LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Chicken Build up thread V2:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=47623
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Sir Sam [ Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:59 am ]
Post subject:  Chicken Build up thread V2:

So a raccoon got my chickens(RIP). So I went and got more. I got 4 black sex links, and 4 Arucana/Americana's.

Sex links are good layers, they are a cross between rhode island red roosters, and barred rock females(like my old black and white chickens). Arucanas are not as good of layers, and the feed conversion is not as good, but they lay a neat blue green egg.

And with that, I begin the waiting process:

Image
Image

Author:  Diggerfreek [ Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:05 am ]
Post subject: 

Cute little things :P

Sorry to hear about the others :cry:

Author:  eyehatetofu [ Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:06 am ]
Post subject: 

I hate raccoons, raccoons and opossums. Devil vermin that scurries about in the night infested with rabies, and eating poor baby chicks.

Author:  wheeee32 [ Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:45 am ]
Post subject: 

Some cute chicks there. Sucks about the stupid raccoon.

Author:  TAHOE [ Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

Wow, never thought a coon would kill a chicken, must have been pretty hungry. We had the arucaunas when I was little. I always had to take the eggs in for show and tell when I was little cause no one believe our chikens laid blue-green eggs.
We have to start worrying about coyotes now, they are moving in. I just got rid of my horse today which caused them to stay away, but with just our goats now, we'll have to watch them closer.

Author:  Sir Sam [ Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

TAHOE wrote:
Wow, never thought a coon would kill a chicken, must have been pretty hungry. We had the arucaunas when I was little. I always had to take the eggs in for show and tell when I was little cause no one believe our chikens laid blue-green eggs.
We have to start worrying about coyotes now, they are moving in. I just got rid of my horse today which caused them to stay away, but with just our goats now, we'll have to watch them closer.


Raccoons and foxes are big chicken predators, what pissed me off was that the coon that got my chickens just pulled them out of the coop, and eat the head, leaving the corpse in the backyard. Foxes will eat it, and so will raccons, but raccons will do that to spite you.

Author:  Budke [ Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

I know will solve your problem.

Land mines. :D

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

If you have a stock pile of eggs like the last time I was there, then you should be fine for awhile. :lol:

Author:  Sir Sam [ Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:

Sam on Wednesday wrote:
........back in oct a 'coon got my chickens, so I got some new chicks, they should start laying anyday now.

Well, we got a good amount of snow yesterday, about a foot to 18 inches of the heavy wet snow. Let the chickens out this morning, if it were not for the food they would have not dared to go out into the evil white stuff.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Plus some vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvM_jxkAnj4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=danzWXPs_9k


Sam on Friday wrote:
Well one of the black sex links was checking out the nesting box today, and then was checking out some other places, even went and crawled up under the Z and was hanging out under there.

Went back with a flashlight an hour later to see if she laid an egg, no dice, decided to check the nesting box in the coop and sure enough, one tiny, oddly shaped egg!

First egg of the new chickens!
It looks like 3 others are very close behind, at this rate it will only be a couple of days before I have breakfast!

Image
Image


Looking forward to more eggs soon!

Author:  Sir Sam [ Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:

And a video from a few months back when they were still inside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuJCMU7hEI4

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:

Wow! Did you try to put a head back on one of your chickens? That nail was too long if that's what you were trying to do.






:ROTFL:



:SOMBRERO:

Author:  DirtyKK [ Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:

ill have you know there is one less raccoon on the loose to kill your new chickens. my gf just hit one with her car and it took $1900 worth of damage.

Author:  Sir Sam [ Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:

well, I got another egg today!

I didn't get one yesterday, though it seemed like she was hanging out under one of the cars like she was nesting, and I'm pretty sure I heard the egg song at one point yesterday.....wondering if she is already playing hide the egg with me.

Well today I noticed she was doing the same thing, hanging out under the car like she wanted to lay. So I picked her up and put her in the nest box, she kinda scratched around and then got out and tried to get under the car again, so I picked her up, put her back in the nest box again, which she started checking out again. I decided this time to lock her in for a little while so if she wanted to lay she would be forced to use the nesting box, for awhile she was distressed and trying to get out, before kinda giving up and going back to the nesting box. I left her there for a half hour or so, and came back. Sure enough she was itchin to get out, and had laid an egg.

Woohoo!

Now I just gotta make sure to encourage her to lay in the nesting box, I hate playing "hide the egg" with chickens, they always find the craziest places to lay! And when you stop finding eggs one place a few days later you find a huge trove of them somewhere else!

Author:  Sir Sam [ Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:

Got another egg! Also a bunch of them decided to dust bath together.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Author:  stumpjumper_09 [ Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:

Last time I came home with 4 chicks................... Ah darn I don't remember how that worked out, all I know is when I woke up my tv, wallet, and phone were all gone....... Must have been a good night.

Author:  durangotang [ Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:

You gonna mod them or leave 'em stock? :mrgreen:

Author:  KJ 119 [ Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:

DirtyKK wrote:
ill have you know there is one less raccoon on the loose to kill your new chickens. my gf just hit one with her car and it took $1900 worth of damage.

:shock: Was it carrying an anvil?




Hey Sam,what do you do to try and deter preditors?

Author:  Sir Sam [ Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:

KJ 119 wrote:
Hey Sam,what do you do to try and deter preditors?


Keep them locked up at night, during the day it isn't much of a problem, its at night that you need to be worried about most predators.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/