LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

I about cried!
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46151
Page 1 of 1

Author:  BugginKJ [ Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:00 pm ]
Post subject:  I about cried!

I watched a 2007 Liberty with the Jeep lights across the top, Jeep seat covers, aluminum rims and only 54,000 miles...........................GET CRUSHED! Then came the the Wranglers and the Cherokees, I had to walk away. Stupid cash for CLUNKERS garbage!

Author:  warp2diesel [ Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: I about cried!

BugginKJ wrote:
I watched a 2007 Liberty with the Jeep lights across the top, Jeep seat covers, aluminum rims and only 54,000 miles...........................GET CRUSHED! Then came the the Wranglers and the Cherokees, I had to walk away. Stupid cash for CLUNKERS garbage!


I hope it was not at a Subaru Dealership, that would be very depressing.

Author:  BugginKJ [ Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: I about cried!

warp2diesel wrote:
BugginKJ wrote:
I watched a 2007 Liberty with the Jeep lights across the top, Jeep seat covers, aluminum rims and only 54,000 miles...........................GET CRUSHED! Then came the the Wranglers and the Cherokees, I had to walk away. Stupid cash for CLUNKERS garbage!


I hope it was not at a Subaru Dealership, that would be very depressing.

I don't know where they come from, it was at the scrap yard that I saw this.

Author:  Albert [ Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

B holes that turn those in.....and an 07MY KJ too......jeeeezzzze. I'm disgusted. I am sorry but that's just how I feel.

Author:  Boiler [ Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

wouldn't an 07 with 54k be worth over 10 grand?

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:11 am ]
Post subject: 

Boiler wrote:
wouldn't an 07 with 54k be worth over 10 grand?
Yeah and with it mpg's they would only have gotten the $3500 rebate.

Author:  jdorris [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:50 am ]
Post subject: 

doesn't make sense. who would clunk a vehicle worth 3-4x the value?

Author:  durangotang [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:22 am ]
Post subject: 

Someone who was way upside down and used the clunkers rebate to knock the trade down so they could be way upside down in their new, fuel efficient car :lol:

Author:  tomsjeep [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:04 am ]
Post subject: 

According to my Jeep dealer (in for service & inspection sticker yesterday) some dealers were offering double deals on the rebates, so it's possible they got $7k for it.

Author:  Boiler [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:34 am ]
Post subject: 

More likely than not there are a few stupid people out there. Go figure.

Author:  TAHOE [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:34 am ]
Post subject: 

Chrysler was matching prices for a while so if you had a 3500 cash for clunkers, you got 7000. I drove by a lot this morning and they had all their clunkers setting on separate lot.... old CJ sitting there, hood and other parts were already stripped. Looked like a decent old jeep too.
The dealers have to drain oil, then put in a bottle of like liquid glass/sawdust and run them till the stop. Try to start again, then wait 30 mins and try to start. Once the motor is dead, the dealers can strip whatever they want, then off to the junkyard where they can be partd then crushed.... straight from a dealer mechanic.

Author:  warp2diesel [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:23 am ]
Post subject:  If the dealers ever get paid

The prices on used cars, SUVs, and Light Trucks will go up.
Cut supply, demand increases, prices go up.
I hope no independent mechanics, independent repair shops, or parts stores go bankrupt before this economic stunt created by our elected officials corrects its' self.

Author:  Albert [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

TAHOE wrote:
Chrysler was matching prices for a while so if you had a 3500 cash for clunkers, you got 7000. I drove by a lot this morning and they had all their clunkers setting on separate lot.... old CJ sitting there, hood and other parts were already stripped. Looked like a decent old jeep too. The dealers have to drain oil, then put in a bottle of like liquid glass/sawdust and run them till the stop. Try to start again, then wait 30 mins and try to start. Once the motor is dead, the dealers can strip whatever they want, then off to the junkyard where they can be partd then crushed.... straight from a dealer mechanic.


That is SAD.

I'll bet a lot of good jeeps were turned in too as many different models qualified going by gas mileage qualifications alone.

Author:  Blue KJ in PA [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

I drove through a local Ford dealer lot on Sunday and went down back where they had there clunkers packed in...lots of 90's F150s...quite a few exploders...and quite a few XJs and Grand Cherokees

Author:  TAHOE [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

Here is the supposed list for the top ten traded in vehicles.... lot less Exploders off the rode if it's true...

