It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: front end noise... axle or bearing?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:45 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:48 pm
Posts: 83
Location: Cleveland
I'm having trouble diagnosing a front end driveline noise. I get a whirr that gets louder the faster I drive and at highway speed is really loud. If I turn it gets louder so I think it's a wheel bearing. If I jack up the front end and spin the tires they spin pretty freely but at the right tire I can feel and hear an occasional subtle "bump" or something. It's not a distinct click like CV's usually make when they go bad, but at high speed I can imagine it's the whirr I'm experiencing. Any suggestions on how to narrow down the cause?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: front end noise... axle or bearing?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: SARANAC, MI
I would have to agree with wheel bearing. these libertys don't need to be too far outta spec for some aweful noises.

_________________
SOLD!!!
2005 Liberty Renegade
STT CustomSTUFF
4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS


Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: front end noise... axle or bearing?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:45 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm
Posts: 248
While you have the Jeep up off of the tires, take the top and bottom of the wheel and try to push it up and down. If there is any play you can be sure that a new hub (bearing) is needed. Also grab hold of the half axles and give them a good shake. There should be little to no play in them. If there is play you are probably looking at CV problems. For some reason the CV's on these things don't always produce the "clicking" that you hear on other front-wheel-drive vehicles.

_________________
Jim

2003 Liberty Renegade
Leather Electric Seats
Self-Dimming Mirrors
Sun Roof
MOPAR Rock Rails, Skids, Rear Hitch
EMU Heavy Duty shocks and Springs 2.5" lift
Front Tow Bar (for RV)
Firestone 255 70 16 Destination AT Tires
Straps and Chains :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: front end noise... axle or bearing?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:46 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:05 pm
Posts: 49
Location: Omaha, NE
Sounds exactly like the noise I had about a year and a half ago. It was bad wheel bearings on the right side.

_________________
2002 Liberty Limited
Prelowered, Full Mopar Skids, 245/70-16 General Grabber AT2, Front and Rear Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: front end noise... axle or bearing?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:01 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:48 pm
Posts: 83
Location: Cleveland
Can you install a hub with an ABS sensor on a Liberty that doesn't have ABS? I'm looking at Rock Auto and the ABS-equipped hubs (made by GMB) are cheaper by almost $40 for the pair. The non-ABS ones are made by Raybestos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: front end noise... axle or bearing?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:04 am
Posts: 824
Location: Canada
yeah they are the same other than the ABS speed sensor. I have non-ABS on my ABS equipped liberty


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: front end noise... axle or bearing?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:19 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm
Posts: 248
Did you find out what the noise was?

_________________
Jim

2003 Liberty Renegade
Leather Electric Seats
Self-Dimming Mirrors
Sun Roof
MOPAR Rock Rails, Skids, Rear Hitch
EMU Heavy Duty shocks and Springs 2.5" lift
Front Tow Bar (for RV)
Firestone 255 70 16 Destination AT Tires
Straps and Chains :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: front end noise... axle or bearing?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:20 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:48 pm
Posts: 83
Location: Cleveland
Yep, it was the bearings. I got the GMB bearings and just cut the ABS sensor wires off. The old bearings felt like they spun tighter than the new ones but I really didn't feel any play or roughness in them. I wouldn't have guessed that they'd be so noisy. It's so nice to have it quiet again!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: front end noise... axle or bearing?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:21 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:40 pm
Posts: 688
Location: ky
Did my wheel bearing today,amazing difference,had no play that I could detect.

_________________
02 Sport,Frankenlifted,JBA arms,31/11.50/15 LTB,Aussie locker,204,000m
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: front end noise... axle or bearing?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:43 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 69
So how hard is it for a simple person to replace the bearings? I'm getting the same noise from my front right bearing. It isn't real bad right now but would like to take care of it before it gets worse. I'm fairly capable mechanically but what all is involved?

_________________
"Life's a Garden, Dig it"

2003 Jeep Liberty 3.7L Auto 4x4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: front end noise... axle or bearing?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:10 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:48 pm
Posts: 83
Location: Cleveland
It's not too bad. I put a punch into the brake rotor vents up against the caliper carrier to keep the hub from turning while I loosened the spindle nut (36mm socket plus a pipe on the ratchet), then strip the brakes off, push the CV joint inboard a bit with a gear puller for extra room to get to the hub bolts, loosen three bolts holding the hub from behind (I almost stripped the head on the first one with a ratchet before switching to an impact. It's an E14 inverted torx head bolt.), hammer the old hub loose, use the gear puller again to pull the hub off the axle, and reverse for installation.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com