LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Rear bumper removal...
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59627
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Liberty02sport [ Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:58 am ]
Post subject:  Rear bumper removal...

Noticed a crack in the rear bumper cover today :evil: so it looks like I'll be replacing the rear bumper cover. Anyone have a write up on this ??

1. Do the rear flares use the same reuseable clips as the front flares to attach them to the body ??

2. How far do the rear flares have to be removed to access the screws holding the bumper cover on ?? How many rivets need to be drilled out/replaced ??

3. I'm seeing about 11 rivets total ..looks like 3 on each side and 5 across the rear bottom edge and 3 screws across the top. Will the bumper support come off along with the bumper cover .. Is there anything I'm missing (hidden rivets, screws, clips, etc.) ??

Thanks in advance for the help. I got the front bumper off to mount the tow hooks thanks to all the good write-ups and pics posted here. I don't think the rear should be much more complicated than the front, but I'd still like to hear from those who have been there, done that. :)

Author:  Liberty02sport [ Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear bumper removal...

C'mon guys I know SOMEBODY has pulled a rear bumper before....

Author:  tommudd [ Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear bumper removal...

No not many have from the responses
Image
easy to do, drill out the plastic rivits, remove the screws across the back behind the tail gate, 2 small bolts perside after you remove the flares etc. Have to get new fasteners ( clips) for the flares of course and rivits but pretty simple
Common sense

Author:  JL Rockies [ Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear bumper removal...

See all the stuff holding the bumper to the Jeep.... well.... remove that suff. If it is still re-usable, then by all means... if not, replace it.

end tutorial.

Author:  BugginKJ [ Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear bumper removal...

JL Rockies wrote:
See all the stuff holding the bumper to the Jeep.... well.... remove that suff. If it is still re-usable, then by all means... if not, replace it.

end tutorial.

:-)r :ROTFL:

Author:  CoopaTroopa [ Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear bumper removal...

The tutorial must have gone over my head :roll:

Author:  Liberty02sport [ Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear bumper removal...

tommudd wrote:
No not many have from the responses
Image
easy to do, drill out the plastic rivits, remove the screws across the back behind the tail gate, 2 small bolts perside after you remove the flares etc. Have to get new fasteners ( clips) for the flares of course and rivits but pretty simple
Common sense


I was wondering about the clips for the rear flares (the ones on the front flares just popped out and back in again with no problem), so those will have to be replaced ?? There looks to be a rivet hiding under the brake lights on either side... Does that rivet hold the cover or the bumper support ?? In Tom's pic I can't tell .....

Also can't seem to find anything in the service manual advising how to remove the step plates (black plastic things on the top of rear bumper in tom's pic).

Author:  tommudd [ Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear bumper removal...

you don't have to remove the "step plate to get the bumper off.
Its really very easy, any one can do it, remove the rivits from the flare, pull the flare loose, some of the clips maybe able to be reused but I bought new ones, screws across the rear gate, some riits below, 2 bolts per side and done
You don't need a manual or anything else, common sense and simple hand tools is all you need

Author:  Liberty02sport [ Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear bumper removal...

Thanks Tom... I'm always a wee bit wary of the factory voodoo where they hide things so you'll break it by accident or have to have special tool # 1234 to remove said part without damage. :wink:

Author:  Sir Sam [ Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear bumper removal...

I removed my rear bumper way back in the day when I first repaired the rollover, all I remember was it being super easy and me not needing to get anything new to put it back on.

Other than that I have no helpful advice for you.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/