It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
dieselenthusiast wrote:
frankblack wrote:
I stacked three intake tubes from the stock air box through the grill similar to what you have done...got rid of the K&N and switched to an Amsoil filter. I have also slowed down quite a bit and am consistently getting 23.5 + mpg's....I used to get 18 mpg....this is allowing me to eliminate 1 fillup per month....thanks!

any updates since you first posted your custom air intake system?



Excellent news. Do you have any pictures to post? We moved from Missouri to Ulysses, Kansas which is near the Colorado Border. My wife drove with the A/C running and she averaged 23 miles per gallon the entire trip. We climbed elevation starting in Missouri at 1,324 feet and slowly climbed to 3,057 feet in Ulysses. Can you feel any power difference? I would like to do something a little more clean looking and perfect a few things on my air intake. I really enjoyed doing it and the cost was minimal for parts. The fuel savings are nice and will add up over time. More importantly I feel like the engine is more efficient.


Pictures would be great. I just got done lifting my jeep and putting bigger tires on it and i'm averaging 17.1mpg even while babying it. I was getting 20 when it was stock :(

_________________
Have fun out there.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:51 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:11 am
Posts: 16
23 mpg's climbing with the AC is awesome...like I've said, I've really slowed down quite a bit in my driving habits and have also eliminated the AC usage...I need to see what AC usage and faster highway speeds will do...

I do notice a power difference with the extra air...I have a Fastman tb on order and am anxious to see what that will do also...

What is an aeroturbine?

Not sure how to post pics, but basically there are 2-1.5" x 14" tubes and 1-1.25" x 14" tube stacked with a straight shot to the grill...

2002 cactus green renegade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:12 pm
Posts: 72
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
frankblack wrote:
23 mpg's climbing with the AC is awesome...like I've said, I've really slowed down quite a bit in my driving habits and have also eliminated the AC usage...I need to see what AC usage and faster highway speeds will do...

I do notice a power difference with the extra air...I have a Fastman tb on order and am anxious to see what that will do also...

What is an aeroturbine?

Not sure how to post pics, but basically there are 2-1.5" x 14" tubes and 1-1.25" x 14" tube stacked with a straight shot to the grill...

2002 cactus green renegade


Heya,

Out of curiosity on doing this myself soon, where/what type of tubing are you using?

I can't seem to find any nice tubing that isn't "corrugated". I'd like to find some nice rubber hoses to do this, but can't seem to find where to look. Maybe a place that deals with heavy duty machinery would have this type of tubing (large rubber hoses for smooth airflow).

_________________
'03 Reny Cactus Green - All the comforts, Escape Hatch, Trac-lok, Selec-trac, Full disk brakes + 45RFE (built Sept 2002).
Had: '98 Dodge Ram 1500 SWB RWD 5.2L - I will miss you...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:11 am
Posts: 16
just go to any hardware store for plastic plumbing pipes...you can usually find some type of plumbing repair kit with a straight 14" tube...I pretty much followed the initial link in this forum to get started but I found that I was able to "stack" 3 tubes from the air box to the grille...after cutting holes in the air box and fitting the tubes in, I did use a waterproof sealer (Goop - marine applications) around the tubes in the cut air box holes...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:19 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:13 am
Posts: 29
Location: GREECE
Hi guys, greetings from greece. I'm watching this topic for a long time, and i'm going to fab an intake tube. I'm using the K&N drop in filter, but i want to install an AMSOIL filter. Does anybody have the part number for the 2.4L engine air filter.
Thank you

_________________
KJ 2.4L 2004 - K&N FILTER-SEBRING MUFFLER-JETCHIP-ROCK RAILS-FULL SKID-ROCK CRAWLER 51 SERIES-SKYJACKER 2.5''-CLEVIS LIFT-BFG AT 245/70 www.cardomain.com/ride/2232437


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:53 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:11 am
Posts: 16
2004 JEEP LIBERTY 2.4L 4-cyl Engine Code 1

FILTERS
Oil Filter........ EAO57 AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter
Oil Filter........ 51348 WIX 51348 Oil Filter
Oil Vapor Filter........ N/R
Air Filter........ 42156 WIX 42156 Air Filter (O)
Fuel Filter........ N/S
Trans Filter........ N/A
Cabin Filter........ N/A


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:56 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
To confirm: Is it correct that I won't need anything else besides the sink repair kit at walmart?

