| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51805 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | stumpjumper_09 [ Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:51 am ] |
| Post subject: | Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
My first thought when I climbed into the FJ is... "So, this is how a turtle feels?" It's roomy but you can't see anything behind or beside you. The worst thing was when I got back I saw my libby sitting there and realized there is no way I could get rid of her. Especially for an import |
|
| Author: | teckman02 [ Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:53 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
what did you think of the 3 wipers in the front |
|
| Author: | stumpjumper_09 [ Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:54 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
They do the job but.. um..
|
|
| Author: | haulin5 [ Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:15 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
That's one of the number one reasons why I ended up with Libertys. By far, it's the easiest car/SUV/truck I've ever ridden in or driven when it comes to visibility on all sides. I love that & the turning radius. |
|
| Author: | Sir Sam [ Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
haulin5 wrote: That's one of the number one reasons why I ended up with Libertys. By far, it's the easiest car/SUV/truck I've ever ridden in or driven when it comes to visibility on all sides. I love that & the turning radius. Have you tried an XJ? All of those things are better. |
|
| Author: | haulin5 [ Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:26 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
Nope----but I was looking to replace two vehicles made in the mid 90's, and wanted something made at least 2002 or later. I've ridden in Grand Cherokees before & had a serious issue with headroom. I've never ridden in an XJ before. |
|
| Author: | wecwbe [ Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:29 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
stumpjumper_09 wrote: My first thought when I climbed into the FJ is... "So, this is how a turtle feels?" It's roomy but you can't see anything behind or beside you. The worst thing was when I got back I saw my libby sitting there and realized there is no way I could get rid of her. Especially for an import I'm with you on the visibility. I got in one at a car show and I couldn't see worth a darn. It is probably a very capable vehicle but I wouldn't want to be in one in a dangerous situation offroad. You might as well close your eyes. |
|
| Author: | Sir Sam [ Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:02 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
haulin5 wrote: Nope----but I was looking to replace two vehicles made in the mid 90's, and wanted something made at least 2002 or later. I've ridden in Grand Cherokees before & had a serious issue with headroom. I've never ridden in an XJ before. Visibility is great in an XJ, like driving a terrarium. Newest ones are already 9 years old though. :sob: |
|
| Author: | Boiler [ Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:18 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
I wanted to get an xj back in about 2000, but when I sat in them I had major headroom problems. Long body, big head, bad news for headroom. Heck the liberty is barely tall enough. I couldn't sit in one with a sunroof without rubbing my hair on it. |
|
| Author: | jimymc [ Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
My wife and I looked at the FJ's and test drove one. My wife's first comment after we got out was "I couldn't see over the hood". I am paranoid about seeing around me when I drive and the Liberty is really good about being able to "see". The hood is a little high/long, but it dang sure isn't like an FJ. |
|
| Author: | Sport [ Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:13 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
Loved the interior on this thing. Awesome seats, plastic lining on the floor and the suicide doors are cool. no good on the visibility. |
|
| Author: | stumpjumper_09 [ Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:38 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
Sport wrote: Loved the interior on this thing. Awesome seats, plastic lining on the floor and the suicide doors are cool. no good on the visibility. If the libby had the seats and the floor It would be perfect!!! |
|
| Author: | JL Rockies [ Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
In some ways the FJ is a nicer vehicle. I would've bought one back in 07 but JL Audio wouldn't let me so I went with my #2 choice. I think that an FJ and KJ is not a good comparison since Toyota built it to compete with a JK. A KJ (or KK) vs Rav4 (or Highlander) is more apples to apples. |
|
