| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Finally back to work / new computer build finished http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51083 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | Boiler [ Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:08 am ] |
| Post subject: | Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
My mobo went south nearly 2 weeks ago, and I've been off my game ever since. Friday big brown delivered a ton of stuff, and I started my first home built computer. I had to have 32 bit windows xp for my CAD software & spaceball unfortunately. It should be a great build for that for some time though, and the nice thing is if anything goes wrong I feel confident in replacing it myself. I may even start accumulating spare parts for this thing, as I can see issues with compatability in a few years. All of this because my CAD runs about 5 grand for the new version. Well after 4 days of speedbumps my computer is finished, backlog of parts have been shipped, and I'm ready to get back to designing Liberty stuff! Sorry to those who had to wait for parts, everyone should have their items by Wednesday or Thursday. Check out my new PC! I'm thinking a custom desk build may need to be my next project. ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
|
| Author: | InCommando [ Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:49 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
DOn't forget to squeegee off the screen....
|
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
I ......SEE.........A..........BUMPER is that the sneak peek? And yes you need a real desk for your computer
|
|
| Author: | durangotang [ Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
I was expected a TIG welded aluminum desk
|
|
| Author: | linewarbr [ Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:02 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
Bumper. . . . ? BUUUUMMMPPPEEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!!!! |
|
| Author: | yodejt02 [ Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
just make a nicer version of the card table.... I happen to like the card table...............vintage
|
|
| Author: | Boiler [ Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
InCommando wrote: DOn't forget to squeegee off the screen.... ![]() Seriously thats either a camera problem or streaks from cleaning it...I cleaned about 1/32" of dust off of it that night. Yep, thats a preview. All you get for about another month... |
|
| Author: | linewarbr [ Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:54 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
I might need to get a case of wanderlust and check out Muncie, Indiana. . . |
|
| Author: | Boiler [ Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
LOL, Muncie is the last place I'd go for a vacation. But your welcome to stop by if you're in the area! |
|
| Author: | Budke [ Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:19 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
I now know what bumper I want. |
|
| Author: | mikey1273 [ Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:56 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
Nice Job Boiler. Asus is a good choice for the Mobo. I have built so many computers but then computers are my job. |
|
| Author: | Boiler [ Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
mikey1273 wrote: Nice Job Boiler. Asus is a good choice for the Mobo. I have built so many computers but then computers are my job. Thanks. I owe meduncan some thanks for helping me along the way with my computer. He's a computer guru and I held him hostage. No CAD for Boiler = no bumper for meduncan I like the whole thing, especially the case. I could have done without all of the lights and clear panels, but I love the 4 fans and the space for expansion. Also the top interface area rocks! Beats all of my dell cases by about 50x. |
|
| Author: | mikey1273 [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:37 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
Yeah that case is nice..... from what I seen all the parts you picked look to be well quite good. I had done a simular build years back for gaming, that case was a monster I should have kept it and rebuilt in it instead of selling and parting it out when it became obsolete. Instead I got an afordable Dell quad core loaded it with memory and set it up for a media center with a TV tuner and all. I don't game anymore so what I have is great for me, I can enjoy my music, movies and record tv I sometimes miss, it even does HD. |
|
| Author: | Boiler [ Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:13 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
Ok after a week using this computer, I have one issue with it. Cooling is important to computers, so I got one that I thought would be adequate. I've got 2 fans in the front, one each per hard drive, with the hard drives right in the middle over them. I've also got a big "case wide" fan on top, and one in the rear. My beef is that they blow so much air that it is making me freeze. Seriously. My hands are like blocks of ice after an hour of CAD work with it on my desk, and I have to wear a sweatshirt. It is like sitting here with a ceiling fan above me on medium, and personal hand fans as well. My wife was even complaining about a breeze making her cold 4 feet away. It's 70 degrees in here, with a wind chill of about 45.... |
|
| Author: | corwyyn [ Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:44 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
Boiler wrote: Ok after a week using this computer, I have one issue with it. Cooling is important to computers, so I got one that I thought would be adequate. I've got 2 fans in the front, one each per hard drive, with the hard drives right in the middle over them. I've also got a big "case wide" fan on top, and one in the rear. My beef is that they blow so much air that it is making me freeze. Seriously. My hands are like blocks of ice after an hour of CAD work with it on my desk, and I have to wear a sweatshirt. It is like sitting here with a ceiling fan above me on medium, and personal hand fans as well. My wife was even complaining about a breeze making her cold 4 feet away. It's 70 degrees in here, with a wind chill of about 45.... I'm thinking it's time for a quick duct design, something to fit over the fan exhaust(s) and direct the air away from you. So what CAD software are you running? I used to do that stuff for a living but haven't touched anything since AutoCAD Release 14 (about 15+ years ago). |
|
| Author: | Tokyojoe [ Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:29 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
I wouldn't have the case sitting right in front of a window. Radiant heat from the sun is killer on a black case. |
|
| Author: | Boiler [ Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:51 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
Tokyojoe wrote: I wouldn't have the case sitting right in front of a window. Radiant heat from the sun is killer on a black case. It is by a window, but where I live that window sees very little light, and the blinds are always closed there. corwyyn wrote: So what CAD software are you running? I used to do that stuff for a living but haven't touched anything since AutoCAD Release 14 (about 15+ years ago). I use an Autodesk Inventor 8, an old version of AutoCAD's 3d solid modeler. I also use AutoCAD 2005. |
|
| Author: | DirtyKK [ Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:47 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
oh hey my roommate has that same case. only thing is he has a white D: drive. dont worry i give him stinky poo all the time cause its killing my OCD |
|
| Author: | Tokyojoe [ Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:54 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
Minus software, your total cost is.........? I usually build my own PC's also but I might go with the commercial made high end beast for once. I hate the software issues I always have to deal with when upgrading. Mine is about 3 yrs old since my last upgrade and it was a pain doing software transfers from old to new HD's. I suck at the BIOS stuff also. Couldn't get all of my 250 Gig HD to be recognized. I just realized that my Antec tower case is ancient..... it's 8 yrs old. |
|
| Author: | Boiler [ Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:23 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Finally back to work / new computer build finished |
Well I did not shop around at all. I was in a jam for a CAD machine, had to stick with 32 bit XP SP2 (my version of inventor can't use SP3 or any of the modern OS's, as is the same for my spaceball). So I bought what I thought was best for my application, and it ran me about $950. Then an extra $100 to ship it in two days because I couldn't lose a weekend of work. |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|