LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Craig's List.......WTF......???
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53636
Page 1 of 1

Author:  SurfGuitar141 [ Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Craig's List.......WTF......???

I listed some old Harley parts on Craig's List yesterday, this is the first time I used Craig's List to sell something....(I usually use eBay)....
Today my inbox was flooded with responses from obvious scammers. Everyone wanted me to click on a link....WTF....I'm selling Harley parts, I'm not interested in seeing a video, especially one that's pure cyber poison.

One guy's response was that he could find all the stuff I'm selling for free where I live.....(are you kidding me pal, who gives away Harley parts...?)

Then I get one that "appears" legit, so I respond letting them know the items are still available. They respond back with...."just to be sure these are the parts I need, please click on the link I sent you and watch my video"....YEAH.....RIGHT....!!!

I can see my relationship with Craig's List will be a short one......

Am I the only one that's had this problem, or is this common practice on Craig's List......???

Author:  eyehatetofu [ Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Craig's List.......WTF......???

I have never sold anything on CL but the people I know that do frequently don't have people respond via e-mail; they have them call their phone. A lot harder to scam you over the phone and takes to much effort for scammers. I know three people that put stuff on CL frequently and their stuff gets sold in hours almost everytime.

Author:  DirtyKK [ Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Craig's List.......WTF......???

I post on craigslist fairly often and have only ever received maybe a few obvious scams and spam.

Author:  Budke [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Craig's List.......WTF......???

I've sold a few things on CL and always get scammers.
Got TONS of scammers when I put my jeep on it.

It's just something you gotta deal with. lol

Author:  warp2diesel [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Craig's List.......WTF......???

The word Harley in the title is a common trigger for scammers.
As are the words Rent, Lease, copy machine, ect.
I am sure if you referred to Pipe Joint Sealing Compound as "Pipe Dope" like plumbers do, you would get a lot of scammer hits wanting to help you sell illegal drugs.
Like Craig's list says, don't take money orders or cashiers checks, your bank will put your account number on the bad paper and send it back, then they can clean out your account. If you get a money order, cashiers check, or bank draft scam, reply what about the word "CASH" don't you understand.

Author:  SurfGuitar141 [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Craig's List.......WTF......???

After wading through the nipple deep crap I got from this add, I finally got a guy that's coming down from the Philly area to buy the stuff. We exchanged a couple e-mails, and I talked to him this morning via cell phone. He's mainly interested in the stock mufflers, but I let him understand that I wasn't parting out, it's 50 bucks "CASH" takes the whole lot. He indicated that he was agreeable to those terms, and he's supposed to arrive around 5:00 pm this afternoon.

Stuff like this is easier to sell locally with a service like CL, but the B.S. you gotta deal with will certainly limit what and how much of it I will list with CL, I don't mind paying FleaBay their royalties as long as they don't let the creeps crawl through the cracks like CL does......

Author:  Powerman04 [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Craig's List.......WTF......???

I sold my old car on CL. You just have to make your wording short, sweet, and be highly specific. Calls do help weed out the bad ones, but I also had a possible scammer even call so it's not 100%. My first ever CL post was a total fail and got me scams all over. I shortened it, and made it specific what I wanted, and first day I had 3 calls, and sold the car within 3 days.

Author:  InCommando [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Craig's List.......WTF......???

I buy/sell using craigslist frequently with no issues. Well, other htan the people who make appointements and no-show. But that is no worse now than it was in the old printed Tradin' Post days.

Author:  HoosierJeeper [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Craig's List.......WTF......???

DirtyKK wrote:
I post on craigslist fairly often and have only ever received maybe a few obvious scams and spam.

Same here.

Author:  SurfGuitar141 [ Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Craig's List.......WTF......???

The deal ended up going down smooth, real nice fellow from Georgia who is living in Philly while his wife attends Temple U.
Took the 50 bucks cash and treated the wife to dinner.

I told this fellow about all the scam & spam hits I had to wade through before getting to him, he found it surprising, but said he's never listed anything on CL, only purchased stuff.....

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/