LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

The big 'DUH..'
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40212
Page 1 of 1

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:59 am ]
Post subject:  The big 'DUH..'

So pretty much anyone who works in the service industry or is simply around vehicles alot occasionally meets or deals with someone who has done something to their vehicle that is simply 'DUH'

Kind of interested to see what some of the biggest 'DUH's that yall have delt with or witnessed, here's two that are probably my favorite memories:


-----

I used to work for a Shell service station, one evening while I was changing some guy's fuel filter on his mustang, these 2 college age girls came rolling up infront of the shop in a little honda with smoke bellowing from the engine and a locomotive looking smoke trail following them.

I finished what i was doing and asked if they needed any help and one of them was like "Yah, we need oil.. my daddy didn't have enough oil to fill up my engine so we came here to get more"

So i popped the hood, waved off what smoke i could, pulled the dipstick and oil was dang near all the way up the stick

I asked them how much oil they had put in, and one said UH i dunnooo and the other said "Like ummm.. 6 or 7 of those bottle things but like, it's still not full..."

she proceeded to take off the oil cap and look down in and state the obvious "Yah.. I can't see any oil there i just see that metal part, isn't it supposed to be full to the TOP of this???"

I pushed the car into the shop, drained about 8 qts of oil out of the car and let it drain awhile..put 4 qts back in and explained to them what the dipstick was for. I was really supprised that the car even ran to get there much less ran when it left.

I was about 14 and it was completly beyond my comprehension that someone could pull a 'DUH' like that.


--

The other one is this latino fella came pulling past the shop I worked at as a diesel mechanic to use the airhose we had on the side of the building next to the truckstop/*cough - this truckstop didn't have gas pumps, hint hint*

I kept working but it wasn't two minutes later I heard a loud BLAM!!!!! and the guy came running in, in an obvious state of panic and yelled SENIOR DO YOU HAVE A BATHROOM!!??

I just pointed, he came back out and asked how come the air hose did not "DING"

... Duhhh

Author:  Diggerfreek [ Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:02 am ]
Post subject: 

:roll: :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r

Author:  TAHOE [ Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm not suprised at the oil thing...my sister did it to her sons car. It was getting hot on her ( he was in military, she was driving it) and she kept putting oil in it. That little GEO only held about 3 1/2 qts, she had about6-8 in it. Anyway, it smoked like a train. She drove it long enough that it ended up causing a hydraulic lock of sorts and blew out the rings.....little car was done for! It really needed about a gallon of coolant. I wonder sometimes how she made it past 50 yrs old.

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

When I was dating my future ex-wife, she was 20 at the time and driving a Chevette. She called me one day to tell me she had made a big mess in her parents garage, when she was trying to add oil to her car. I arrived and saw oil all over the garage floor. I asked her if she had replaced the drain plug. She didn't know what I was talking about. She then told me that her oil light came on earlier in the day while driving so she decided to add more oil. Well, the drainplug idea was eliminated. I went to look at the engine and noticed oil all over the engine in the area of the dipstick. The oil fill cap was still on and it was clean around that area. I asked her where she was pouring the oil into and she pointed at the dipstick. I laughed my head off. She was not amused.

Author:  David Jr [ Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

How about if i exploited someone else's stupidity :twisted:?

Back in 1990, just after my sis got her slant 6, 78 Aspen 2dr on the road (my dad and i worked on it), She started racing some of her classmates. One kid had a 1989 Mustang GT and no sense, he was constantly challenging my sis and losing. One day i met the kid at the local Wawa, he asked me what he could do to improve the performance of the 'stang so he could beat my sis the next time (of course he didn't know the role i played in making the /6 go). I told him to put a small amount of gunpowder in each combustion chamber, pouring it through the sparkplug holes using a funnel. He would see a gain in power right away. Much to my surprise, he went and did it. Any of you gun owners out there can easily imagine what happened next. The cylinder heads took leave of the engine block ruining the car. I told him later he shouldn't have trusted one of the guys who built the /6 Aspen from hell :twisted: :lol: .

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:47 am ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
and she pointed at the dipstick


atleast she was pouring it in the right direction!

had a guy tow a car in to the shop once because outside of his supervision, his step daughter had poured a gallon of antifreeze into the oil fil instead of the radiator resovior

talking about babypoo...

Author:  amerpwr [ Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:54 am ]
Post subject: 

last year my grandparents went shopping at wal-mart to buy groceries. They left and stopped for gas afterwards and my grandfather put in a bottle of fuel additive when he filled up. When they got home and my grandma was putting groceries away, she asked my grandpa if he put the fuel stuff in the car. He said yea he put the whole bottle in. My grandma then proceeded to tell him that he grabbed a bottle of syrup instead of his fuel additive and put it in the car because she found the fuel stuff but not the bottle of syrup she bought. So they had to get it towed in and tanks removed and pump and all fuel changed.

