LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6252
Page 1 of 1

Author:  LostRenegade [ Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected

My check engine like came on today. I stoped at the local AutoZone and they hooked up their diagnostic tool and found the code for Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak).

Could this be a gas cap issue?

Author:  Bri [ Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

That would be the most common cause, yes.

Author:  winkelhawk [ Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

Try looking near the battery. There is a hose that is part of the evap system, mine dried up and cracked. Just to the left of the battery, you should see a solenoid. The rubber hose that attaches there might be your problem.

Author:  Signcutter21 [ Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Man , you guys are really really good

Man, I was about to post the other day on how to find the P code for the engine light (on,off,on,off,on within 5 seconds) and somebody had just posted.

THEN, I get on tonight to ask if anybody has a clue on what an "Evaporative Emmision Contro System Leak Detected (small leak) and here you guys are discussing the same thing. Might have to throw the garage clothes back on and go look. Besides that hose being dried up, any other ideas?

later, mike

(*thinking to self* hmmm wonder what the winning lottery numbers will be?

Author:  JeroldBurrow [ Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

I had an evap leak code a while back... don't remember which one specifically. Anywho, it turned out to be a cracked hose going into (coming out of?) the evap canister in the rear of the KJ... next to the gas tank. I replaced it with some hose from the auto parts store and disconnected the battery for a while to reset the check engine light.

Before I found the problem myself, I took it to the dealer. They said that they needed to change out 4 custom formed hoses that run from the rear to the engine bay. They wanted like $600 to do it too! I don't even think they looked under the jeep before they came to that conclusion.

--
Jerold Burrow

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

JeroldBurrow wrote:
I had an evap leak code a while back... don't remember which one specifically. Anywho, it turned out to be a cracked hose going into (coming out of?) the evap canister in the rear of the KJ... next to the gas tank. I replaced it with some hose from the auto parts store and disconnected the battery for a while to reset the check engine light.

Before I found the problem myself, I took it to the dealer. They said that they needed to change out 4 custom formed hoses that run from the rear to the engine bay. They wanted like $600 to do it too! I don't even think they looked under the jeep before they came to that conclusion.

--
Jerold Burrow


They do that alot, they figure that should get the bad part if they replace everything. :?

Author:  LostRenegade [ Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

When I checked the diagnostic code, it came up as P0455 which is the Gross Leak. It turned out to be my gas cap and it took a day and about 100 miles for it to clear. When I stopped to get gas yesterday, I noticed the gas cap was loose. So this means that someone was try to steal gas from me the other night. :evil:

Author:  Guyute1210 [ Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

It's a good thing we have those anti-syphoning devices in our filler necks.

Author:  joyzjonny [ Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:28 pm ]
Post subject:  EVAP LEAK

winkelhawk wrote:
Try looking near the battery. There is a hose that is part of the evap system, mine dried up and cracked. Just to the left of the battery, you should see a solenoid. The rubber hose that attaches there might be your problem.


To all concerned... THIS WAS DEFINATELY THE PROBLEM AND SHOULD BE A RECALL. I had the same problem with an easy fix. My friend is a mechanic and saw the broken connecting hose immediately. The hose is about 1/2 inch in diameter and had cracks around it. It was easy to replace. My friend then hooked up the diagnostic computer and reset the error code. EVAP Lead now gone and so is some stress over that darn EML light.

Author:  saxdogg [ Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

Try new gas cap, but have autozone reset code because it takes several drive cycles to rid it.

Also check ALL the hoses up under the intake on top of the engine. I had two or three cracked hoses up there...not broken open, but they were cracking pretty good for 3 yrs old and 40k miles at the time. I bought bulk heater hose the same size and replaced them all.

JP

Author:  1stJeepKJ [ Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

I drove mine around with the small leak code for a while. Wasn't too concerned, then it started throwing the gross (large) leak code. I took it to the dealer and they replace the hoses for $90. Not to bad. I probably could have done it myself just don't have the time to run around and get parts and stuff. I had them do it while I had it in there for the ball joint recall.

If there is a next time I'll just replace the hoses myself. Seems to be the hoses more often than the gas cap.

Author:  Kj Juice [ Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

oh this just makes me laugh.. well i had the same problem took it to a local guy. dealership is about an hour from here. guy fixed some hoses said everything was good.. he used some kind of smoke machine or something he said to find the leaks.. spent 140 dollars for a couple hoses.. not even a week later. same error code came back up.. i told the guy about it and he said probably need to replace some more hoses.. like what... you were supposed to do that last time.. i know that in one week hoses aren't going to go from good to bad. so needless to say this weekend i will be searching for bad hoses and replacing them myself.

Author:  Signcutter21 [ Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

$90 Dollars :0 $140 :0 :0 Man, spent maybe five dollars for new hose at Autozone for new FUEL line. In addition to the few hoses up by the battery, also check the line near the gas tank. You'll see three metal fuel lines coming from the front on the drivers side. One or two of the lines have rubber fuel lines connecting to part of the tank set up. Found a crack there. Replaced it, did the on off sequence and waahhh laaa, no more engince check light. Again make sure you use FUEL line not regular rubber hose. Takes some finesse to get the hose back on as there is a taper on the metal line and it's a weird angle. Good luck.

later,
mike

Author:  KJ Taz [ Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected

I love this site. My jeep was giving me this code and sure enough the hose by the battery to the soliniod has rubbed on the battery and created a hole. To do a quick check I taped it and as soon as I started it the code was gone. I am still very great full for the resource of this site. Thanks to all who contribute!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/