| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| College! http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46006 |
Page 1 of 3 |
| Author: | Murphyman [ Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | College! |
I leave for my freshman year at college in 12 hours! Going to Appalachain State University. It's located in the mountains (hence the name) in North Carolina. Anyone have any wise advice they care to share for an unsuspecting frsehman? |
|
| Author: | JeepBumm68 [ Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Have fun bro. I am in my Soph year of college right now. It is @$#% awesome. The work does get harder and you are your own person in college. It is best to meet some people and start a study group. Be a nerd and get all your classes done. Cause like me i partied hard for the first year of college. Make sure you don't fail any classes. you will be fine man. It is a blast. Tons of hot chicks btw. |
|
| Author: | Budke [ Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Take your shoes off BEFORE the party starts. THen you don't have to worry about forgetting to take them off before you pass out. |
|
| Author: | Murphyman [ Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Budke wrote: Take your shoes off BEFORE the party starts.
THen you don't have to worry about forgetting to take them off before you pass out. Haha, this past Spring Break we had this one kid pass out twice. He took his shoes off, so we just tied his shoe's around his ankle with the shoelaces. From then on, well, use your imaginiation |
|
| Author: | Inc [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:32 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Don't take any classes that are too early, you'll eventually find it harder and harder to make it to them or just stop going altogether. Study hard, have fun and stay out of trouble. |
|
| Author: | Sir Sam [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:39 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Freshman 15. |
|
| Author: | STINGN [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:07 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
i got into Arizona State, but with 2 jobs, its nice getting 2 paychecks every 2weeks |
|
| Author: | Budke [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:16 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Sir Sam wrote: Freshman 15.
? |
|
| Author: | Boiler [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:28 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Budke wrote: Sir Sam wrote: Freshman 15. ? 15 as in pounds gained...I think he means pay attention to your diet and excercise. Make it a point to go to every class. Once you start skipping here and there, you'll want to skip them all. Every course that I took and didn't skip any classes I got an A or B in. It's too darn expensive these days to piss any of it away... |
|
| Author: | wheeee32 [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:40 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Study EVERY SINGLE DAY! My grades would have been much better had I done so. Stay safe also no matter if it's drinking or with the ladies. |
|
| Author: | tan's2002kjlimited [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:32 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Freshman in college. That takes me back 33 years. |
|
| Author: | tomsjeep [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:58 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Well, that's just awesome. Just a few things come around only once in life, and your freshman year is one of them. It's a great time in your life. Hope you enjoy it. Some people find themselves in college, some people lose themselves in college, and some spend the time searching for something they never find. However your journey goes, make the best of it. It's especially true that matriculating in an on-campus experience makes all the difference. As opposed to attending a commuter school and living at home. While things have changed since the Dark Ages when I attended, there are lots of new experiences awaiting you. Have a blast! |
|
| Author: | Boiler [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:47 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I hope you're living in a dorm your first year. Make a lot of friends there and hang onto them. Living in an apartment just isn't the same. Plenty of time for that anyway. |
|
| Author: | bugnout [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:51 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Go Mountaineers. Loved it when they upset Michigan a couple of years ago in Football. One of my buddies is a adjunct professor in the art department at Appalachian State. Have fun and learn a lot. not necessarily in that order. |
|
| Author: | jsc7002 [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:48 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Oh to be a freshman again |
|
| Author: | linewarbr [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:25 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: College! |
Murphyman wrote: I leave for my freshman year at college in 12 hours! Going to Appalachain State University. It's located in the mountains (hence the name) in North Carolina. Anyone have any wise advice they care to share for an unsuspecting frsehman?
Do NOT wear any Michigan paraphernalia. You will be immediately tarred and feathered, and laughed out of school. GO TO CLASS and take good notes. Don't get overly involved with any one woman unless you think she's "the one." If she is the one, she'll kick your butt if you don't study - one way that you'll know, she'll want the best for you. Talk to your professors, don't be a ghost that just comes to class and leaves as soon as it is over. I wish I had taken more advantage of my professor's approachability - something unique to a small school that you won't find in large public universities. Start a "L.O.S.T. - Appalachian Chapter" and set up some awesome trail rides. . . . |
|
| Author: | Quicksilversurf917 [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:35 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I just finished my first week of college as a freshman. It was really was fun and nice but my schedule is kinda hard. |
|
| Author: | tomsjeep [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:51 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Quicksilversurf917 wrote: I just finished my first week of college as a freshman. It was really was fun and nice but my schedule is kinda hard.
Well, you can always go back to high school. That's a joke. Don't know what your load is like, but when I was in grad school, I was pulling down 23 hours plus teaching 6 hours (sleep? what's that? social life? forget it!). I read between 3,000 to 5,000 pages per week, and thought I wasn't going to survive. But I did. You'll get through it. Just get a steady study schedule going, make sure you study, keep up with your reading, and take notes - learn to take notes (notes that make sense when you re-read them later!). If you've got a laptop, take that to the library with you when you're researching, and make notes on it, including functional info for footnotes, it'll save you a lot of time later when you have to crank out a paper. These are good times. Remind yourself of that. When you graduate, and get a job, on the job C and B work is unacceptable, and only results matter, even if your work is A level. |
|
| Author: | Blue KJ in PA [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Enjoy the experience...it is a time you will never have again. x2 on the reccomendation to make full use of interaction with the profs. I too went to a small school...LVC near Hershey,Pa...interacting with profs out of class is so helpful for you. I developed great relationships with some of them...had dinner at their homes...ate cheesesteaks at lunch with homegrown jabeneros...had BIO600 "class" in the evening at the Johnson's Bar. Just realize that the college experience can be the best or the worst time...it is up to you to make it what you want. |
|
| Author: | dog_party [ Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:48 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I'm with the others that suggested to keep your head in the books as much as possible. It's especially important during your freshmen year. It's so easy to get distracted, particularly when you're taking a bunch of stupid required classes that have nothing to do with your major. What's your major? Mine was studio art (drawing, painting, computer art, photography, etc.) and I also went to a small school (Morehead State U in Kentucky). If I had it to do all over again, I would have taken every stupid required class in the first couple years (with one or two art classes mixed in). I made the mistake of leaving a bunch of those worthless classes 'til the end of my under-grad career and regret it because I had less time to focus on my artwork. Oh, and keep away from the parties as much as possible during the week (or at least when you have classes the next day). |
|
| Page 1 of 3 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|