LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

electrical fire(now with pics)Now running!
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59291
Page 1 of 2

Author:  kskj [ Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:16 pm ]
Post subject:  electrical fire(now with pics)Now running!

I was on the way to get new tires on the liberty today when everything just turned off. Coasted to the side of the road and smoke was pouring out of the hood. Opened it up thinking it was steam but the right side of the was shooting up flames. Had a fire extinguisher got it put out but i don't know how bad it is yet. I'm leaving to tow it home pics later. :evil:

Author:  Zack A [ Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrial fire

Fire was on the right side? I'm thinking it was not a electrical fire since MOST of the electronics are on the left side. Most likely started then got the wires and such on the right side. Done any work to it lately?

Glad you were not hurt, jeep can be fixed/replaced.

Author:  kskj [ Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrial fire

Sorry I was in a hurry it was on the driver side. Looks like the wire going to the starter was rubbing on the metal brake line rubbed a hole in it(melted the brake line in half) and went to ground. POOF Pics shortly. Camera will not work cannot load pics on the computer. :evil: Most of the wires around the back of the battery are melted,brake controller is black, power steering hoses melted and wiring around it toast. This sucks Pastafari is two and a half months away. I may need to find another jeep if this one is totaled.

Author:  JL Rockies [ Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrial fire

Car fires are not fun... especially when you're driving them at the time.... been there done that. It not going to be as hard to fix as you might think, but it may not be very cheap... unless you can find replacement harnesses in a salvage yard.


Best of luck.... worse case, my passenger seat is open for Pastafari.

Author:  kskj [ Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrial fire

We may be driving a ford ranger. :lol: Already looking at different options.(if it is totaled) I found a few wrecked ones here in town with a lot less miles that all my parts will bolt right on to. Just sounds like a lot of work though. Not sure I trust the cherokee to make that trip and it is still stock anyway.So...... we will see what the insurance adjuster say's on Monday.

Author:  KJWildman [ Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire

Dam! I just sent my engine wiring harness to Big Bear for JJsKJ! Sorry to hear about this! Hope insurance comes through quick and you can get it fixed!

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire

Hmmm, you still have your daughter's KJ as an option. :mrgreen: :rockon: :JEEPIN: :CAMPING: :BINGO:

Author:  kskj [ Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire

She is ready to sell hers. They are talking about having a third child and will need more room.

Author:  HoosierJeeper [ Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire

Got any pics? Glad you're ok.

Author:  kskj [ Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire

I have pics but for some reason I can't get them to load on my computer. They have always worked before. And i am not a computer guru. My son will be back for spring break in a week or so I will get him to help me figure it out.

Author:  kskj [ Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire

Just glad my wife was not driving it at the time i am pretty sure she would not of opened the hood to put out the fire. It would of burned to the ground. And all three grandkids were going be riding in it last night to our house. So at least it happened yesterday morning instead of afternoon when she would of been driving it.
I got the pics to come up here they are.

Image
Image
If you look close you can see the groove the starter wire put in the brake line coming off the master cylinder to the brake controller.
.Image

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire(now with pics)

Okay, so the wiring going to the starter was rubbing on the brake line, right? So you think that’s what started the meltdown/fire? It would be a good idea that everyone should get under their Jeep and check that out. If it happened to yours, I’d say it could happen again to anyone of us. :shock:

Author:  03CDKJ [ Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire(now with pics)

That's scary.... Massive Recall!?!?! Free Jeep Trucks for everyone!

Author:  kskj [ Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire(now with pics)

I think it would be a good idea the check yours. It will just take a second. I am going to my daughters to check hers shortly. I am no expert but that looks to me how it got started. When i was putting out the fire that is right where it kept flaring back up.And where the starter cable melted in half.

Author:  Zack A [ Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire(now with pics)

J.W did you put the fire out and have it towed or did the fire dept come? It might be worth knowing 100% what caused it. I don't do fire investigations (yet) but I have learned enough to know that just because it "looks" like it started at a certain spot it might not have.

Author:  kskj [ Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire(now with pics)

No I put the fire out(there would not be much left to look at if I had to wait for the FD) and like I said i am not a expert. And it is very possible it started in a different place the wire that I am pretty sure goes to the starter has all the insulation melted off as far as I can see it without taking the skid plate off. It would be nice to know for sure where it started but not sure if the insurance company will check into it that much.
Just checked my daughters 02 and that wire is nowhere near the brake line so......

Author:  Zack A [ Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire(now with pics)

Yeah I don't blame you for putting it out. I've been to fires before where someone put it out had it towed and never fully put it out..always fun fighting a fire on the back of a tow truck. :shock:

If you know someone related to the FD or something I'd have them look at it. However I'm sure the insurance company will take a look.

Author:  sota [ Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire(now with pics)

darn you OP... now you're going to make me want to put an extinguisher in the jeep (like I have one in my neon.) anyone got any pictures of where and how they put one in?

Author:  sota [ Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire(now with pics)

I just went and looked over mine (07 MY btw) and there is NO wiring even remotely close to any of the brake lines up there. was something perhaps changed on yours or did they move the wiring during production?

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: electrical fire(now with pics)

Gary, your damage doesn’t look like it would be very expensive to repair if you did it yourself. Go to the salvage yard and pull all the wiring that you would need. I can’t see all your damage, but from what I see in the photos, it may only cost you $300-500 in parts.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/