LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Aftermarket Radiator vs.Mopar
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78431
Page 1 of 1

Author:  03CDKJ [ Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:18 am ]
Post subject:  Aftermarket Radiator vs.Mopar

Napa specifically... sells specrta brand radiators with a lifetime warranty... for around $190


The Mopar brand radiator is $340

I went with Napa because of my financial situation at the time... big mistake! I replaced over 10 Napa brand radiators in one yr (under warranty) every single time there would be a pin size hole in the upper corner (drivers side) in the third rib of the plastic portion... some said I installed them wrong and somehow I kept puncturing the plastic... lol... so this last time it happened I had enough loot to get a Mopar one...


Huge difference! The first thing I noticed was the weight! I couldn't find the scale at the shop but the Mopar one weighs AT LEAST a pound more.... here are some pics of the two... with a tape for reference. Mopar on top... notice how everything on the Napa one is smaller than the Mopar one... every tab. Everything!

the forth and fifth pics clearly show the Mopar radiator being over an inch thick... and the Napa radiator being under an inch...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


I will be adding to this thread... I could of taken the old Napa radiator in under warranty and had a back up... But I'm in the process of cutting it up and dissecting it into pieces to show how thin the plastic is (where it is prone to puncture) just to prove to you nay sayers! :goink:


:JEEPIN:

Author:  tommudd [ Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Aftermarket Radiator vs.Mopar

Great comparison shots! You can easily see the difference

Author:  rimmy [ Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Aftermarket Radiator vs.Mopar

Thanks for posting this comparison. I'm looking to replace my radiator and it looks like I'll be shelling out the cash for the Mopar unit (and peace of mind).

-jordan

Author:  KJScott [ Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Aftermarket Radiator vs.Mopar

I just replaced my Spectra with another Spectra, caught in the warranty web. Mine was a pin hole or crack just under the first rib, drivers side, front. Maybe I will get more than 13 months on this one. Pathetic you can't count on quality from most non OEM, no matter how much they talk about quality.

Author:  1996xj [ Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Aftermarket Radiator vs.Mopar

Good write up Chris, I have installed dozens of rad. in KJ's over the year's and the only rad. that will last are OEM Mopar rad. !! :goink:

Author:  adamkrz [ Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Aftermarket Radiator vs.Mopar

It goes for almost all aftermarket parts, Its not worth the labor you spent, I bought and installed an aftermarket rear upper control arm 6 months ago and now both outer bushings are shot.

Too bad I tossed the old one out - it wasn't really bad - just rusted.

Author:  1996xj [ Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Aftermarket Radiator vs.Mopar

Take a guess what I just noticed leaking Mon. evening !! Yea, freckin Rad. found a (mopar rad.) for $162.99 shipped !!, ordering one Fri. !! :banghead:

Author:  03CDKJ [ Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Aftermarket Radiator vs.Mopar

same spot? drivers side upper???

Author:  rimmy [ Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Aftermarket Radiator vs.Mopar

My local dealership price matches online prices from the mopar parts sites. I found the cheapest online price and brought it to them. I got mine for almost 50 dollars off of what they quoted me, and it comes with a 1 year warranty.

-jordan

Author:  Cherrie 274 [ Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Aftermarket Radiator vs.Mopar

rimmy wrote:
My local dealership price matches online prices from the mopar parts sites. I found the cheapest online price and brought it to them. I got mine for almost 50 dollars off of what they quoted me, and it comes with a 1 year warranty.

-jordan

I keep saying this. Most of those "sites" are dealers too.

Author:  1996xj [ Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Aftermarket Radiator vs.Mopar

Chirs, I have a napa (#3) rad. in my KJ, it's leaking from the lower pass. side, prob. cracked on one of the ribs of the plastic tank ! JUNK !!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/