LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Help with buying a Netbook!bought one THANKS!
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51345
Page 1 of 1

Author:  tommudd [ Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Help with buying a Netbook!bought one THANKS!

Ok my wife wants me to bring her a Netbook over when I go and I know nothing about them!
Through the State ( where I work) I can buy the following with some pretty good prices
I want something that has a nice size keyboard, some seem really dinky!
longer battery life
easy for her to use for general emails/pictures things like that
She has a larger Laptop for her work with the University/ teaching etc so this would be for traveling and general work when she doesn't want to carry the larger one

all of these come with external hard drives included in the package

here is the list they gave us today to choose from

ASUS Eee PC 1005 HA
1 GB-160 GB

Acer Aspire One Blue D-250-1326
1 GB-160 GB

Dell Mini 10
1 GB DDRZ - 250 GB

HP mini
1 GB-160 GB

any good ones in the bunch?
Thanks

Author:  yodejt02 [ Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pretty sure all of them run on the Intel Atom processor. Its good enough to do what a net book is set up for, net only functions. I would look at keyboard size, weight, memory, and how much room one would have to rest their hands on the net book. (that area below the keyboard). i believe the dell has the longest battery life somthing like 8 or 9 hours but that might make it on the heavier side. Portability is key since you are buying a net book so check the weight. Check Newegg.com you might get just as good of a deal on a better netbook with more RAM and bigger HD!

Author:  ATXKJ [ Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read this about 15 minutes ago
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36003442/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/

They liked the Dell - but said there wasn't really much difference

Author:  warp2diesel [ Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got my wife the Dell A-90.
Go for the electronic hard drive.

Author:  GeoJeeper [ Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have 3 netbooks in the house. 2 are the Asus 1000H, the newest is my wife's Asus 1005. We love them. Generally, I only buy HP computers. Have had great luck with them. Haven't like the Dell's that I've worked on. I have no experience with Acers.

Author:  wecwbe [ Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the HP Mini 1000 (there is a newer model now). It has a keyboard that is 92% of the normal size. I really like it and it is pretty good at most tasks that don't require massive CPU power (the atom processor is not a high end processor, it is designed for low power and long battery life). I think I get somewhere between 2 and 3 hours on the standard battery andover 6 hours on the larger battery. I have a friend that has a Dell mini 10 and it looks to be made from the same parts. My guess is a lot of these netbooks are very similar.

Author:  501 [ Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have a netbook but I did have a Dell laptop, I bought it in 02 and I just retired it during the fall of 09. I've dealt with HP/Compaq (my Dad buys them) they are okay, but I've had better luck with Dell. I use Dell at home and at my office and never had any major problems with them. I'm no computer expert, but I've always been able to fix anything a Dell has thrown at me.

Author:  tommudd [ Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well 501 is one that knows I am stupid when it comes to computers even though I am on them 12/14 hours a day!

With the ASUS Eee 1005HA it comes with a Dual Interface External DVD-R/RW drive as well also a 8 GB data flash drive, plus carrying case , extended warranty, and some more things for less than 1100 for two of them shipping etc. included
I have found them for 350/400 tonight but haven't looked up the external hard drives yet to see how much they are, so not sure if its a good price or way off base.

Author:  HoosierJeeper [ Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any of them but the Dell. Probably the HP.

Author:  mikey1273 [ Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Help with buying a Netbook!bought one THANKS!

So what did you buy? Asus?

I have had the Asus 1005HA since summer. I upgraded my Ram to 2 GB and now have Windows 7 Pro on it. I like it for trave,l work on switches in those little wiring closets we have and just wasting time on the internet.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/