| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Help with front end noise http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78649 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | sandman [ Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:30 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Help with front end noise |
Today my 04 KJ developed a tapping noise in the front end. my girlfriend heard it first but them it disappeared. I just tried to drive it (2WD) and the noise is back. it seems like it happens at speeds under 15mph and in forward and reverse. I looked around under the front end and didn't find anything obvious, but I am NOT an auto mechanic. As a side note I do a fair amount of 4 wheeling on the beach and and I've noticed a slight clicking sound, not sure if the two are related. Just not sure what I'm looking for. Any help, advice greatly appreciated, |
|
| Author: | sandman [ Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:14 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Help with front end noise |
Anyone have any advice? This is my families only vehicle. |
|
| Author: | Mountainman [ Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:26 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Help with front end noise |
Hmm, tough to describe, but if it's a tick tick tick, I'd guess exhaust leak, and clackaty clackaty clackaty would be a rocker that has issues. Usually it's just an exhaust leak. Put a tube to your ear and hunt around the exhaust parts, and if that's not apparent, then try a long screwdriver to your ear on valve cover and other places that are safe. Report back with findings. You will hopefully be able to find an area that's a lot louder than others. All of this at an idle. |
|
| Author: | Mountainman [ Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:29 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Help with front end noise |
Oh, you can also rev it up a bit and listen for a zap zap zap that might be a plug wire shorting to the block or something |
|
| Author: | sandman [ Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Help with front end noise |
It's definitely drive train related. Only makes the clackity sound when the jeep is moving. Doesn't matter if I'm going straight or turning. Upon further in investigation I found the rear boot on the front drive shaft is torn. Guess I should start there. |
|
| Author: | palmettostomper [ Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Help with front end noise |
my joint on rear at t-case was going bad.. it stared as a tink tink tink noise every now and then, mainly in 4wd under load, but then it started doing it in 2wd also. my boot was good.. I took front shaft out and it stopped. rebuilt the front and rear joints.. all good. cheapest way to start is to take it out, yourself and see if noise is still there. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|