LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Honda Lawnmower
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44485
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Sport [ Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Honda Lawnmower

I got a honda mower with a GCV160 OHC engine that is not cutting it anymore. I want to run the GCV190. Does anyone know if I can pull the 160 and bolt the 190 without and modification?

Author:  KJ 119 [ Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

You should have no problem.Should be a direct replacement.What's it going in?
Dimentions are the same.Didn't see shaft size listed but should be the same.
Enjoy the X-tra horse. :wink:

Author:  warp2diesel [ Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Measure the length of the PTO shaft

You don't want to cut your grass to short or high.
Tape measure is good enough to check length.

Author:  Sport [ Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:07 am ]
Post subject: 

I had bought the black max mower from sams and it came with the 160 but I need a little more power. I will have to check drive shaft length. I should be able to swap that out too right?

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think Tim The Toolman Taylor can help you.

Author:  Sport [ Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

Now that you mention it, is there anyway to increase the "power" of the 160?

Author:  warp2diesel [ Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Bigger Honda Engine is....

Sport wrote:
Now that you mention it, is there anyway to increase the "power" of the 160?


Cheaper than a Turbo Kit.

Harbor Freight makes Cheap Chinese Copies of Honda Engines, I put one on my old rototiller, works great.

Author:  KJ 119 [ Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sport wrote:
Now that you mention it, is there anyway to increase the "power" of the 160?


There is nothing you can do to increase the power of your motor,and you don't swap the shaft.
If the shafts are not the same,than it's not worth your time to modify.If they measure the same than swap it out.
The X-tra power would be nice.
I run the Honda GXV160 5.5 HP,in a Toro Proline model 22195,and I've been known to use this thing as a bush hog.The best mower/engine I've ever owned(hopefull ever will own),one pull everytime. :wink:

Author:  Sport [ Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:52 am ]
Post subject: 

Mine bogs down and gives me a hard time in taller grass. I do try to cut it low and have a tendency to let it get too tall but hey am I asking for too much. :D

I will probably just suffer and maybe upgrade next season.

Author:  CRDMiller [ Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:16 am ]
Post subject: 

Not to be an booty, but have you considered sharpening the blade and preforming routine maintenance?

I dont have any experiance with this particular mower or even this particular engine but i have worked on thousands of briggs, tecumseh, lawn boy, kohler, etc (oddly never honda, lol) My grandfather owns a small engine repair shop in Bartlett Tn, and i grew up under a shade tree with a screwdriver in my hand, standing over anything from a Snapper to a Yazoo.

My point is while i am far from an expert, i do have more "in the field" experience than i need (my job does not involve lawn mowers, heck i don't even own any gas powered equipment).

I guess it's possible your deck is big and your 5hp aint doing it for you.

What's more likely is your running a dull mulch blade, a fouled intake/exhaust path or spark plug, damaged ignition, improper gapping, dirty air filter, dirty fuel filter, partially closed fuel cutoff, etc etc, the list goes on and on and on. Worst case your looking at a carb overhaul, the pathways and seats etc can easily get clogged.

Of course it does not matter if you have a v twin, if your trying to scalp your 3 foot lawn, with a bagger or something, your going to have problems. You could even be giving it to much throttle, or perhaps a throttle cable has come loose, or slipped, and your giving it too much.

The governor spring could be worn out. It goes on and on my friend.

Dont be so quick to blame that five hp.

Hell i've used 30 year old snapper Riding Mowers with 5 hp briggs L head, and 32 foot decks, and i've cut up to a foot of wet grass with it. I had a 13 hp ohc yazoo with a 30 foot deck that could not cut the same. Blade was dull (plus the hydrostatic drive was sucking alot of power imho).

Personally i'd take a 2 stroke lawn boy over anything, but that's just me, Toro is a close second (cheaper). I had a 4 hp toro that would cut the most rediculious things, and that 4 hp had alot of rpm, made nice smooth cuts.

If your consistently cutting over 3-5 inches of grass, your doing something wrong.

You shoud not EVER be cutting more than 1/3 the total length of the grass from the soil up, for instance if it's 3 inches deep, and your cutting over one inch, your impeding root growth. This leads to thinning and balding.

As far as swapping goes, it's always the little things, like side shaft orientation and crank length, key ways etc etc etc, not usually worth it. I doubt your chassis is worth the trouble.

But for all i know, you just need a 30 hp :P

Author:  warp2diesel [ Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:16 am ]
Post subject:  Good points

CRDMiller is covering a lot of good points. My lawn mower would not start due to a bent shut off break handle and lacked power due to a bent bracket that tensions the governor spring. All simple fixes. Another problem can be a gummed up carb that needs to be taken apart and cleaned. A lot cheaper than swapping engines.

Author:  Sport [ Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:30 am ]
Post subject: 

Thanks for all the advice. Being that my mower is only one season old and was doing this from day one I would consider all that a little more. I changed the oil at the start of the season and replaced the air filter I have not changed the spark plug or the blade. BUt I have been wanting to do both.

I don't really have the time right now to maintain a nice lawn, the important thing for me is to just keep it clean and cut. I do let the grass get a little longer then I should but I guess I just expected more out of an OHC with this much horse.

Well see how it goes, I may swap the motor if I am still unsatified or just get another walk behind with the biggest dang motor I can find. The John Deeres at Lowes has 7 or 8 horse, that should do nicely. :twisted:

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/