LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

My New Cordless tools - ANTIQUE Tools
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=45310
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Jeep4me99 [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:40 pm ]
Post subject:  My New Cordless tools - ANTIQUE Tools

My Grandfather passed away in June....after the burial we all went back to his house to look through old stuff and see if we wanted anything. The garage was amazing....brought back lots of stuff, but here are some of the more interesting finds.

Hand Drill
Image

Image

Another Hand Drill
Image

Had no clue what this was, but it had a patent number stamped on it so did some research and it is a saw handle for Allway Saw. It was patented in 1935, not sure when it was bought.
Image

Really old Jack....not sure what vehicle it is from, still have to research it. The stamped plate on the handle base says "Walker - 1926 - Series A - Range 9 - 20 - Capacity 3 Tons" It also the where it was manufactured, so I'll start my digging there.
Image

Image

Author:  Fulltimer [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

A lot of the hand drills like in the first picture had drill bits inside the handle. The butt of the handle just screwed off. I have used both types in the pictures many times. The second one was referred to as a hand brace if I remember right.

When I was in the Army hospital I watched a doctor, from my bed, use the hand brace to put a pin through a man's leg for skeletal traction. The drill bit was stainless steel and real long. Once it was through the leg he used a bolt cutter and cut off the screw end of the bit. This was being done in the guys bed on the ward. They just pulled the curtain around the bed....almost all the way. This was in the late 1960's. I was in there from 1967 to 1969 so it was somewhere in there!

Terry

Author:  Jeep4me99 [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Fulltimer wrote:
A lot of the hand drills like in the first picture had drill bits inside the handle. The butt of the handle just screwed off. I have used both types in the pictures many times. The second one was referred to as a hand brace if I remember right.

When I was in the Army hospital I watched a doctor, from my bed, use the hand brace to put a pin through a man's leg for skeletal traction. The drill bit was stainless steel and real long. Once it was through the leg he used a bolt cutter and cut off the screw end of the bit. This was being done in the guys bed on the ward. They just pulled the curtain around the bed....almost all the way. This was in the late 1960's. I was in there from 1967 to 1969 so it was somewhere in there!

Terry


Thanks Terry...great story BTW :lol: But at least gives a time frame. So the tool could be around 40 years old. Pretty cool.

Author:  Sir Sam [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jeep4me99 wrote:
Fulltimer wrote:
A lot of the hand drills like in the first picture had drill bits inside the handle. The butt of the handle just screwed off. I have used both types in the pictures many times. The second one was referred to as a hand brace if I remember right.

When I was in the Army hospital I watched a doctor, from my bed, use the hand brace to put a pin through a man's leg for skeletal traction. The drill bit was stainless steel and real long. Once it was through the leg he used a bolt cutter and cut off the screw end of the bit. This was being done in the guys bed on the ward. They just pulled the curtain around the bed....almost all the way. This was in the late 1960's. I was in there from 1967 to 1969 so it was somewhere in there!

Terry


Thanks Terry...great story BTW :lol: But at least gives a time frame. So the tool could be around 40 years old. Pretty cool.


I'm going to guess from the vintage of everything there its a good deal older than that.

Author:  Jeep4me99 [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

well did a little research and found some markings on the first drill. It is a Miller Falls Hand Drill No. 2. Differences in design, stampings and handles put this specific one made circa 1929. 90 year old tool that still works...Can't beat that.

http://oldtoolheaven.com/hand_drills/drill2.htm

Terry, the top handle was hollow and unscrewed for drill bit storage. My grandfather must have taped over it since supposedly it was a pain in the but and there were problems with the cap loosening.

The other drill, called a "Bit Brace" is harder to identify since it doesn't have a model number, but seems to be manufactured between 1915 and 1948. I"ll have to look more into that one.

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jeep4me....you must be a youngun or not schooled in the art of old hand tools. I knew what that handle was for immediately before reading your info. I have used all of those tools in the past. I am old school. Ha! :lol:

:lol:

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

i've pulled similar bottle jacks out of model A fords and a few 30-39 ford coupes and sedans but that doesn't mean a whole bunch

they started using the bumper jacks alot more after the 40's

have found a few antique automotive screw jacks that work supprisingly well too

you may be able to cross reference the make of the bottle jack with a few antique and vintage car forums to figure out what it 'may' have came in, but as with everything it may have simply be bought at the store

at the least you've got fireplace decoration ;)

Author:  Jeep4me99 [ Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

Tokyojoe wrote:
Jeep4me....you must be a youngun or not schooled in the art of old hand tools. I knew what that handle was for immediately before reading your info. I have used all of those tools in the past. I am old school. Ha! :lol:

:lol:


I'll be hitting the 30 mark on August 16th. You must have used those tools when helping build the ark before the big rains came. :lol: Not all models came with the hollow handle though. They made it solid when they realized the cap would loosen as the tool was used and it just became a PITA.

Author:  Diggerfreek [ Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jeep4me99 wrote:
Tokyojoe wrote:
Jeep4me....you must be a youngun or not schooled in the art of old hand tools. I knew what that handle was for immediately before reading your info. I have used all of those tools in the past. I am old school. Ha! :lol:

:lol:


I'll be hitting the 30 mark on August 16th. You must have used those tools when helping build the ark before the big rains came. :lol: Not all models came with the hollow handle though. They made it solid when they realized the cap would loosen as the tool was used and it just became a PITA.


:shock: thats almost as old as dirt!! :lol:

Author:  Fulltimer [ Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jeep4me99 wrote:
Tokyojoe wrote:
Jeep4me....you must be a youngun or not schooled in the art of old hand tools. I knew what that handle was for immediately before reading your info. I have used all of those tools in the past. I am old school. Ha! :lol:

:lol:


I'll be hitting the 30 mark on August 16th. You must have used those tools when helping build the ark before the big rains came. :lol: Not all models came with the hollow handle though. They made it solid when they realized the cap would loosen as the tool was used and it just became a PITA.


I'm more than twice your age! :lol:

Terry

Author:  tan's2002kjlimited [ Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

Diggerfreek wrote:
Jeep4me99 wrote:
Tokyojoe wrote:
Jeep4me....you must be a youngun or not schooled in the art of old hand tools. I knew what that handle was for immediately before reading your info. I have used all of those tools in the past. I am old school. Ha! :lol:

:lol:


I'll be hitting the 30 mark on August 16th. You must have used those tools when helping build the ark before the big rains came. :lol: Not all models came with the hollow handle though. They made it solid when they realized the cap would loosen as the tool was used and it just became a PITA.


:shock: thats almost as old as dirt!! :lol:


Some of us are older than dirt, or at least the body feels that way.Image

Author:  kj-dec [ Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

Take good care of them, and remember your Grandfather when you use them, handle them, whatever.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/