It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:57 pm 
Offline
Got Groceries?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: ORANGE BEACH, AL.
Would these combo'd with rustys upper strut spacers work? then, if necessary, some clevis lift?

_________________
2003 limited 3.7L V6
Vader Edition

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3219059


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:10 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
I dont know, I dont see why not but try it and see, just be sure to check your CV angles and everything

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:52 pm 
Offline
Got Groceries?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: ORANGE BEACH, AL.
jsc7002 wrote:
I dont know, I dont see why not but try it and see, just be sure to check your CV angles and everything


oh of course, I have never had enough lift to where i would be concerned with CV angles. but Im not goin to let them get out of hand.

_________________
2003 limited 3.7L V6
Vader Edition

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3219059


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:10 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:28 pm
Posts: 475
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Hood297 wrote:
Would these combo'd with rustys upper strut spacers work? then, if necessary, some clevis lift?


I did that to my sagging Rustly lift and it did help. After doing that, my struts started to make a loud crunch when I brake hard. I drove with it for a couple of years. I am now going to replace with a Frankenlift II Premium.

_________________
LostRenegade - Lost # 477
2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Silver
Mopar Skids, Skid Row Tranny Skid, Boulder Bars, Frankenlift II, 60" Hi-Lift Jack, K&N 6x9 Air Filter, Magnaflow, Dertoit Locker, 245/75R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Al's A-Arms


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:41 pm 
Offline
Got Groceries?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: ORANGE BEACH, AL.
LostRenegade wrote:
Hood297 wrote:
Would these combo'd with rustys upper strut spacers work? then, if necessary, some clevis lift?


I did that to my sagging Rustly lift and it did help. After doing that, my struts started to make a loud crunch when I brake hard. I drove with it for a couple of years. I am now going to replace with a Frankenlift II Premium.


rustys spacer lift im assuming? do you have OME springs?

_________________
2003 limited 3.7L V6
Vader Edition

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3219059


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:12 pm
Posts: 2476
Location: Jamestown PA
hood, it seems like you and i are in the same position.. i thought about doing OME790 springs and a spacer lift.. RRO... or Rusty's... or Daystar.. and maybe a clevis with them.. i dont see why this couldnt/wouldnt work.. and it would def. give you the height you want. Thats why i'm going to just replace my frankenlift OME HD spring with the OME790 and keep all the gasser frankenlift height adders.. i think you can buy just those pieces (spacer, daystar topplate) if you call Allj's.. so that is always a possibility for you... plus you can use me as a test hamster...

_________________
2006 Renegade. Completely stock.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:25 pm 
jsc7002 wrote:
hwne I was compressing my OME HD coils by hand

:shock: :shock: :lol: :-)r


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:49 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
been staying out of this one, but as 2006Kj and I have talked before, I think the best bet is the gas Franky with 790 springs , in my head it will work, I think combining some of the rest mentioned is going to be more trouble than its worth in the long run. I would set it up that way run it for a while , can always do a clevis real easy later , the springs alone will hold the weight so all you need to add in is the extra heighth that you are looking for which the Franky parts should do

NOW>>>>> hurry up and someone do it before I have to try it :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:03 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:12 pm
Posts: 2476
Location: Jamestown PA
tommudd wrote:
been staying out of this one, but as 2006Kj and I have talked before, I think the best bet is the gas Franky with 790 springs , in my head it will work, I think combining some of the rest mentioned is going to be more trouble than its worth in the long run. I would set it up that way run it for a while , can always do a clevis real easy later , the springs alone will hold the weight so all you need to add in is the extra heighth that you are looking for which the Franky parts should do

NOW>>>>> hurry up and someone do it before I have to try it :lol: :lol: :lol:


i'm trying i'm trying!!! springs were ordered 2 weeks ago today.. so if they dont get here soon.. someone is going to be walking to ARB in washington State and back to get them to me!!!!!!

_________________
2006 Renegade. Completely stock.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:14 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
How are you guys having so much problems with sagging with OME HD coils and OEM CRD coils?

I'm running the non-softride SkyJacker coils,estimated 425-450lbs spring rate,and they have held up my ARB with winch for over 4 years and 45,000 miles and many trail miles.I lost only 1/4" when the ARB/winch was first installed,compinsated with a 3/8" clevis lift and have not lost a 32nd of a inch since and like I said that was over 4 years ago and 45,ooo miles of use.To tell you the truth I think my front coils are just getting broke in finally,when I first installed the lift you could not move the front suspension at all and I could corner like a Ferrari,now I can push the front end down maybe 1/2" with all my weight(200lbs).



Glad I went with the SkyJacker lift 8) .








Oh and have fun compressing those 790's enough to install a spacer,I'll send my condolenses to your family.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:14 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
where did you order them? Man 2 weeks is enough time to walk them to you without you walking there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:00 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:12 pm
Posts: 2476
Location: Jamestown PA
tjkj2002 wrote:
How are you guys having so much problems with sagging with OME HD coils and OEM CRD coils?

