LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Street bike
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51110
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Quicksilversurf917 [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:19 am ]
Post subject:  Street bike

Well I'm getting a street bike here soon and I dont have my license yet but right when I get out of school, I'm going to take the test. I'm looking into getting a Yamaha R6, anyone have one?

Who owns a street bike that could give me some advice on them? I've never rode on one, I've only sat on them.

Oh and if you do own a bike.... What kind?

Author:  DirtyKK [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Street bike

take the msf course. google for places to take it around where you live. in some states if you take the course and show the dmv your certificate you wont have to take the test. besides its a good learning experience if youve never been on a bike. nothing is better training then getting out and riding, the more you ride the better youll be. many people might say to start on something smaller then a 600 but i think if you dont ride like a dink you can learn on any size bike. dont buy a new bike for your first and understand that youre more then likely gonna drop it or crash it. theres a saying that there are those that have gone down and those that will, take it for what its worth. right now i ride a 08 600rr and lookin to pick up another project to turn into a boober or cafe racer.

Image


please please please if youre gonna ride in little to no riding gear, at least wear a full face helmet.

Author:  long_tall_texan [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Street bike

I have ridden bikes my whole life. Grow up on dirt bikes when I was a kid. Then went to the street at 15. By all means, if you have never ridden, take the training course. Best way to learn is just hours on a bike. I highly suggest learning on a dirt bike. Much softer falls, and you don't have to worry about cars. If not, just ride as much as you can in non-city environment where it is just you and the open road. Learn how it handles. Learn your limits. And as hard as it is to keep a level head with the adrenaline rush that all that horsepower between your legs gives, try to keep in mind that one mistake, couuld be your last. Not trying to be a downer, I love bikes. I just also know many friends, and family that have made that 1 mistake that did, or almost end them.

I don't have a bike right now. I like the old school Japanese race bikes. My last one was an 82 Honda CB900F like this one:

Image

Loved that bike. It was the last year before they started making the Interceptors and the introduction of modern sport bikes. Mine had a cafe race package on it with a small fairing and back set foot pegs, shifter, and brake. Stripped the blinkers and had straight drag bars on it. I also had a Vance & Hines 4 into 1 Header and K&N individual pod filter on it. It was a great drag bike.

I would suggest nothing less than a 600cc, depending on your size. Even being a first bike, you always want to have enough power to get out of the way of that car that does not see you.

Author:  NS02KJ [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Street bike

Ride like everybody is out to get you. Assume that all cager's do not see you. I don't remember how many times someone came out in front of me, (they'd stop, look, and go) especially around intersections. There's soooo many people that don't STOP at stop signs anymore, they just roll right through. Be very careful.

I have been riding since the age of 9, so that's 35 yrs now, started on Honda Z50, then moved up 4 times as I grew. Now own a 2006 Harley Davidson Dyna Low Rider and 2004 HD Sportster 883 Custom. We are a HD family, great trips every summer on them also, even in the rain. Oh, I am a female!!

Take Care.

Author:  Quicksilversurf917 [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Street bike

Im definatly going to take the course, you have to in MD to be able to get your license. @long_tall_texan, I would love to be able to learn on a dirt bike but unfortunatly noone I know has one and I dont feel like going out and buying a used one...BUT i have rode my friends 600 raptor 4wheeler, and 400 honda 4wheeler, idk if a bike is similar to one of them or not?? :?

But I plan on getting a chest protector and a full helemt. What gear to you wear DirtyKK?

Author:  DirtyKK [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Street bike

I have alpinestars everything... suit, jacket, gloves, boots. Also a few assorted helmets, currently wearing a shoei rf1000... uh tc-6 or somethin, I forget what design off the top of my head

Author:  phxtoad [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Street bike

Spend some time in an empty parking lot practicing braking.

In traffic, use other cars as your 'downfield blockers' at intersections. Position yourself so they enter the intersection before you, but stay tight to them. If you lag, then you are exposed. People who want to turn in front of you will focus on the cars and not you. When they see the cars go past, they'll assume it's clear.

