LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Harbor Freight Tools
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=41012
Page 1 of 1

Author:  jsc7002 [ Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:31 am ]
Post subject:  Harbor Freight Tools

I need some tools for an up coming project I have and I was wondering if anyone has a tube bender or a metal bandsaw or a cutoff saw from HF and what their likes/ dislikes about them were. or if you know where I can buy one thats better for a good price.

bender
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=38024

bandsaw
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=93762

cutoff saw
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=44829

thanks

Author:  Inc [ Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:50 am ]
Post subject: 

My brother has that bender. I haven't seen anything he made with it, not sure he has, but when I looked at it it looks like it won't really work all that well for a cage. You could do a stinger with it but I think it would be really tough to get the right shaped bends for a cage or anything besides a stinger. It is super beefy and appears to be pretty well made though.

Author:  Rock Lizard [ Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:55 am ]
Post subject: 

Bender: used it...once. Doesn't do what you think it will. this is a pipe bender, not a tube bender. flattens at the bend and puts dents where the dies press. Some fabricators have figured out how to use it and have it down to a science, but it is a lot of extra work for little payoff. Basically, one fabricator I know and respect is AJ at AJ's offroad armor who used to fill the tubing with sand and used one of those benders and did pretty well, but like I said, way too much work IMHO.

Horizontal Bandsaw: Now this I have used a lot. In fact, that $20 for insurance has paid for itself many times over. Each time you take one back you pay another $20 for insurance, but you basically can get 11 bandsaws for the price of 2, and I have gone through that many of those things in two years. For light work on your own stuff, not a bad little unit. For production, forget about it.

The chop saw: never used one, honestly thought about it, then thought about some of the other stuff I have used, and don't trust a blade that big moving at those RPM's in a machine from Harbor Freight. Pass on that one.

Some tools I will vouche for: The drill presses have done well, I have two, a small one that I got on sale for $40 that I have my slider pinch weld mount jig in, and my big one for everything else. Neither of those have let me down, and got them both on awesome sales, and paid less than $200 total for them. Troy doesn't like the big drill press, but that's because I won't pay him the $.25 per hole he keeps asking for.:D The little blue 4.5" angle grinders you can usually get at the first weekend of the month sidwalk sales for less than $10 each, I stock up on those, and I can get 9 of them for the price of a Dewault, and as hard as I am on them, I would have to buy 3 dewaults to get the same life expectancy out of 9 of those cheapo grinders, so they have done well and saved me quite a bit of money and when they die it doesn't tick me off whereas everytime I destroy a dewault I am pretty upset about throwing $90 in the trash, so I quit buying the dewault. The most impressive and most useful thing I have gotten from there is the 7" grinder. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=46237 print this out and take it in with you, because the store sells them for $49.99 up to $79.99 for the same part number, but they will match their online prices. That $40 was the best investment I have ever made on anything in my life. After 3 years, 80 rear bumpers and god knows how many sets of sliders and front cherokee bumpers, it finally died last week. With that grinder and (1) 7" 60 grit flap disc, I would have to go through 9 4.5" 60 grit flap discs to do the same work and wouldn't look anything as clean as that 7". I hardly use the 4.5" anymore except for the wire brush for cleaning welds for paint prep or getting into really tight spots.

Hope that helps. If there is a tool you want to use and start a business, ask me, I will probably have used it, because it is how I started out, and looking back, I can tell you some things I would have loved to do differently.

Author:  JJsTJ [ Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:32 am ]
Post subject: 

I have the cutoff saw. Works well. Not sure how it would hold up too lots of use (production style) but for the garage it works well. (thanks though Marty....now I will hold my breath while using it!)

I agree w/ Marty on the bender. I have read and seen people successful w/ them but only after wasting lots of material and learning all the tricks. If your time is $ then buy a real tubing bender. If only using it for small stuff like a rack made from conduit, you could probably use a cheaper bender.

Author:  jsc7002 [ Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:43 am ]
Post subject: 

okat thanks for all the help, does anyone know where I can find a good bender that I can make a cage with?

Author:  KJ kyle [ Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:04 am ]
Post subject: 

I did a little research on benders and the JD2 seemed to be a good bender, at a fair price.

Author:  4wdParakeet [ Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:29 am ]
Post subject: 

If you are feeling ballsy and don't mind making your own I found plans for a bender. Looks like it would do just about everything we would want.

http://www.pro-tools.com-pdf-hmp-200-new.pdf

That should be the plans. Also if you want to build your own but can't make everything they will sell it in peices too you.


Parakeet

Author:  jsc7002 [ Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

4wdParakeet wrote:
If you are feeling ballsy and don't mind making your own I found plans for a bender. Looks like it would do just about everything we would want.

http://www.pro-tools.com-pdf-hmp-200-new.pdf

That should be the plans. Also if you want to build your own but can't make everything they will sell it in peices too you.


Parakeet


link isnt working for me.

Author:  Magnum [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

try this and they will email the file

http://www.pro-tools.com/200k.htm

Author:  4wdParakeet [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks man I completely forgot about this post. I will be building me one in a year or two. Cheap as snot if you make all of it yourself.


Parakeet

Author:  callaway [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

I made my bender from the gottrikes plans :D

Author:  Inc [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

callaway wrote:
I made my bender from the gottrikes plans :D

What did that set you back?

Author:  callaway [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Inc wrote:
callaway wrote:
I made my bender from the gottrikes plans :D

What did that set you back?


- plans were $18
- hf ram was like $70 - $80
- the die is the 2" protools die $235 + shipping ( $260ish? )
- all the steel I bought ( tube stock for new frame, 120' of tube for cage, 2x2x0.25 tube stock to make the bender ) came out to just under $900. Maybe in the $150ish range for the tube for the bender

to make the bender ( with die ) in the $500 range... maybe... :P

Author:  Inc [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

callaway wrote:
Inc wrote:
callaway wrote:
I made my bender from the gottrikes plans :D

What did that set you back?


- plans were $18
- hf ram was like $70 - $80
- the die is the 2" protools die $235 + shippin
- all the steel I bought ( tube stock for new frame, 120' of tube for cage, 2x2x0.25 tube stock to make the bender ) came out to just under $900. Maybe in the $150ish range for the tube for the bender

to make the bender ( with die ) in the $500 range... maybe... :P

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/