It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Help with buying a Netbook!bought one THANKS!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:16 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Ok my wife wants me to bring her a Netbook over when I go and I know nothing about them!
Through the State ( where I work) I can buy the following with some pretty good prices
I want something that has a nice size keyboard, some seem really dinky!
longer battery life
easy for her to use for general emails/pictures things like that
She has a larger Laptop for her work with the University/ teaching etc so this would be for traveling and general work when she doesn't want to carry the larger one

all of these come with external hard drives included in the package

here is the list they gave us today to choose from

ASUS Eee PC 1005 HA
1 GB-160 GB

Acer Aspire One Blue D-250-1326
1 GB-160 GB

Dell Mini 10
1 GB DDRZ - 250 GB

HP mini
1 GB-160 GB

any good ones in the bunch?
Thanks

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:58 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:58 pm
Posts: 645
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
pretty sure all of them run on the Intel Atom processor. Its good enough to do what a net book is set up for, net only functions. I would look at keyboard size, weight, memory, and how much room one would have to rest their hands on the net book. (that area below the keyboard). i believe the dell has the longest battery life somthing like 8 or 9 hours but that might make it on the heavier side. Portability is key since you are buying a net book so check the weight. Check Newegg.com you might get just as good of a deal on a better netbook with more RAM and bigger HD!

_________________
Apatosaurus, Jurassic Park Edition


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:07 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:59 pm
Posts: 5171
Location: Austin, TX
I read this about 15 minutes ago
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36003442/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/

They liked the Dell - but said there wasn't really much difference

_________________
2005 CRD
stuff
Skeptic quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:41 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:49 pm
Posts: 3554
Location: Aurora, IL
Got my wife the Dell A-90.
Go for the electronic hard drive.

_________________
2006 Pearl Green CRD
Magnaflow 2 1/2" Cat Back
KJ Extra Leg Room Brackets, Carter Lift Pump, V6 Airbox, ORM
Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:49 pm
Posts: 210
Location: Cedar Springs, MI
We have 3 netbooks in the house. 2 are the Asus 1000H, the newest is my wife's Asus 1005. We love them. Generally, I only buy HP computers. Have had great luck with them. Haven't like the Dell's that I've worked on. I have no experience with Acers.

_________________
2004 Liberty - 2009 JKU


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:57 am
Posts: 496
Location: Monument, Colorado
I have the HP Mini 1000 (there is a newer model now). It has a keyboard that is 92% of the normal size. I really like it and it is pretty good at most tasks that don't require massive CPU power (the atom processor is not a high end processor, it is designed for low power and long battery life). I think I get somewhere between 2 and 3 hours on the standard battery andover 6 hours on the larger battery. I have a friend that has a Dell mini 10 and it looks to be made from the same parts. My guess is a lot of these netbooks are very similar.

_________________
2010 Liberty 4x4 Limited
Trailer Tow Group, Sunroof, Skid Plates

1999 Wrangler Sahara
2" Teraflex lift with flexarms, ARB air lockers Front/Rear, Skid Plates, BFG 31x10.50 ATKOs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:43 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:02 am
Posts: 2053
Location: Michigan City, IN
I don't have a netbook but I did have a Dell laptop, I bought it in 02 and I just retired it during the fall of 09. I've dealt with HP/Compaq (my Dad buys them) they are okay, but I've had better luck with Dell. I use Dell at home and at my office and never had any major problems with them. I'm no computer expert, but I've always been able to fix anything a Dell has thrown at me.

_________________
Blood Clot Red 03 Punisher Edition
245/75-16 Duratracs, Soft 8's, Ironman/clevis Lift, Monroe Sensa-trac rear shocks, JBA 3.5, GTP Hood Louvers, Roof Basket & Light bar, Mudd's Garage Rear Bumper
custom made items: cross rails, grill inserts, cargo shelf, lightbar, pin stripping & rock rails.
L.O.S.T. #DW090501


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:16 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Well 501 is one that knows I am stupid when it comes to computers even though I am on them 12/14 hours a day!

With the ASUS Eee 1005HA it comes with a Dual Interface External DVD-R/RW drive as well also a 8 GB data flash drive, plus carrying case , extended warranty, and some more things for less than 1100 for two of them shipping etc. included
I have found them for 350/400 tonight but haven't looked up the external hard drives yet to see how much they are, so not sure if its a good price or way off base.

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with buying a Netbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:10 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:23 am
Posts: 1218
Any of them but the Dell. Probably the HP.

_________________
05 KJ Limited 4x4 in Light Khaki: Detours USA Backbone, Warn M8000, Huskyliners, RockLizard Super Skink sliders, OME/Bilstein Lift, JBA UCA's, 245/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
07 LR3 SE V8
1996 XJ Country
2015 KL Limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with buying a Netbook!bought one THANKS!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:48 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:47 pm
Posts: 1817
Location: York,PA
So what did you buy? Asus?

I have had the Asus 1005HA since summer. I upgraded my Ram to 2 GB and now have Windows 7 Pro on it. I like it for trave,l work on switches in those little wiring closets we have and just wasting time on the internet.

_________________
2006 Liberty CRD Limited Deep Beryl Green Metallic Clear coat, Fumoto valve, MH ProVent (removed), GDE Eco tune,
OME 790/948 springs, OME struts, OME N132L shocks, Jeepin by Al A-arms, Hercules Terra Trac AT2 245/75R16
Weeks Stage 1 EGR delete, 5 volt steel glow plugs


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com