LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=52823
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Budke [ Mon May 17, 2010 3:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

Jacksonville driver killed after flipping Jeep on 9A
The Florida Highway Patrol is still investigating.
Posted: May 14, 2010 - 1:23am

By Nicole Hernandez
A Jacksonville woman was killed after her Jeep flipped on Florida 9A south of St. Johns Bluff Road early Thursday evening.

Sharon Letro, 25, was southbound in the inside lane about 5:30 p.m. Thursday when she entered the outside lane, striking a sport-utility vehicle also in that lane, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. Letro lost control of her Jeep, which overturned and she was ejected from her vehicle.

Letro was pronounced dead at the scene. She was not wearing her seat belt, the Highway Patrol report said.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2010 ... ng-jeep-9a

Author:  SurfGuitar141 [ Mon May 17, 2010 3:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

I've been a professional fire fighter / EMT for 25 years now, have had to clean up more accidents than I care to remember, and I can tell you all first hand.....air bags are no substitute for wearing your seat belts, it's just not worth the risk no matter what vehicles you're driving...(or riding in)....buckle up.
More people die from getting ejected, and the only thing that will keep you from getting thrown out of a rolling vehicle is a seat belt.

Author:  Boiler [ Mon May 17, 2010 4:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

It's hard for me to believe people still don't wear them. They've been the law since I was young and I frankly feel weird not wearing one.

Author:  Zack A [ Mon May 17, 2010 4:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

SurfGuitar141 wrote:
I've been a professional fire fighter / EMT for 25 years now, have had to clean up more accidents than I care to remember, and I can tell you all first hand.....air bags are no substitute for wearing your seat belts, it's just not worth the risk no matter what vehicles you're driving...(or riding in)....buckle up.
More people die from getting ejected, and the only thing that will keep you from getting thrown out of a rolling vehicle is a seat belt.




Being a Vol FF, FT EMT for several years now, I can 2nd. You would be surprised at much that seat belt helps more then the airbags. Even if you do survive, your not going to look to good after your head goes through the windshield!!!

Author:  KJ 119 [ Mon May 17, 2010 5:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

I can't stand the seatbelt chime,but am thankfull for it.
It reminds me to put it on asap,where in my truck I don't remember to put it on untill I see a cop.
Some old folks are so set in their ways,my grandpa refuses to wear his.
Anytime he rides in the Jeep with me,we have to listen to the chime the whole way! :roll: Come-on Pops.

Author:  Budke [ Mon May 17, 2010 5:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

Boiler wrote:
I frankly feel weird not wearing one.


x2

Author:  Fulltimer [ Mon May 17, 2010 6:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

I will not move until all belts are in place. Anyone riding with me will either wear it or get out. That simple.

Terry

Author:  Budke [ Mon May 17, 2010 7:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

Fulltimer wrote:
I will not move until all belts are in place. Anyone riding with me will either wear it or get out. That simple.

Terry


Yeah, but you only have one other seat belt to worry about. :p

Author:  teckman02 [ Mon May 17, 2010 10:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

Fulltimer wrote:
I will not move until all belts are in place. Anyone riding with me will either wear it or get out. That simple.

Terry




Terry i am the same way if by chance that person trys to take it off wile the vehicle is moving i will pull over untill they put it back on

Author:  SETexasLibby [ Mon May 17, 2010 10:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

being a Safety professional this is one of my biggest issues when the workers drive machinery or vehicles. They say they don't like them cause theyre uncomfortable and "nerdy" better nerdy than dead. Luckily I had a mother and father who would not move the car until we were ALL buckled up. My cousin almost got killed when he was muddin' with our other cousin a few years back. He was ejected from the truck in a donut rotation and missed a tree by a couple of feet, broke his arms.

Author:  ga_repoman [ Mon May 17, 2010 11:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

Zack A wrote:
SurfGuitar141 wrote:
I've been a professional fire fighter / EMT for 25 years now, have had to clean up more accidents than I care to remember, and I can tell you all first hand.....air bags are no substitute for wearing your seat belts, it's just not worth the risk no matter what vehicles you're driving...(or riding in)....buckle up.
More people die from getting ejected, and the only thing that will keep you from getting thrown out of a rolling vehicle is a seat belt.




Being a Vol FF, FT EMT for several years now, I can 2nd. You would be surprised at much that seat belt helps more then the airbags. Even if you do survive, your not going to look to good after your head goes through the windshield!!!



I have to disagree myself and all i talk to will say that seatbelts cause more injuries than then save
starting with my own mother 1 month before i was born was in a accident were she was t-boned in the drivers door and had her seatbelt been on they tell her that i nor her would be around today...

SO I honestly say that it should be like a helmet law if you want to ride that way its your life and should be your choice...
just my 2 cents and i will pass the soapbox on to the next person to hope up on .......

Author:  L.O. [ Tue May 18, 2010 12:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

Sorry repoman....seatbelts save lives. (Just talk with the cops that go out to the wrecks....they are true believers)

Author:  501 [ Tue May 18, 2010 1:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

I can't understand why we are forced to wear seat belts in a car/truck when our childern ride on an over crowded school bus (some sitting on the floors) and none of them have seat belts on and this is okay. Also, I'm a lot safer in my jeep without a seat belt than any one that rides a motorcycle.Seems like if 'they' were really worried about our lives 'they' would ban motorcycles and start protecting our kids on the buses.

