| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Road Rally's etc http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=48176 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | tommudd [ Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:43 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Road Rally's etc |
Since there seems to be quite a bit of interest in the Devils Staircase Road type of Rallys I have some CRAZY thoughts 1) How far would you would you travel for something like this? 2) What if LOST OHIO would do something similar? 3) would you be open to camping overnight in a National Forest ? ( or several hotels where you could stay) Something a little different and a fun style weekend for everyone. If the wives did not want to go there are several shops for them to spend money in including a tour of the Fenton Glass Plant . I know of a ton of back roads that look very similar to what you were on . These include several where you almost or do need 4 WD to get up some of the hills and also for stream crossings. Added bonus of several 100 year old covered bridges ( that are still used and you can drive through) twisty roads etc. from the Ohio River to several ridges that have great views. Let me know what you think We could do a similar scavanger hunt and all 4WDs would be invited although the first one would be us only. Also no $$$$$ charge ( at first) This would be on the Southeastern part of Ohio ( Marietta area) with maybe a bonus trip across the Ohio River into West Virginia on one of the few remaining ferrys still working in the US ( they haul 4 to 6 vehicles at a time) |
|
| Author: | TAHOE [ Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I would most likely be up for it. I am already looking forward to the March SRR road rally in indiana. Larry drove what, 3 -3 1/2 hrs to do it, others drove 2-3 hrs??? Wouldn't be as bad if we could do an overnighter. I have to say, I had a great time last Sat, especially doing it with fellow members, I think that made it even more fun. Just wished it had a little more 4 wheeling though. I know that would be a lot of work, are you thinking of putting something together yourself Tom or you have contacts down that way that could help, or even some of us do a road trip and set it up? You and your "CRAZY" thoughts..... I ain't sleeping in no tent though! |
|
| Author: | rokee1998 [ Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I would be up for it Sounds Great! One of the things that makes the rally fun Tom is the scavenger hunt, you really see some off the wall things ie: a train derailment from 40 years ago.... The locals.... and we wnet to an apple orchard and spent about 30 mins there, they had cider and all kinds of stuff. You should go with us to the one in March to see what it's like, I think you'd enjoy it! |
|
| Author: | 1996xj [ Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:48 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
YES ! Tom, I would be there, I agree with Tahoe I wish there was more in the way of 4 wheeling, a national forest/ log roads would prob. have more in the way of 4 wheeling. If you need some help in finding or ploting where something might be let me know, as long as I can come up with some gas money Im there !!! |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I have ran about all of the roads in Southeastern Ohio so pretty much know what they are all like. I sort of have a map in my head, lots of back roads ( mostly all limestone/gravel) no pavement , lots of places to stop, including like I said a lot of old covered bridges still in use, a General Store/ Hardware that has ben owned by the same family for over 75 years, the Ferry that crosses the Ohio River, camping can be had in tents , drag your camper along or hotels, was thinking one of the campsites could be home base. Some off roading back through fields etc. Talking to some land owners now. The land where we could wheel at is privately owned and would be a one time thing just for us. They used to have a huge run in the area every Memorial Day weekend but due to a few drunken crazies it has prety much broken up, so law enforcement takes a dim view on any 4 wheeling ( due to a few) |
|
| Author: | RedKJ04 [ Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Provided I could get off I would be there! Like many have said already I ad a blast this past Saturday as well. I was a lot more fun doing this event with fellow members to talk and work together with. The scavenger hunt really does add that extra little bit of fun and makes you explore more. |
|
| Author: | KJWildman [ Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:07 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Road Rally's etc |
tommudd wrote: Since there seems to be quite a bit of interest in the Devils Staircase Road type of Rallys I have some CRAZY thoughts
1) How far would you would you travel for something like this? " For a LOST event? Farther than I went last weekend." 2) What if LOST OHIO would do something similar? " What if? We should do this for sure" 3) would you be open to camping overnight in a National Forest ? ( or several hotels where you could stay) " Yes" Something a little different and a fun style weekend for everyone. If the wives did not want to go there are several shops for them to spend money in including a tour of the Fenton Glass Plant . " Dont tell her that!" I know of a ton of back roads that look very similar to what you were on . These include several where you almost or do need 4 WD to get up some of the hills and also for stream crossings. Added bonus of several 100 year old covered bridges ( that are still used and you can drive through) twisty roads etc. from the Ohio River to several ridges that have great views. "I don't think anyone used their 4WD on this one" Let me know what you think We could do a similar scavanger hunt and all 4WDs would be invited although the first one would be us only. Also no $$$$$ charge ( at first) This would be on the Southeastern part of Ohio ( Marietta area) with maybe a bonus trip across the Ohio River into West Virginia on one of the few remaining ferrys still working in the US ( they haul 4 to 6 vehicles at a time) |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|