| Author: | stumpjumper_09 [ Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:02 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
JL Rockies wrote: In some ways the FJ is a nicer vehicle. I would've bought one back in 07 but JL Audio wouldn't let me so I went with my #2 choice. I think that an FJ and KJ is not a good comparison since Toyota built it to compete with a JK. A KJ (or KK) vs Rav4 (or Highlander) is more apples to apples. IFS vs IFS |
|
| Author: | Sport [ Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:21 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
The after market has been very kind to the FJ and big companies have put together 6" lifts for them which will let you run a 35" tire. I do like them and think they look kick butt all setup, stock is another story, yuck. If jeep doesn't throw a diesel or at least a larger gas motor in the wrangler then the Liberty will probably be my last jeep. I want to be able to tow 5k. I may buy an older jeep for a project vehicle. check out ttora.com, some nice FJs in there. |
|
| Author: | JL Rockies [ Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:44 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
stumpjumper_09 wrote: JL Rockies wrote: In some ways the FJ is a nicer vehicle. I would've bought one back in 07 but JL Audio wouldn't let me so I went with my #2 choice. I think that an FJ and KJ is not a good comparison since Toyota built it to compete with a JK. A KJ (or KK) vs Rav4 (or Highlander) is more apples to apples. IFS vs IFS Yes but Toyota designed it to be offroad capable like the JK. If you want to compare a stock KJ vs a stock FJ offroad, the KJ is getting smoked. Then look at the cost to upgrade a KJ to lockers.... and how easy it is to put 35s under an FJ vs a KJ. Apples and Oranges....... It's just a matter of time before all Jeeps will be IFS too. |
|
| Author: | stumpjumper_09 [ Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:48 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
Well the whole point of me stopping to drive one was the fact that I tought I liked them but now I really don't see how it would make me any happier than my KJ does. A sawzall and some plexy may change my mind but doubt it. |
|
| Author: | JL Rockies [ Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:54 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
stumpjumper_09 wrote: Well the whole point of me stopping to drive one was the fact that I tought I liked them but now I really don't see how it would make me any happier than my KJ does. A sawzall and some plexy may change my mind but doubt it. Thats because you didn't need all the stuff that the FJ does better. |
|
| Author: | Sport [ Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
JL Rockies wrote: stumpjumper_09 wrote: JL Rockies wrote: In some ways the FJ is a nicer vehicle. I would've bought one back in 07 but JL Audio wouldn't let me so I went with my #2 choice. I think that an FJ and KJ is not a good comparison since Toyota built it to compete with a JK. A KJ (or KK) vs Rav4 (or Highlander) is more apples to apples. IFS vs IFS Yes but Toyota designed it to be offroad capable like the JK. If you want to compare a stock KJ vs a stock FJ offroad, the KJ is getting smoked. Then look at the cost to upgrade a KJ to lockers.... and how easy it is to put 35s under an FJ vs a KJ. Apples and Oranges....... It's just a matter of time before all Jeeps will be IFS too. That might have been the intent from Toyota but I wouldn't consider it capable "like" the JK. It can be a decent off roader but once you start modding a JK the beast just comes out and then there really isn't a comparison. Comparing a KJ to a FJ is more apple to apple for the Liberty people who mod and wheel and are happy with mild off road IFS performance. You can go bigger and probably for less in a FJ then a KJ but from what I have seen the KJ loaded up should be able to hold its own with the FJ. |
|
| Author: | durangotang [ Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ... |
JL Rockies wrote: stumpjumper_09 wrote: JL Rockies wrote: In some ways the FJ is a nicer vehicle. I would've bought one back in 07 but JL Audio wouldn't let me so I went with my #2 choice. I think that an FJ and KJ is not a good comparison since Toyota built it to compete with a JK. A KJ (or KK) vs Rav4 (or Highlander) is more apples to apples. IFS vs IFS Yes but Toyota designed it to be offroad capable like the JK. If you want to compare a stock KJ vs a stock FJ offroad, the KJ is getting smoked. Then look at the cost to upgrade a KJ to lockers.... and how easy it is to put 35s under an FJ vs a KJ. Apples and Oranges....... It's just a matter of time before all Jeeps will be IFS too. I don't know about this... the FJ guys like to think that it was made to compete with the JK.. our KJ's wheel neck and neck with the FJ's until you get into the big lifts... we just don't have the aftermarket support for the kind of R+D they get. |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|