Be vigilant. Situational awareness is key. Know where other vehicles are around you at all times. Adjust your position to avoid other driver's blind spots. Get there attention so they know you are there.

Speed is fun, but it also reduces your reaction time - so go slow. You will lose traction at some point. It'll be because of water, oil, dirt, other FOD in the road. Be prepared.

Be respectful and practice common courtesy. It's a karma thing.

TL

Author:  BVCRD [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Street bike

I rebuilt a 1979 CB650 last summer. When I moved to Alaska some 10 years ago, they took off the motorcycle endorsement and I had to retake the test. Down in Canon City, there is a Vespa dealership and they have this thing going with the tester guy, where you can rent a vespa to take the test. Piece of cake.

Author:  long_tall_texan [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Street bike

phxtoad wrote:
You will lose traction at some point. It'll be because of water, oil, dirt, other FOD in the road. Be prepared.


I second that, Unfortunately, I found out the hard way on that one. Nothing I could do to avoid it. I was slowing down as I approached some railroad tracks. My front tire found a small oily spot on the ground where an 18 wheeler had dripped while waiting on a train. Since I was on the front and back brakes, front tire slid, and over the handlebars I went. I landed upside down on my shoulder on the asphalt. Somersaulted on over and slid to a stop sitting straight up on my bottom - just in time for the stop . The bike came sliding up about 5 feet beside me. Luckily all I had was a broken collarbone and some torn ligaments and tendons. Had shoulder surgery to fix it. Not too much damage to the bike either. I was lucky.

Author:  MikeD0106 [ Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Street bike

I know you said you were going to take the MSF course so I won't tell you to take it. Well I guess I kinda did :)

I used to ride & miss it a lot. Unfortunately I had a run in with truck who pulled out in front of me. She was looking to make the turn that was right where I was about to pass her. I know people earlier have mentioned similar events. The difference probably is that she told the cops that she saw me & still did it. Thankfully I hobbled away only with road-rash & a broken hand. In my case there wasn't much I could do so always be on the look out because they aren't looking for you unless they ride too.

My old bike was a 2002 Honda CBR F4i... It was a great bike. My buddy & I took the MSF course & bought our bikes at the same time. He got the Yamaha R6 & I got the Honda. He's since upgraded to a Busa. I'm still looking/saving for my next one.

This is what my old bike looked like.
Image

Author:  InCommando [ Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Street bike

DirtyKK wrote:

please please please if youre gonna ride in little to no riding gear, at least wear a full face helmet.


Yeah, because you wanna leave a pretty corpse.... :-)r

Yes, I ride. About 15K a year until '09.

An approved rider course is, IMHO, the only way to start if you have little or no life experience with bikes, and a great way to start if you do. Many insurance companies will give you a discount if you have passed such a course. Some companies (Like H-D did when I bought my last bike in '07) will give you some credit towards merchandise & stuff.

Slow speed control is very important. Impressive control at a couple of MPH gives you impressive control at speed, where the gyroscopic effect is aiding you anyway.

Author:  tommudd [ Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Street bike

Been riding since 1972 but only Harley's, never owned any of the"other"makes, although I did teach my "first" wife to ride on a 900 Kaw with a big bore kit in it! :wink:
I thing I didn't see any one mention
no matter what others around you are doing, No showing off with tricks/ standing on your head riding, doing back stands on the freeway. :shock: Just take it slow and easy and like everyone has mentioned take the course and watch every vehicle, every person, yes people will walk out in front of you!
be safe and have fun

Nothing like having your knees in the breeze!

Author:  stumpjumper_09 [ Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Street bike

Well, Looks like I showed up to the party a little late.......... Only thing left to say is that a 600 is a heck of a rocket for a beginner. Just remember the front tire does not always want to stay on the ground on that thing and everyone on 4 wheels is out to get ya. Keep your head on a swivel like a bobble head doll, watch everything that moves. Even obsticals that would be no problem in a car can lay you down in a hurry. I laid mine down after hitting a raccoon. :banghead: oh yeah GSXR750

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/