| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Got a wake up call today. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53121 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | KJ 119 [ Thu May 27, 2010 6:33 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Got a wake up call today. |
My company offered free cholesterol screening today,so I said what the hell.Never had it checked before. Not so good. Guess all that good coonass food has caught up with me. I will be making some healthier choices from here out,on what goes in my body. Here's my results: 35Yr old Male Total choloesterol 216__Desirable under 200 HDL-29mg/dl__________Desirable at least 40 Triglycerides-295______Desirable Under 150 These passed the test LDL-128mg/dl_________Desirable under 160 or 130? Glucose-88mg/dl_______Desirable Under 160 Blood Pressure-109/70__Desirable Under 120/80 Anyone else have any recent results they would like to share. What's the best way to lower this stuff? |
|
| Author: | corwyyn [ Thu May 27, 2010 7:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
Foods high in soluble fiber will help - oatmeal and beans are two of the ones I eat on a regular basis. I just had a blood draw last week for a wellness screening; once i get the results I'll post them up. |
|
| Author: | Fulltimer [ Thu May 27, 2010 7:02 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
Watch what you eat....that means NOTHING that tastes good! Exercise...lots of it...choose something that is fun to do...nuff said on that one! 63 year old male 5'8" & 165lbs. Total Cholesterol...175 Should be under 200 Triglycerides...157 Should be under 149 HDL...32 Should be under 40 LDL...112 Should be under 129 Everything else was fine. I get a kick out of the doctors. They know all my medical conditions and yet they ask what I do for exercise. Then when I say nothing because I can't walk far, can't swim because of my shoulders, etc & etc, they say oh, that's right I remember now. Makes me wonder some times. But, it isn't like I'm their only patient.Terry |
|
| Author: | JL Rockies [ Thu May 27, 2010 7:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
I've been a vegetarian for 21 years. My bad cholesterol is non-existant and my good cholesterol is off the charts... at least it was in 2006. I've never had a sip of alcohol (or a cup of coffee) or taken any kind of mind-altering drug. I'm pretty much going to live forever... But seriously.... green-leafy vegetables will help out a lot with the triglycerides levels.... watch those because they can be an indicator of diabetes and are really bad for your heart. |
|
| Author: | JeepinJarhead03 [ Thu May 27, 2010 9:38 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
i'm surprised your LDL was high with your Trig's being that high my guess is your trig's aren't always that high, you were just unusually lazy for a day or two or had a really big fatty meal before getting bloodwork? |
|
| Author: | InCommando [ Fri May 28, 2010 10:51 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
44 yr old male, too sedentary, 5'11 255#'s: Total Cholesterol...188 Should be under 200 Triglycerides...149 Should be under 149 HDL...41 Should be under 40 LDL...141 Should be under 129 BP as of Monday 102/74 I drink hard liqour and have since I was a teen. Caffeine in the form of iced tea is what I survive on, probably drinking 90-100 ounces of unsweet iced tea alone every day. No illicit drugs but I do party hard and live life with gusto. Thankfully I eat all of the meat that J.L. Rockies saves for me. Cow is best, and the more rare the better. As many meals as possible are almost entirely meat-based with some greenery more as a condiment. " I'd rather die while I am living than live like I'm dead." Qoute for Fulltimer to give doctors: " If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself." |
|
| Author: | Fulltimer [ Fri May 28, 2010 1:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
InCommando wrote: 44 yr old male, too sedentary, 5'11 255#'s: Total Cholesterol...188 Should be under 200 Triglycerides...149 Should be under 149 HDL...41 Should be under 40 LDL...141 Should be under 129 BP as of Monday 102/74 I drink hard liqour and have since I was a teen. Caffeine in the form of iced tea is what I survive on, probably drinking 90-100 ounces of unsweet iced tea alone every day. No illicit drugs but I do party hard and live life with gusto. Thankfully I eat all of the meat that J.L. Rockies saves for me. Cow is best, and the more rare the better. As many meals as possible are almost entirely meat-based with some greenery more as a condiment. " I'd rather die while I am living than live like I'm dead." Qoute for Fulltimer to give doctors: " If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself." I like it!! Terry |
|
| Author: | warp2diesel [ Fri May 28, 2010 1:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
Tree nuts are best and peanuts also lower cholesterol and work for me, Staten Drugs are not an option for me. I try to munch 2 oz of almonds and/or peanuts every day. Staten drugs can wreck you liver and I want to save mine for an occasional Guinness. Good Luck, |
|
| Author: | Tokyojoe [ Fri May 28, 2010 1:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
InCommando wrote: 44 yr old male, too sedentary, 5'11 255#'s: Total Cholesterol...188 Should be under 200 Triglycerides...149 Should be under 149 HDL...41 Should be under 40 LDL...141 Should be under 129 BP as of Monday 102/74 I drink hard liqour and have since I was a teen. Caffeine in the form of iced tea is what I survive on, probably drinking 90-100 ounces of unsweet iced tea alone every day. No illicit drugs but I do party hard and live life with gusto. Thankfully I eat all of the meat that J.L. Rockies saves for me. Cow is best, and the more rare the better. As many meals as possible are almost entirely meat-based with some greenery more as a condiment. " I'd rather die while I am living than live like I'm dead." Qoute for Fulltimer to give doctors: " If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself." IC, you need to join us out here for some real meat lovin'. Come try some Rocky Mountain Oysters. You are not living life until you have tried some. |
|
| Author: | BVCRD [ Fri May 28, 2010 1:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
