I caught a stone on I-95 in Georgia and it starred the windshield directly in my line of sight so of course it had to be replaced when I got home. I am never driving in Georgia again....hahaha Cant........drive.........in.........Ga.......to.........many.......rednecks..............HELP |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:50 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Windshield Replacement |
I've had to replace mine once already due to a softball sized hail stone going through it,I need top replace it again as it's pitted pretty good but I have to find a antenna 1st for my remote start as winter is coming and I hate scraping ice off my windshield. Be very careful about getting your windshield replaced,there are alot of bad glass out there that is made in China and not safe.The windshield is a structural part of your KJ and needs to be good glass.Only have PPG glass installed,PPG has always made the OEM windshield for the KJ from '02-'07. |
|
| Author: | 05liberty [ Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:03 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Windshield Replacement |
I was in the auto glass industry for 12yrs and in that time the only pattern I noticed in windshields being broken is popularity of vehicles … the more sold , the more windshields broken ….that being said the windshield on the libby is more vertical than most and because of this reason it may be more susceptible to stone damage .. Or not... Tjk2002 has a good point about the quality of the windshield you are going to buy but not, in my experience, for the reason he has listed. Every windshield sold in Canada, and I assume, in the USA is DOT approved. We all know about DOT tests … etc … The thing that you have to be aware of with “off shore” glass is the optical clarity and proper shape and curvature of the glass! If the glass has optical imperfections you may not be able to see the distortion and may end up having eye strain or headaches from this, it would be like warring eyeglasses that aren’t yours. If the shape or curve isn’t right you may have stress breaks or leaks from improper sealing My rant is done... sorry... Be sure the glass shop is using, like Tjk2002 said, PPG or Carlite, or Pilkington glass, there are other OEM companies also |
|
| Author: | Albert [ Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:41 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Windshield Replacement |
mag03kj wrote: Albert wrote: I caught a stone on I-95 in Georgia and it starred the windshield directly in my line of sight so of course it had to be replaced when I got home. I am never driving in Georgia again....hahaha Cant........drive.........in.........Ga.......to.........many.......rednecks..............HELP hahaha..........that happened on the way back home after the ONF run with you guys. Besides, you were the only Ga. redneck I met on that run mag....haha (j/k with ya mag) |
|
| Author: | HoosierJeeper [ Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Windshield Replacement |
Once....it was replaced when I bought it. It has a Pilkington in it now. |
|
| Author: | liquidxit2 [ Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:31 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Windshield Replacement |
I just replaced mine due to being a rock magnet. I got my first crack the weekend after getting the jeep and it didnt spread then I got another crack and had to replace it. I plan on getting a few more windshields replaced over the next few years due to the attraction with rocks my windshield has. |
|
| Author: | H0USE34 [ Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Windshield Replacement |
Haven't had mine replaced yet but it does have a few chips in it. Will most likley have it replaced before winter hits. I work for an insurance company in the glass dept and I would say I take maybe 1 claim a week for a Liberty. I would't use that as a good stat to see how good or bad the Liberty is at attracting rocks but I wouldn't buy a Nissan Maxima or Honda Accord. 4 to 5 claims a day for those things. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|