LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Which saw would you rather have to use for metal cutting?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=48358
Page 1 of 1

Author:  jsc7002 [ Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Which saw would you rather have to use for metal cutting?

Im looking for a metal saw and I debating between a 14" Milwaukee chop saw and a 4.5" Clarke band saw.

I like that the band saw doesnt throw sparks and isnt loud but I like the portability of the chop saw and its a name brand with a 5 year warranty and Im not too sure about the warranty on the band saw, the biggest draw back for me with the chop saw is the blades wear down and it cuts down on the size of metal I can cut and it spins a big blade that hurts when you get it by it. I cant decide which would be better, Ill use it to cut everything from thin sheet metal to heavy square tube angle thats up to 3/8" thick.

Chop Saw
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200307899

Band Saw
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/powe ... 204.5%20in

Author:  Diggerfreek [ Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

Think it would hurt to get hit by the chop saw blad, just wait till the band saw blade pops.... If you are doing a lot of heavy/thick metal cutting, get the chop saw other wise get the band saw as it will give you a nice cut with out loosing a lot of material

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Don't expect straight cuts with that bandsaw.Get both sonce both have Pro's and Con's and each ones Pro's is the others Con's and so on.

Author:  warp2diesel [ Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Another option

PLASMA TORCH :!: :!:

Author:  durangotang [ Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have this bandsaw and it works great... I think they might be the same model http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200365120_200365120

The blade that is included with it is garbage though so order a second one.

It really depends on what you are going to be cutting though... I have to cut a lot of 16g-0.125" sheet so the bandsaw is the bees knees. It's relatively slow though compared to a chopsaw when it comes to hacking up square tubing. Like Troy said... you really need both.

For most people the horiz/vert bandsaw is a more versatile tool though.

Author:  kskj [ Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

I use a chop saw on the job quite a bit and it works great on pipe, tube steel, angle that type of material. But It will not work very well on sheet metal. For that you need a band saw or sawsall, jig saw, or some guys like to use a cut off wheel on a grinder. Make sure you get a good pair of safety glasses. I like using a sawsall on sheet metal but it takes alot of practice to get straight lines.

Author:  jsc7002 [ Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Another option

warp2diesel wrote:
PLASMA TORCH :!: :!:


I wish! one day Id like to get one, but probably not any time soon lol, eventually Ill probably get both chop and band saw but I can only afford one right now.

Author:  KJ 119 [ Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:02 am ]
Post subject: 

Both are nice but if I only had the bucks for one,it'd be a deep cut Milwaukee.
I've busted a ton of bandsaw blades and never had one go wild on me.

I dont know if any of you guys have used a X-band cordless bandsaw,but they are worth their weight in gold.

Author:  Inc [ Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:39 am ]
Post subject: 

durangotang wrote:
For most people the horiz/vert bandsaw is a more versatile tool though.

X2.

I bought a band saw over the chop. There are times when I'd like to have a chop saw, but the band saw has been great so far and I got a portable one as well so it is really nice to use it just about anywhere.

Author:  warp2diesel [ Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:53 am ]
Post subject:  Way to have both like me

Buy the band saw and a abrasive blade for your 7 1/4" hand circular saw.
Not exactly a chop saw but it cuts metal fast.
Don't own a Plasma Torch, but I have rented them for my job when I need to.

Author:  Budke [ Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Another option

warp2diesel wrote:
PLASMA TORCH :!: :!:


x2!!
But yeah, for thin metal and the occasional thick stuff, go with the bandsaw.
If you're going to be cutting mostly thick metal like tubing and angle and such then get the chop saw. And if you get the chopsaw, remember when cutting the metal, MEASURE FROM THE BLADE OUT!! That will save you loads of material! :lol:

Author:  Boiler [ Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:58 am ]
Post subject: 

Funny, we only use our chop saws for little stuff that's not worth loading on the bandsaw. Our band saw cuts pretty straight though, and you can walk away from it and do something else if you're cutting something thick.

Band saw blades break, but also wear down. We go through a few blades a week here, especially if we're cutting harder metals. The link below is similar to the saw we use I think. Ours is just a ton filthier and older. It also has a 20 ft roller table on one side and a 8 ft one on the other.

http://www.modernmachinerycompany.com/i ... -8-mark-3/

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/