| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Steering issue http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71713 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Tokyojoe [ Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Steering issue |
OK, replaced the UCA's from JBA (due to a first gen prototype breaking). Had alignment completed. Did not solve the steering issue.....and my steering wheel is even more turned/rotated to the left to drive straight. 1. Steering feels loose. Especially at highway speeds on curves. Squirrely. 2. When I hit manhole cover craters, the wheel feels like it wants to go in another direction and I can feel the KJ shift over. 3. When I am slowly pulling out of a straight parking space and turning the wheel quite a bit, I get a loud clunk noise. People are turning to look and probably think I hit the car next to me with my bumper. Ideas to problems? LCAs? Bushings (anti-sway bar bushings)? shafts? tie rods? power steering? Other? |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:06 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Steering issue |
Are you "sure" the alignment is right? Sounds like it isn't Steering wheel can be centered |
|
| Author: | Tokyojoe [ Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Steering issue |
I figured that since I never had that issue before after alignments. Still doesn't solve my squirrely steering I had before my UCA broke though. |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:44 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Steering issue |
A bad alignment can cause "loose" steering feeling from extreme negitive/positive camber and/or to little caster or extreme cross caster. Noises means loose or worn parts which can help create the "loose" steering feeling. |
|
| Author: | Tokyojoe [ Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Steering issue |
Took it back to Firestone and they did some adjustments and it is now feeling tighter and mostly a straight steering wheel. A lot better than before. I am wondering about the bushings at the bottom of the struts to the LCA. They look like they have degraded a lot on the exterior (without unbolting them). |
|
| Author: | dieselenthusiast [ Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Steering issue |
Your Jeep is 8 years old and has certainly been worked harder than most KJ's, so I would say that replacing the bushings might not be a bad idea. |
|
| Author: | kskj [ Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:29 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Steering issue |
Steering rack bushings can make your steering feel that way. Had that problem on my old liberty. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|