LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Spring run at DBNF?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28591
Page 1 of 10

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Spring run at DBNF?

So how many KJ's and other 4x4's can we reasonably get to run at DBNF at one time? Is there a vehicle limit on those trails?

I am thinking that if we start planning now or soon then more people will be able to plan it and show up. I am thinking of a Pre-Derby Mud Run or Spring Break Daniel Boone Style....

Promote it with local 4x4 clubs and even stealerships. getting new owners of jeeps and KK's and used KJ's to come out?

Maybe some local vendors to say show up and provide some lunch for us and try to sell us stuff?

In conjuncton with an event going on in Berea. Like the Spring Guild Art Show? Maybe get Tread Lightly to approach the Guild for a booth promoting the organization and our run in DBNF?

Maybe a group rate in a local hotel/motel/campground for a weekend run?

T-Shirts?

Stickers?

Hookers? (woops sorry wrong type of outing) (Just kidding)

Let the chiming begin.....

Date Proposals?

Author:  tommudd [ Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

last thing I heard pretty much all the good places are off limits in DBNF now. Also I for one like smaller groups that you can control esp. in that area, some places take 45 minutes or an hour to get 6 or 8 through, esp with newbies.
But first see what is open yet and work from there. Great to have dreams of a big event but first you need a place to go.
Could try Harlan though lots of area there!! ??

let the plans begin :wink:

Author:  Guest [ Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Spring run at DBNF?

WoodysKJ wrote:
Date Proposals?


I'll pick ya up for dinner about 7:30, we can discuss it then. After that, perhaps a few drinks at your place;)

I'm game for early March. Are we talking about a multi-day group camp? if so, where on earth is DBNF?

Author:  tommudd [ Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Spring run at DBNF?

ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:
WoodysKJ wrote:
Date Proposals?


I'll pick ya up for dinner about 7:30, we can discuss it then. After that, perhaps a few drinks at your place;)

I'm game for early March. Are we talking about a multi-day group camp? if so, where on earth is DBNF?


Daniel Boone National Forest, MIDWEST LOST has been down there before pictures elsewhere

Author:  hatu [ Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Spring run at DBNF?

WoodysKJ wrote:

Hookers? (woops sorry wrong type of outing)


Ohhhh, you meant tow trucks! :wink: :D

Author:  KJ04 [ Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Let's just do Moab 3/29 - 4/5, an afterwards run up to Las Vegas and party a little.

Author:  hatu [ Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

KJ04 wrote:
Let's just do Moab 3/29 - 4/5, an afterwards run up to Las Vegas and party a little.


That does sound very inviting.....

Author:  tommudd [ Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

KJ04 wrote:
Let's just do Moab 3/29 - 4/5, an afterwards run up to Las Vegas and party a little.



going to Vegas sounds good but only party a ...little :? why not A LOT!!! Actually come to think of it wife wants to go there sometime in March on her break......mmmmmmmmmmmm 8)

Author:  KJ04 [ Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

tommudd wrote:
KJ04 wrote:
Let's just do Moab 3/29 - 4/5, an afterwards run up to Las Vegas and party a little.


Simon Says,
going to Vegas sounds good but only party a ...little :? why not A LOT!!! Actually come to think of it wife wants to go there sometime in March on her break......mmmmmmmmmmmm 8)


Kill two birdies with one stone :idea:

Author:  jerbacher [ Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

i would def. like to go. i really love that place. BUT. really really need to find out what the skinny is with closures. we have plenty of time before spring, so we should do some research and find out whats open. but, last time i checked, i think our normal trail was shut down.

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Spring run at DBNF?

ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:
WoodysKJ wrote:
Date Proposals?


I'll pick ya up for dinner about 7:30, we can discuss it then. After that, perhaps a few drinks at your place;)

I'm game for early March. Are we talking about a multi-day group camp? if so, where on earth is DBNF?



If ya gotta ask, then you.....

Not all of us can go to Moab. And what happens inVegas Stays in vegas, so no pics from there.

I understand the smaller groups concept, and I agree. BUT we do need to grow this group and allowing others is part of that.

This was just an attempt at starting a conversation about a local regbional event. Not trying to bypass Moab or any other event. Like I said not everybody can go to Moab, nor do they want to.