KJ 119 wrote: My company offered free cholesterol screening today,so I said what the hell.Never had it checked before. Not so good. Guess all that good coonass food has caught up with me. I will be making some healthier choices from here out,on what goes in my body. Here's my results: 35Yr old Male Total choloesterol 216__Desirable under 200 HDL-29mg/dl__________Desirable at least 40 Triglycerides-295______Desirable Under 150 These passed the test LDL-128mg/dl_________Desirable under 160 or 130? Glucose-88mg/dl_______Desirable Under 160 Blood Pressure-109/70__Desirable Under 120/80 Anyone else have any recent results they would like to share. What's the best way to lower this stuff? OK, I have some experience with your situation. For the triglycerides, take fish oil caps 2 times a day along with some no flush niancin. You good chol is low. The only way to raise it is with exercise. Your total chol is a tad high but not alarming. They won't even prescribe a statin for it that low. Hope this helps. |
|
| Author: | BVCRD [ Fri May 28, 2010 1:29 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
warp2diesel wrote: Tree nuts are best and peanuts also lower cholesterol and work for me, Staten Drugs are not an option for me. I try to munch 2 oz of almonds and/or peanuts every day. Staten drugs can wreck you liver and I want to save mine for an occasional Guinness. Good Luck, I think walnuts are the best for chol. I eat cashews for blood pressure. |
|
| Author: | BVCRD [ Fri May 28, 2010 1:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
JL Rockies wrote: I've been a vegetarian for 21 years. My bad cholesterol is non-existant and my good cholesterol is off the charts... at least it was in 2006. I've never had a sip of alcohol (or a cup of coffee) or taken any kind of mind-altering drug. I'm pretty much going to live forever... But seriously.... green-leafy vegetables will help out a lot with the triglycerides levels.... watch those because they can be an indicator of diabetes and are really bad for your heart. Coffee will help you to not get colon cancer. |
|
| Author: | Tokyojoe [ Fri May 28, 2010 1:34 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
Proper diet and exercise plays the best role in helping with all of that and helps in other areas. Prescription meds don't always work and if they do, you either have to keep paying for them to stay low or watch it go back up after you stop the meds. A lifestyle change with diet and exercise is the most important option but sometimes, you may still need the meds. Heredity is the most important factor here. You can't change that....Unless you do the body swap like in Gilligan's Island..... |
|
| Author: | BVCRD [ Fri May 28, 2010 1:38 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
Tokyojoe wrote: Proper diet and exercise plays the best role in helping with all of that and helps in other areas. Prescription meds don't always work and if they do, you either have to keep paying for them to stay low or watch it go back up after you stop the meds. A lifestyle change with diet and exercise is the most important option but sometimes, you may still need the meds. Heredity is the most important factor here. You can't change that....Unless you do the body swap like in Gilligan's Island..... Trigycerides are mostly caused by the amount of processed sugar (carbs) that you eat. Extremely high trigycerides are most always heredity. My wife's mom has a 500 number. She weighs 90 pounds soaking wet and eats like a bird. My wife got these genes. |
|
| Author: | Fulltimer [ Fri May 28, 2010 5:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
Hey Bub! Kay said for you NOT to give up oysters! Terry |
|
| Author: | BVCRD [ Fri May 28, 2010 6:26 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
Why not, they got oil all over them. |
|
| Author: | durangotang [ Fri May 28, 2010 7:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
The easiest thing you can do to turn those numbers around (without any real lifestyle change) is: fish oil and fiber. If you are willing to make bigger changes than that, let me know. My levels are great, but I have a diet that makes the vegetarian cringe |
|
| Author: | KJ 119 [ Sat May 29, 2010 12:01 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
Hey thanks to everyone for their help and advice.Also thanks for posting your stats. JeepinJarhead03 wrote: i'm surprised your LDL was high with your Trig's being that high my guess is your trig's aren't always that high, you were just unusually lazy for a day or two or had a really big fatty meal before getting bloodwork? I wasn't told to fast before the test,so I knocked down two strawberry&cream cheese Toaster Strudels at 5:30am,and tested at 8:30am. Think this may have had an effect on this number? InCommando wrote: " I'd rather die while I am living than live like I'm dead." Couldn't agree more. Tokyojoe wrote: IC, you need to join us out here for some real meat lovin'. Come try some Rocky Mountain Oysters. You are not living life until you have tried some. barf. Fulltimer wrote: Hey Bub! Kay said for you NOT to give up oysters! Terry Wifey wouldn't hear of such a thing. durangotang wrote: The easiest thing you can do to turn those numbers around (without any real lifestyle change) is: fish oil and fiber. If you are willing to make bigger changes than that, let me know. My levels are great, but I have a diet that makes the vegetarian cringe No way man,I tried the vegi thing when I was round 24ish. Ended 4 months later wit an 80 dollar buffalo loin. |
|
| Author: | durangotang [ Sat May 29, 2010 12:22 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
Oh I never said I was a vegetarian... I likes me some steak |
|
| Author: | JL Rockies [ Sat May 29, 2010 1:40 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Got a wake up call today. |
BVCRD wrote: JL Rockies wrote: I've been a vegetarian for 21 years. My bad cholesterol is non-existant and my good cholesterol is off the charts... at least it was in 2006. I've never had a sip of alcohol (or a cup of coffee) or taken any kind of mind-altering drug. I'm pretty much going to live forever... But seriously.... green-leafy vegetables will help out a lot with the triglycerides levels.... watch those because they can be an indicator of diabetes and are really bad for your heart. Coffee will help you to not get colon cancer. So does ruffage and minimal caffine. |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|