_________________
Have fun out there.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:16 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:43 pm
Posts: 84
Location: Longmont CO
this whole thing is seems like it would work well however...

what if you get that bad boy dirty, like you should, doesnt this just basically force any mud, water, or both, directly into the air box and im assuming do nothing good?

_________________
-------------------------------------
03 WHITE KJ SPORT

Mopar skids, Tow Hooks, 13% Tint All Around, Alpine CDA 9883, Soft 8's w/ 235/70's

NEXT: AMP & SUB INSTALL, AND ROOF RACK


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:24 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
ProjektKJ wrote:
this whole thing is seems like it would work well however...

what if you get that bad boy dirty, like you should, doesnt this just basically force any mud, water, or both, directly into the air box and im assuming do nothing good?


I thought about that as well but my plan is to plug that the end of the tube up when I go off roading...

_________________
Have fun out there.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:17 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
I found a company, US Plastic Corp., that makes plastic funnels. The neck OD is: 1 3/4" , 2", 3" & 4". Cut down the big end and use a heat gun to reshape it from round to rectangular. It should act as a pretty good air scoop.

Terry

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:52 am
Posts: 483
Location: Rhode Island
Interesting stuff here guys, I may have to look into this as well. Has anyone insulated the tube from the heat though. The engine compartment gets pretty hot in the summer so any "cool" air you bring in there will rapidly heat up as the pipe gets hot from the engine... You could be ramming "hot" air in instead of what you think is happening. Plastic is a good start. I had thought about going to a junk yard and getting some of the stock plastic (not sure what type) air hoses from random cars and making something up. THose prob offer the best insulation for the money....

_________________
Pre-Lowered 02 Liberty
2.5" Rustys Coil w/ Ranchos in the rear.
ARB, OME927's, 1/4 strut plate and Als Gen 4.5 Uppers in the front.
Flowmaster Super 40 Series (GONE, SO QUIET!)
245/75/16 Kumho KL-78 w/ Spidertraxxxxx
Ripped out the plastic inner wheel liners
Herculined ALLLL over.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:13 pm
Posts: 243
Location: Yuma, AZ
It seems, to me, like the cooler air traveling in from the grill would keep the pipe fairly cool. Although, I suppose one could fab up something using exhaust tubing and then wrap it like some some motorcycle builders do.

_________________
2007 KJ Limited 4x4

29G, Tow pkg, full skids, bun warmers, moon roof
Amsoil Air Filter, CB, custom cargo box
OME / Rancho Lift / Rockcrusher rear Diff Cover / Super Skink Sliders (not installed yet)
245/75R16 GY MT/R's with Crager 16 x 8 x 5" BS wheels
L.O.S.T. # 005465


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:53 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:50 am
Posts: 802
Location: 15 acres of goodness in Fleetville, PA
I have an AEM tube with an Amsoil Ea Cone on it. The top of the cone, instead of a cap, has an inverted cone going back down into the filter...


Image

I think I am going to try this with 3" PVC or ducting and insert it right into that inverted cone to really FORCE it into the filter and pipe.

_________________
-oooooo- ---Craig, L.O.S.T. #CT068103
/______\ ---http://jeep.allgris.com
O||||||||O ---'02 Sport 4x4, 5-spd,
[]--------[] ---2.5" BDS lift, 245/75/16 MT/Rs, Moab Rims, Locked and Regeared!
[]_____[] ---The list got to long, go to my web site for more!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:03 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:13 am
Posts: 29
Location: GREECE
frankblack wrote:
2004 JEEP LIBERTY 2.4L 4-cyl Engine Code 1

FILTERS
Oil Filter........ EAO57 AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter
Oil Filter........ 51348 WIX 51348 Oil Filter
Oil Vapor Filter........ N/R
Air Filter........ 42156 WIX 42156 Air Filter (O)
Fuel Filter........ N/S
Trans Filter........ N/A
Cabin Filter........ N/A


Thank you guys.

_________________
KJ 2.4L 2004 - K&N FILTER-SEBRING MUFFLER-JETCHIP-ROCK RAILS-FULL SKID-ROCK CRAWLER 51 SERIES-SKYJACKER 2.5''-CLEVIS LIFT-BFG AT 245/70 www.cardomain.com/ride/2232437


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com