Author:  tommudd [ Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

I agree with the growing part for sure, I was just talking about trails and what works out well with #s of Jeeps, plus the fact that if we do this as a LOST run then the name is out there if anyone does something stupid you know.

But back to finding out what exactly is going on down there. I think Moose maybe had some contacts or at least knew where/ who to call. We can talk to him when he gets back from Maine. He is covered up right now with work/house so maybe I can do some calling.

Or Woody do you have any good contacts with Sheriff/ Park Rangers etc ??

Author:  meh_kick [ Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:59 am ]
Post subject: 

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/recreation/cromer.shtml

Quote:
Under Kentucky state law, OHV/ATV use is prohibited on private land without permission from the landowner. On open public roads, motorized use is limited to motor vehicles and operators in full compliance with the Kentucky Department of Transportation. State regulations require street legal motor vehicles that are properly equipped, licensed, and insured. Vehicle operators must have a valid state driver's license.


EDIT:
Quote:
OPERATING CONDITIONS ENFORCED UNDER FOREST SUPERVISOR'S ORDERS

Pursuant to the provisions of 16 U.S.C. Section 551, and Title 36 C.F.R., Section 261.50 (a) and (b), the following prohibitions apply to operating a vehicle off of Forest Development roads and trails within the Daniel Boone National Forest.

1. Operating any motor vehicle on Forest Development Roads in violation of any Commonwealth of Kentucky traffic or vehicle law.(261.54(d))

2. Possessing or use of a motor vehicle off designated Forest Development Roads. (261.56)

3. Possessing or use of a motor vehicle off designated Forest Development Trails. (261.55)

The above prohibited acts are set forth in Title 36 C.F.R., Section 261.55 and 261.56.

Violations of the above prohibitions are punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 or imprisonment for not more than (6) six months or both.


So our KJs would be allowed on any roadway that's not deemed private land.

That being said, I have no idea how much of our normal route from the 49er has been regraded and gravel covered. The second trail we tried is also public access and traversable by us. Either trail can be done in a stock vehicle as well.

I'd be willing to scout them out again in preparation for a spring ride (I have MLK weekend and Presidents Weekend in mind). Especially if Woody is going to be doing some of the legwork to promote a big gathering in the spring.

Author:  jerbacher [ Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:20 am ]
Post subject: 

i thought that the county was giving up ownership of the road that was our normal route and that it was going to become private.

We had this thread going on before:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=26429

Time to reread and revisit? Anyone know if the new MVUM is out yet?

Author:  jerbacher [ Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:21 am ]
Post subject: 

answered my own question:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/maps/mvum.shtml

Author:  BNJ-KJ [ Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:07 am ]
Post subject: 

I'd be up for it, but mine is stock and I'm a newbie at going off road. If nothing else I wouldn't mind just riding along with someone else.

Author:  jerbacher [ Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:13 am ]
Post subject: 

BNJ-KJ wrote:
I'd be up for it, but mine is stock and I'm a newbie at going off road. If nothing else I wouldn't mind just riding along with someone else.


stock actually means skid plates and rock rails required. you can get away with no lift though.

certainly riders are welcome! makes for good pictures too!

Author:  BNJ-KJ [ Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:20 am ]
Post subject: 

jerbacher wrote:

stock actually means skid plates and rock rails required. you can get away with no lift though.

certainly riders are welcome! makes for good pictures too!

And I have neither :(

Author:  jerbacher [ Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:42 am ]
Post subject: 

jerbacher wrote:


KY2041 on map 17 is our route.

Author:  tommudd [ Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

BNJ-KJ wrote:
jerbacher wrote:

stock actually means skid plates and rock rails required. you can get away with no lift though.

certainly riders are welcome! makes for good pictures too!

And I have neither :(


you can ride along with any of us, :wink: but what we will not tell you until we get you way back out on the trail is....what its going to cost for the ride back out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No there are plenty of things for a rider to do, take pictures and things like that. Plus if you have never been trail riding its a great way to watch others navigate over rocks etc. Then when you are ready it will make more sense why youre doing what youre doing!

Towstrap is ready to go been talking to him as well.

I just need to "tear down" before we go and do some "installs" so whens it going to be????
The go check it out and see whats happening trip???

Simon says

Page 1 of 10 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/