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

amerpwr wrote:
last year my grandparents went shopping at wal-mart to buy groceries. They left and stopped for gas afterwards and my grandfather put in a bottle of fuel additive when he filled up. When they got home and my grandma was putting groceries away, she asked my grandpa if he put the fuel stuff in the car. He said yea he put the whole bottle in. My grandma then proceeded to tell him that he grabbed a bottle of syrup instead of his fuel additive and put it in the car because she found the fuel stuff but not the bottle of syrup she bought. So they had to get it towed in and tanks removed and pump and all fuel changed.


hahahaha!!!! That gave me a good laugh. I am curious as to what the syrup bottle looked like to get confused with a fuel additive bottle.

Author:  amerpwr [ Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have no idea. I guess he only like the pure maple syrup stuff so maybe they had similar shapes and he just grabbed it out of the bad and didnt really look at it.

Author:  Weisse123 [ Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm not particulary proud of this but I was adding some fluids into my V6 2000 Mustang after correctly doing it in the Liberty Renegade. Well, I added fluid into the anti-freeze resevoir, filled it half way, put the cap on and stepped back. It was an odd minute while I stood there as the synapses in my brain connected and I realized what I had done. I put window washer fluid in the anti-freeze resevoir instead. First thought to come to mind was.."Oh, you f'en idiot." I removed the resevoir and cleaned it out.

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

:lol: i wouldn't feel bad about that

over time you get so used to certain resovoirs that you open a hood and reach out for the location that you're used to, i've almost done that with my renny a few times, open hood with a bottle of washer fluid in my hand, reach out for the washer resovior, and put my hand right on the radiator cap and Pauuuuseeee.... Gee, whys the washer resovior cap metal, whys it warm, whys it a radiator cap, Durrr

i think it's more of a DUHH on the engineers part of where they put the 2 resoviors on our libbys :P

Author:  n3qik [ Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

Weisse123 wrote:
I'm not particulary proud of this but I was adding some fluids into my V6 2000 Mustang after correctly doing it in the Liberty Renegade. Well, I added fluid into the anti-freeze resevoir, filled it half way, put the cap on and stepped back. It was an odd minute while I stood there as the synapses in my brain connected and I realized what I had done. I put window washer fluid in the anti-freeze resevoir instead. First thought to come to mind was.."Oh, you f'en idiot." I removed the resevoir and cleaned it out.


Dad did that same thing 4 weeks ago.

Author:  nightdrv [ Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Whilst working at a SEARS Auto Center, in Alexandria, VA...

A lady parked her car and went to the front desk. She apparently asked the sales guy something about her tires making a weird sound. He told her to drive it around to the bays (where me and another tech were standing waiting for her). Only doing 2-3 mph, she rounds the corner, then about to go around a light pole buried in concrete..... and BAMM!!!! RF tire blew apart, taking the fender with it. After 2 seconds, we saw the RF fender laying on the ground about 10ft from her car, looking like a crumpled piece of aluminum foil. The wheel was now bare. We only found little tiny bits of tire near her car.

We went out, and made sure she was ok. She was fine, just stunned. I asked her "so what were you coming in for?" She replied "I just came from the gas station, where I filled up that tire, cause it was low (leaking from a nail)." I then asked "Well, how much air did you put in it?" She said "Till it stopped filling up." :roll: :lol:

Later, after all the shops were about to close, we called that gas station... What used to be a Shell, and asked him about his compressor. He said he only had 2 tied together, mainly for the semi's. It's max pressure was just over 200psi. LOL

Author:  KJ kyle [ Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:07 am ]
Post subject: 

my friend got his XJ stuck in some mud/water.. and he thought he would stick a cinderblock under his tire to get traction.















so anyways.. he steps on it, spits the brick out and smashes his fender in so bad he cant open his door. lol

he then proceded to bury his jeep so bad we spent 2 hours pulling with a hi-lift and 2 straps, then a CJ. gave up and had to have a wrecker come pull him out.

Author:  warp2diesel [ Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:59 am ]
Post subject:  A College Football Player wanted his OLD Cylinder Head back

A star college football player kept running his Nissan Pickup with out coolant until he cracked the head and toasted the rings (the cylinder walls turn dark). I gave him a price on the fix which included having the old cylinder head repaired. We sent the head off, replaced the trashed out rings, cleaned it up and reassembled when the head came back. The engine ran great and he called his mom to come to pay for it when he picked it up. When they showed up, he demanded to have the junk cylinder head, I explained we had the old head welded up and rebuilt, he kept arguing, his girlfriend and mom finally told him to be quiet, apologized, paid up, thanked me for saving them the money over a new cylinder head and took off.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/