LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

For you Mac users. . .
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50736
Page 1 of 1

Author:  linewarbr [ Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:11 pm ]
Post subject:  For you Mac users. . .

What tools do you use to live in a PC world? I've had my Mac for a while, and am starting to run my head up against the wall a little more on compatibility issues. My wife particularly has a bugger of a time with it.

Author:  onebaucom [ Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For you Mac users. . .

what are you wanting to run? by the way, you can buy a program to let you run windows on a mac.

Author:  oddball [ Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For you Mac users. . .

You don't need to run winblows on a Mac.

Are you using a Intel Mac? Which OS X version?

Microsoft makes Office for the Mac. Matter of fact, it is the only version of MS Office that is totally bug-free and works like it was meant to. Fwiw, during the past 7 years, the fastest growing development department at Microsoft is their Mac OSX division. That's according to the woman who heads-up the division at Microsoft. She attends and reports to Mac developer's and User's alike each year at the Mac Expo in San Francisco. MS also makes other software for Mac OSX.

Anyway - What else are you trying to do?

FYI, I once mentored new Mac User's (aka; "switchers") (online) for a few years. If you need no nonsense help, sign-up HERE. But be patient. The Admin check you out (by email addy & ISP address) before they let you in. I was once a Admin / mod there before the current owner bought the site from the original owner. I referred to "no nonsense" because that is what the forum is all about. If you want a Mac related site that also allows Off-Topic & BS sessions, then look for another Mac forum.

Author:  linewarbr [ Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For you Mac users. . .

I believe its an Intel Mac. I bought it a little less than a year ago at the Apple store in my local Best Buy. It was an open-box of the previous generation iMac - it has the keyboard with the numerical keypad on it still over to the right. I had them add some RAM to it while I was in-store to bring it up to 4 gigs like the current gen iMac.

The main thing I've been experiencing is with Office documents, and with file sharing - pictures, etc. I have iWork, so I can open Word and Excel documents and save in those formats as well, but when I do it somehow alters the format. For instance, if I create a Word document on a PC, then later access it on my Mac and add more to it and save it again, when I open it again on my PC it looks all crazy. This has particularly hit my wife because she is a teacher, and uses a PC at school. One time she used a Word test template, modified it on our Mac at home and saved it and emailed it to herself. Weh she opened it at school the next day to print it and give to her students, the margins had been all messed up and the multiple-choice answers were out of line, etc - stuff she hadn't messed with at all on the Mac.

Author:  Sir Sam [ Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For you Mac users. . .

I would just source Microsoft office for mac, there are many ways to acquire it.

Author:  Sir Sam [ Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For you Mac users. . .

also, wine will let you run .exe files natively from OSX:

Image
Image

Author:  MojaveKJ [ Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For you Mac users. . .

Going from Mac to Windows and back with .doc files created with current versions of Microsoft Word works well. It's worth the money to get MS Office for Mac, and it's a tax write off. Your wife can order it from MS for super cheap with the educational discount. My wife is an AP and I seem to recall our copy was $199 for 1 to 3 Mac installs. iWork is good if you stay in that program and don't port back and forth to Word.

I was raised on the Mac and love it like a trusted friend but I have had to use Windows machines at work for the last 7 years or so and have adapted fairly well to the Windows world.

Author:  daspes [ Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For you Mac users. . .

Another option is using NeoOffice or OpenOffice.org. Both are free, and are close enough to identical in all aspects to MS Office. I've had very few problems with sharig docs and files back and forth between my work PC (i.e. hell) and the macs at home. Ony problem I've ever had is hen using a colored font. I couldn't make it black again on the PC.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/