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers Trade-Ins:
1. 1998 Ford Explorer
2. 1997 Ford Explorer
3. 1996 Ford Explorer
4. 1999 Ford Explorer
5. Jeep Grand Cherokee
6. Jeep Cherokee
7. 1995 Ford Explorer
8. 1994 Ford Explorer
9. 1997 Ford Windstar
10. 1999 Dodge Caravan

wonder where all the GM vehicles are... :twisted: ; couple on blocks in my back yard :? :lol:
:twisted:

Author:  InCommando [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Chrysler or whomever didn't double anything: they just called whatever rebate they were offering " double clunker cash."

I hear that many idiots are taking the clunker cash & thinking that is a discount so the dealer won't go any lower. Silly consumers.

I cannot imagine the scenario where trading in an '07 for $3500 is possible, let alone advisable. This would have to be an extreme rarity. If someone was in a position to where having paid down the note on an '07 to where $3500 would help them in anyway, them being stupid enough to make this move is shocking. An interesting point is the "double upside down" scenario, and probably the only explanation. Car loans will be the new mortgage crises in a year or so for exactly this reason: people getting insane loans they can't handle to "save" on a new car. :roll:

Author:  KJ Willy [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Check this out if you did the program, you have to pay taxes on that money.

http://www.businessinsider.com/whoop...t-taxed-2009-8
Some of the drivers that bought new cars through cash for clunkers are learning that it wasn't quite the deal they hoped for.

Keloland Television: But many of those cashing in on the clunkers program are surprised when they get to the treasurer's office windows. That's because the government's rebate of up to $4500 dollars for every clunker is taxable.

"They didn't realize that would be taxable. A lot of people don't realize that. So they're not happy and kind of surprised when they find that out," Nelson said.

We imagine that MOST people didn't know the rebates were taxable. We certainly didn't.

Karl Denninger calls this hilarious, and explains the mix up:

The amusement here is how most (if not all) states compute sales tax (charged when you register the vehicle.)

When you buy a new car you pay tax on the difference between the new car's purchase price and the trade-in you present to the dealer. This is an intentional distortion in the law that is intended to favor dealers over private-party used car sales; if you sell your used car privately the new buyer pays sales tax but you do not get the offset on the purchase of your replacement vehicle - the only way to get that is to trade the car.

Dealers use this, of course, in negotiations, effectively pocketing the sales tax - and why not? It's a real difference to you!

But the "cash for clunkers" is not a trade-in. That's a $4,500 check from the government, basically.

So you get nailed at least once and possibly twice. Specifically, you pay sales tax on the full vehicle price (effectively paying sales tax on the $4,500!) and what's worse those states that tax income (that would be most of them!) might wind up counting this as income for state income tax purposes too, effectively taxing you twice.

Author:  KJ 119 [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

That's the kicker. :shock:

Author:  tomsjeep [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

Delightful. More government red tape. Just what I need more of in my life.


Not.


I heard some financial analyst on the news today stating that the C4C program has also driven up automobile costs. I couldn't follow all the logic chain in his argument (I just suck at math anyway), but if true it would be a not-so-happy outcome.

Author:  BugginKJ [ Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

TAHOE wrote:
Chrysler was matching prices for a while so if you had a 3500 cash for clunkers, you got 7000. I drove by a lot this morning and they had all their clunkers setting on separate lot.... old CJ sitting there, hood and other parts were already stripped. Looked like a decent old jeep too.
The dealers have to drain oil, then put in a bottle of like liquid glass/sawdust and run them till the stop. Try to start again, then wait 30 mins and try to start. Once the motor is dead, the dealers can strip whatever they want, then off to the junkyard where they can be partd then crushed.... straight from a dealer mechanic.

I don't know about being able to keep parts off of the "clunkers". I have a buddy that runs a towing company here in Toledo and he does a lot of towing for the local dealers and according to him you can keep nothing. I was also told that by the local Chrysler dealer that I also have abuddy working at, I suppose it who ya talk to and how close to the line of trouble they want to walk. But then again I know another company that has hired people to strip the cars or trucks of good/useable parts and scrap the rest.......so I have no clue what the "rules" are. It is just plain goofy idea all around.............

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/