Author:  SurfGuitar141 [ Tue May 18, 2010 7:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

Obviously some of you nonbelievers have never rolled up on a serious accident to see a human body stuck half way through the windshield, or a vehicle sitting on it's roof and at least one of it's previous occupants lying dead wrapped around a tree 100 feet away.
It is a matter of choice, but your choices have an effect on others, next time think about those emergency responders that have to scrape your dead carcass up off the roadway, or pull it out of the windshield.....

I agree, a school bus should have belts for every child, I think it's insane that they don't......

Author:  mikey1273 [ Tue May 18, 2010 7:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

When I was 19 I was in a head on accident in a ford escort. I would have most surely not be here to write this today if I had not worn that seatbelt that night back in Sept. 1993 Yes I did suffer many inguries like 2 broken legs, a broken jaw, some hand inguries and lost a few teeth also. The fact is after time in Hospital and Rehab Hospital I was able to go home and continue out-patient theropy untill I could begin resuming a normal life less than 6 months after the crash. Had I not worn that seatbelt my family would have planned my funeral and burried me.

The chime is horrable but I am glad it is there it makes me remember to put that belt on so it stops if I forgot. when anyone rides with me and dosn't buckle I complain about the noise and so do they usually I will also.... I just say if you buckle up it will stop!!! so just buckle up!!! if there are kids in there, the vehicle don't move untill all are buckled in, I feel its important to set a good example with kids.

Author:  TAHOE [ Tue May 18, 2010 8:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

This is an article about my coworker's son who just died this past Sunday... alcohol was a factor, but he hit the tree not wearing a seat belt, the passenger had his on, walked away. Shame @ 17 yrs old just graduating. I too make sure everyone is buckled in, wife and kids do it automatically.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100516/NEWS01/305160032/-1/TODAY/Wyoming+teen+dies+in+crash

Author:  mikey1273 [ Tue May 18, 2010 11:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

that is a sad story Tahoe..... one thing that strikes me to show those that refuse to wear the seatbelt is that the kid who wasn't wearing it died and the other that was walked away. If I have to pick wear it and live to walk away from an accident or not and die i choose to live..... not sure why anyone wouldn't choose to live.

The seat belt laws are getting tougher here. used to be they couldn't ticket you for not wearing it unless you were pullled over for something else, which ment you got two tickets at once. Now in Pennsylvania they can pull you over and ticket you just for not complying with the seatbelt law if they like.

Author:  linewarbr [ Tue May 18, 2010 12:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

In 2008 a co-worker of mine rolled his Tahoe off the left side of I-10 on his way to work at about 5:45 am. He was not wearing a seatbelt, so was ejected into the trees in the median and hit one hard enough to fracture his skull and cause bleeding on his brain, as well as other serious injuries. He recovered, and afterward said he would have died had he been wearing his seatbelt since when the Tahoe rolled, the roof above the driver was crushed.

But, that is only speculation, considering that no one will know what the outcome would have been had he been wearing it.

It's a situation of the Law of Averages. For every one person that escapes serious injury in an accident because they were NOT wearing their seatbelt, 9.7 people's lives were saved due to wearing a seatbelt. We've all heard about people who say that they would have been killed or seriously injured in a crash if they had been wearing one, but those circumstances are few and far between. The reality is that more often than not, seatbelts save lives. Period.

So, if you're a gambling man (or woman) go ahead. But remember that at least in roulette or blackjack, you risk something because you stand to win something. Not wearing a seatbelt, you risk your life and really stand to win nothing - except to say that you're one of the "lucky few" that escaped serious injury.

Keep in mind that your child may decide to do as you do, and they may not be so lucky. They may be one of the ones that gets killed or maimed in what would have been a minor accident if they had been wearing their seatbelt. Our actions ALWAYS affect others, directly or indirectly.

Author:  myfirstjeep02 [ Tue May 18, 2010 12:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

I myself have flipped a truck back when I was in high school , 93 Dodge Dakota 4x4, v8 , and an old muddy road all the stuff a teenager needs to get in trouble, even upside down the seatbelt kept me planted so firmly that it wouldn't release, when I finally got it to let go I fell on the roof. only injury I got came from my dads checkbook as he smacked me with it and a bruised ego from being a rookie driver :oops: . Bottom line Seatbelts Save Lives.

Author:  STINGN [ Tue May 18, 2010 12:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just a reminder for everyone to wear their seatbelts

to make a long story short, maybe ill add pics...but in 1999, my brother rolled his YJ, with about 4 inches of lift and 33s on it...he never wore his seat belt, and always had his doors off and top down. but for some reason at 4 am, he decided to put on top and doors and his seat belt. witness said he saw him roll 4 times and the center console went out the windshield and he hit half a dozen or so cars. he walked away thankfully. he never wants to get anything besides a wrangler now. although he was considering lol

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/