| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| 04 Liberty Renegade rock rail removal/replacement http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78609 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | JakeStarDeluxe [ Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:30 pm ] |
| Post subject: | 04 Liberty Renegade rock rail removal/replacement |
Hey everyone, new to the forum... hopefully this topic hasn't been beaten to death already. Recently bought an '04 Liberty Renegade. Very well taken care of, but the factory rock rails were pretty gnarly. I ordered a set of Rocky Road Rock Sliders to take their place. Has anyone out there had any experience replacing the Renegade rails with the RRO Rock Sliders or any comparable rails? I'm curious as to whether or not there will still be drilling involved, or if the mounting for the factory rails uses the same setup. RRO's turnaround time is pretty slow and I don't expect to have the rails for another 3 weeks. I've looked around for instructions but haven't had much luck. Just wanting to get an idea of what I'm in for so that I can prepare accordingly. Thanks! |
|
| Author: | Cherrie 274 [ Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 04 Liberty Renegade rock rail removal/replacement |
I believe someone on here or KJ country did a write up. Have you tried how to's? I'd tell you to search, but it never works for me. Good luck. |
|
| Author: | Jeepin'WNC [ Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:55 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 04 Liberty Renegade rock rail removal/replacement |
If I remember correctly, the factory Renegade rails had four 15mm bolts holding them in place in threaded inserts; remove those. I sat my new rails (JCR stage III) on jack stands to get them into an approximate position where I needed them, and then used a floor jack to get them "finalized". Yes, you will have to drill new holes; I had to use a 90 degree drill in one place in each side. My rails came with self tapping screws for the unibody rails and nuts and bolts for the pinch weld...I screwed the mounts into the uni-body first, then drilled the holes for the pinch weld and tightened the bolts and nuts...The uni-body rails and pinch weld are hardened steel, get yourself three to four bits in the size you need, and drill slowly so you don't burn them up...My reason for saying to get three or four bits is because I broke two bits, and had to stop right in the middle of installing my rails to go buy more drill bits...Also with the Renegade be careful while drilling the pinch weld so you don't accidentally drill through the plastic rocker cover...Some people advise to take them off...It might be a good idea, as one of mine does have a hole drilled through it!!! |
|
| Author: | JakeStarDeluxe [ Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 04 Liberty Renegade rock rail removal/replacement |
Thanks for the advice! Got my new rails in yesterday and am going to see if I can get them on without too much damage this weekend. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 04 Liberty Renegade rock rail removal/replacement |
On the 04 just remove the plastic trim piece that covers the pinch weld if it is still on there and toss it. Can't use it with rock rails anyways Sit the rails on jackstand, even up end to end and mark locations, there is a right and left side as you will notice. Good luck with the RRO rails , people have had them bend up into the door panels before |
|
| Author: | Cherrie 274 [ Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:10 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 04 Liberty Renegade rock rail removal/replacement |
And there it is. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 04 Liberty Renegade rock rail removal/replacement |
Cherrie 274 wrote: And there it is. you are so funny picture is worth a thousand words, this is just one set Just trying to help MtnLovers
|
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|