| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Help w/clevis lift? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=20970 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Video Guy [ Wed May 23, 2007 12:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Help w/clevis lift? |
Okay, I've decided I want another 3/8" to 1/2" up front to recover some clearance lost by my engine skid. Plus, a level ride will look better. How long will it take for two people to perform the clevis lift? I can't imagine it taking more than 30 minutes. I know the general process, but I don't remember the torque values or how many conduit nuts I'd need to gain 3/8". I'm guessing three. Right? Would any of you Indy-area KJ'ers be willing help me out sometime in the next few weeks? I want to do this and get realigned by June 16, probably the next time I'll be wheeling again with my brother in his TJ. Thanks in advance for your consideration! |
|
| Author: | raceinfan [ Wed May 23, 2007 3:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
the torque value on the clevis bracket bolt I believe is 100 ft pounds, not sure on the rest |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Wed May 23, 2007 7:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
The time it takes depends on how good you are at taking the front suspension apart. Two guys should be able to do it in around an hour.. |
|
| Author: | KJ04 [ Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:58 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Conduit nuts won't work for the stock struts or the Rancho struts, only the OME struts. 3/8" will net about 1" of lift. Upper Ball Joint - 60 ft. lbs. Lower Stabilizer Link - 85 ft. lbs. Clevis Mount - 100 ft. lbs. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:42 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Conduit nuts wont work on Ranchos? Guess I will have to take them off mine then. |
|
| Author: | Science_Guy [ Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:48 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I can offer my hand to help but I have only helped install my own. I am far from an expert. I also do not have any of the tools necessary to make the job easier. I drove my jeep over to Ohio where Eddo and Moose helped me install my lift. I am available all this week since school is now out but am travelling to FL on June 8. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:41 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Science_Guy if you were a little bit closer we could knock it out for you tomorrow. I have everything we would need right here |
|
| Author: | Science_Guy [ Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:38 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
tommudd wrote: Science_Guy if you were a little bit closer we could knock it out for you tomorrow. I have everything we would need right here
Video Guy is the one who needs the hand |
|
| Author: | Video Guy [ Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:11 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Science_Guy wrote: tommudd wrote: Science_Guy if you were a little bit closer we could knock it out for you tomorrow. I have everything we would need right here Video Guy is the one who needs the hand I have the stock struts on my KJ. Will conduit nuts work or not? And what size? I want something to make sure both left and right sides are lifted the same amount. The nuts sound like the easiest way to go. I'm only trying to gain half an inch in the front. How many conduit nuts will I need for that? Jeff, thanks for the offer. Congratulations on finishing another school year!I totally forgot about removing the upper ball joint. I thought all we need is a hammer for that. The only time I've seen a suspension apart was last November. I should've just done the clevis lift the day we installed the Daystars! I'm at 52,000 miles now. I need to break a strut so I can justify replacing them with OMEs and pre-lowered springs. Then I won't need a clevis lift. There's a local shop that doesn't charge a whole lot to install struts. |
|
| Author: | Science_Guy [ Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I used 6 2" conduit lock nuts from the hardware store $0.99x3 for the clevis lift (nuts are optional)
3 2"nuts per side gave me about .5in more lift (I think). It is hard to tell since I added the Rusty lift at the same time. As many have said before, the nuts are optional but are also an easy way to ensure both right and left sides are lifted the same amount. I ruler would also work but I used the $1.50 in nuts myself. Rusty strut with clevis lift added
My guess is it would not be too much trouble with a floor jack or two and some jack stands to be safe. As with most jobs, the destruction is the easy part. The construction part is the hard part. Just let me know if you need another set of hands. |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:56 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
The conduit nuts will work with the stock stuts but you must use alot more since they slide past the notch on the strut. You must stack them up till they hit the bottom of the spring perch. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Science_Guy-Video Guy I am sorry thats what I get for reading the things on here, talking to my wife on the phone and watching TV!! The conduit nuts are cheap so I would just get 6 or 8 at least and then see how it looks, you can sort of tell before you put it all together where the strut was before and then after. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|