I'm running the non-softride SkyJacker coils,estimated 425-450lbs spring rate,and they have held up my ARB with winch for over 4 years and 45,000 miles and many trail miles.I lost only 1/4" when the ARB/winch was first installed,compinsated with a 3/8" clevis lift and have not lost a 32nd of a inch since and like I said that was over 4 years ago and 45,ooo miles of use.To tell you the truth I think my front coils are just getting broke in finally,when I first installed the lift you could not move the front suspension at all and I could corner like a Ferrari,now I can push the front end down maybe 1/2" with all my weight(200lbs).



Glad I went with the SkyJacker lift 8) .








Oh and have fun compressing those 790's enough to install a spacer,I'll send my condolenses to your family.

Hood is changing because of his "stack" and i'm changing for a few reasons... 1. I dont like how the front end now feels "soft".. bounces much much easier and feels sloppy compared to what it was without the extra 200lbs (obviously). 2. i lost 1/2-3/4 inch in the front.. and looking to gain it back... new springs is the answer to both of those questions. And thanks in advance for your thoughts

:D dont know how it'll turn out.. or if it'll work.. but i'm pretty sure it will. We have an industrial strength spring compressor at our body shop... we've compressed everything from focus springs to F350... 1 ton chevy's... and very large municipal trucks with cummings.. springs.. pretty sure it wont mind a few CRD's :twisted:

_________________
2006 Renegade. Completely stock.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:04 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
If you have an industrial spring compressor, and get it all assembled and installed without it blowing apart, what is going to happen when you go down a really bumpy road or off a drop and the spring unloads really quickly? I would think eventually all that pressure is going to be released one way or another and any way that happens is a bad thing. Not worth it to me.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:09 am 
Offline
Got Groceries?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: ORANGE BEACH, AL.
OK

so to stop beating a dead horse. what would be the most cost effective and best way for me to fix this situation? I am not looking for a lot more height, but a small amount would be good.

can this be achieved by ditching my RC strut spacer, and replacing with OME 790 coils new struts, and possibly some clevis lift?

and thanks again to everyone helpin me out on this one! :D

_________________
2003 limited 3.7L V6
Vader Edition

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3219059


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:11 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
incubusmike wrote:
If you have an industrial spring compressor, and get it all assembled and installed without it blowing apart, what is going to happen when you go down a really bumpy road or off a drop and the spring unloads really quickly? I would think eventually all that pressure is going to be released one way or another and any way that happens is a bad thing. Not worth it to me.
Agree...............


Just think the whole assembly is held together by a bolt(actually a stud) of the 3/8" size and nut.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:18 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
could happen to any of them really if you think about it,
but sit here and write about it does nothing to help Hood answer his question

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:23 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:12 pm
Posts: 2476
Location: Jamestown PA
tommudd wrote:
could happen to any of them really if you think about it,
but sit here and write about it does nothing to help Hood answer his question


x2


soo hood... i think what you suggested is the cheapest and best lift for your situation.

_________________
2006 Renegade. Completely stock.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:48 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
This is my 2 cents in relation to the question. It may or may not help the problem. I am not a suspension specialist nor do I engineer suspension components so I don't really like piecing one of the most critical parts of a 4x4 together to see if it works. I leave that to the people I buy a suspension lift from. Now if there is a lift like the OME one guys on here run, that can be put together from separate pieces to create a lift that is known to work, then that is one thing, but to try and add parts to a finished product to tweak it and may cause the original design to fail so you can get by with bigger tires or more lift doesn't seem worth it to me. I would vote for Hood to sell his lift to someone with not as much armor and weight on their KJ and buy a lift that would better suit him. May cost more up front but he may have to go that route in the end anyway. Image

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:52 am 
Offline
Got Groceries?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: ORANGE BEACH, AL.
incubusmike wrote:
This is my 2 cents in relation to the question. It may or may not help the problem. I am not a suspension specialist nor do I engineer suspension components so I don't really like piecing one of the most critical parts of a 4x4 together to see if it works. I leave that to the people I buy a suspension lift from. Now if there is a lift like the OME one guys on here run, that can be put together from separate pieces to create a lift that is known to work, then that is one thing, but to try and add parts to a finished product to tweak it and may cause the original design to fail so you can get by with bigger tires or more lift doesn't seem worth it to me. I would vote for Hood to sell his lift to someone with not as much armor and weight on their KJ and buy a lift that would better suit him. May cost more up front but he may have to go that route in the end anyway. Image


The only thing I will be running as a lift up front is new OME 790 springs (no RC spacer) new struts (needed anyway) clevis (if necessary) and rustys upper strut plate (claimed to give 1/2" lift also only if necessary).

_________________
2003 limited 3.7L V6
Vader Edition

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3219059


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:58 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
I'd get ahold of a guy with a Frankie CRD and see how that lift is put together. Seems like that lift would sit way high and/or ride real stiff on a gasser. I've never looked at one up close but I imagine it sounds like the lift you described Hood minus the clevis and strut plate. Again I don't know.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com