LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Spider... help identify.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=36273
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Burchie [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Spider... help identify.

Found this dude cruising around the kids toys today. is he a bad spider?

Image

Came back an hour later and found that she wasn't dead. Sneaky little ^%$*.
Image

Image

Author:  bwtucker [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

yes, very!!!! That is a black widow!!! might want to check things out to make sure there aren't more.

Author:  jsc7002 [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

I just saw one of those yesterday when I was working outside. I think it is a black widow I meant to look it up so Ill check it out now, but usually insects that have bright colors on them are poisonous

Author:  lionseye640 [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

:shock: yup - black widow

Author:  jsc7002 [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

well now Im glad I killed it :lol:

Author:  Burchie [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

bwtucker wrote:
yes, very!!!! That is a black widow!!! might want to check things out to make sure there aren't more.


Do they travel in groups? He was just meandering around with out a care in the world.

Author:  bwtucker [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

Burchie wrote:
bwtucker wrote:
yes, very!!!! That is a black widow!!! might want to check things out to make sure there aren't more.


Do they travel in groups? He was just meandering around with out a care in the world.


She...the male are way smaller and don't have those markings. They are not known to really hang out in around though.

Author:  lionseye640 [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

http://www.desertusa.com/july97/du_bwindow.html

Some useful info about black widows can be found here.

Also, that's a female. The males are completely black - so keep an eye out for egg sacks or there'll be spiderlings (start out kind of creamy colored and get more of the black and red each time they molt)

Author:  Burchie [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Breeding

Adult male Black Widows wander in search of females but do not feed or bite. Females may occasionally kill and eat a male after mating but this is more the exception than the rule.
-------

Sounds like an ex I had...

:-)r :-)r :-)r

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

gross..... :eek:

We need more emoticons on this forum. :lol:

Author:  dirtykj [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

If y'all are queasy, don't watch this:

Praying mantis female eating male after mating.

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

I had a black widow female in my garage a couple years ago. I couldn't get to her due to the amount of storage items blocking easy access. Just grabbed a bunch of chemicals that either are aerosol or pump spray and sprayed her real good. She shriveled up and died.

Author:  Burchie [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Tokyojoe wrote:
Just grabbed a bunch of chemicals that either are aerosol or pump spray and sprayed her real good.


So you're the cause of global warming. :roll: :lol:

Author:  jeepskate [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

lionseye640 wrote:
http://www.desertusa.com/july97/du_bwindow.html

Some useful info about black widows can be found here.

Also, that's a female. The males are completely black - so keep an eye out for egg sacks or there'll be spiderlings (start out kind of creamy colored and get more of the black and red each time they molt)


Actually, more often than not, the male black widows I've seen are mottled brown. Here's a good pic that shows a male and female together:

http://www.schmoker.org/BirdPics/Photos/Upland/BlackWidow8.jpg

Got em here, too, Burchie. The ladies look positively satanic, don't they? The easiest way to know you've got one around is by their web. It's like no other spider's. Others make these nice geometric patterns or thick gauzy nests, but the black widow web is just a mess of strings that go every which way. And it usually has a crispy dead male or two in it. They like to hide in the day and come out very active at night. You wanna see something interesting, do a perimeter walk of your house late at night with a flashlight. Probably a lot more than just that one. I terminate every one I see, with extreme prejudice. Can't take any chances with my 3-year-old running around.

Author:  Edvalencia [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

The first time I ever saw a Black Widow, it was in our master bathroom.
First, I froze it with compressed air.
I then sucked it up with a handheld vacuum.
Next, I sucked up boiling hot water with said vacuum.
Lastly, I dumped it in my driveway and smashed it with a hammer.

(now I just step on them)

Author:  jeepskate [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

Boiling water ... I like it. I had a hose cart once that was full of them. Big ones, too. I felt like Bill Murray in Caddyshack.

Author:  MtnRunner [ Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

If it's safe to do, I just use WD-40 and lighter to take care of a widow. One quick blast with this hand held flamethrower will kill the blight instantly(and burn off its legs!)

We always get widows down in our tornado shelter back home. Its made of cement so im not worried about burning the place down. Gotta love Oklahoma!

Author:  dog_party [ Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

I was helping my friend clean out his shed and we came across an old Zodiac (yea, there really is THAT much stuff in his shed). My friend told me I could have it (as a tender for the sailboat my father-in-law and I are rebuilding). So I called my father-in-law, who came over to pick it up. We piled everything into his truck and then stood there in the driveway talking for a bit. At one point, he reaches down and smacks (what we assumed was) a big phat mosquito.

Long story short, when I talked to him the next day, he said his knee hurt and the "mosquito" bite was really big. I suggested he take a close look at the center of the swelling and, sure enough...two puncture marks, not one. Turns out he was bit on BOTH legs. Tox report said 99% sure they were both Black Widows. Nasty stuff.

Edvalencia wrote:
First, I froze it with compressed air.
I then sucked it up with a handheld vacuum.
Next, I sucked up boiling hot water with said vacuum.
Lastly, I dumped it in my driveway and smashed it with a hammer.


:lol: That's awesome!! Ha!

Author:  Burchie [ Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

dog_party wrote:
(yea, there really is THAT much stuff in his shed).


If that's in the shed, what's in the garage? "look honey, there's that 747 I was looking for last month."

Author:  dog_party [ Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Burchie wrote:
dog_party wrote:
(yea, there really is THAT much stuff in his shed).


If that's in the shed, what's in the garage? "look honey, there's that 747 I was looking for last month."


:lol: Actually, he doesn't have a garage. Just the shed. You should see his spare bedroom though. We found Jimmy Hoffa in there one day.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/