It is currently Sun Oct 11, 2026 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:17 pm
Posts: 111
Location: Irwin, PA
This a job on my calander. Did the rear now fluid now the front was next, the pics will help.

_________________
IamBob
03KJsport
Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO
Mopar hooks
Class 3 hitch
comming soon mopar plates
rock rails
http://www.myjeepspace.com/user/iambob/gallery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:05 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:52 am
Posts: 625
Location: DuPage County , IL
Khaki-KJ wrote:
You are welcome CrossBones. PM JJsKJ if you are looking for a distributor, he can set you up.

Thanks. We have a distributor contact here in Chicago that my employer uses.

_________________
Illegitima Non carborundom!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:27 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
CrossBones wrote:
Khaki-KJ wrote:
You are welcome CrossBones. PM JJsKJ if you are looking for a distributor, he can set you up.

Thanks. We have a distributor contact here in Chicago that my employer uses.


Yeah but does He support LOST? :wink: No worries really as long as you are getting the good stuff somehow. Thanks Khaki-KJ!

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:20 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1297
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Great write up.

jsc7002 wrote:
how much do the filters run for the 45RFE?


I got quoted $43.76 at Checkers Auto Parts

_________________
"I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy"
02 Black UNlimited Edition 4X4 Select Trac Liberty Towing/Off Road Packages 245/75/16 on black Moabs
RL diff cover/Super Skink sliders, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift w/ clevis lift, Roof basket W/Hella FF75...
On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: front and rear diff fluid tcase fluid and transmission f
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:28 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1297
Location: Minneapolis, MN
I found Mopar ATF-4 at Wally's but haven't been able to find Castrol anywhere.
Dieselndixie, where did you find Castrol ATF-4 ?

_________________
"I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy"
02 Black UNlimited Edition 4X4 Select Trac Liberty Towing/Off Road Packages 245/75/16 on black Moabs
RL diff cover/Super Skink sliders, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift w/ clevis lift, Roof basket W/Hella FF75...
On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:58 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:52 am
Posts: 625
Location: DuPage County , IL
I just bought Castrol ATF+4 @ Advanced Auto Parts for $4.68 / QT.

JJSKJ, I didn't hear back from the distributor today as promised. I really want to do both diff's before the labor day weekend. I will PM you for a quote.

_________________
Illegitima Non carborundom!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:37 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:38 pm
Posts: 450
Location: Norfolk, VA
i want to do this by myself... dont know why i just go ahead and try it. i might end up spending the money to do it. :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:34 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
JJsKJ wrote:

I usually also get 5-7 qts out during a change (42RLE). I do let it drain for quite a while (sometimes several hours) after removing the filter though.


I let my 42rle drain over night and it took 8 quarts to fill it back up. I wrote a big long rant about how upset I was since it went into limp mode and scared the snot outta me. I had put 5 quarts in it since thats what I thought it took and it showed up on the dipstick but I guess the torque didnt fill up till I drove it. Had it in N and everything.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:11 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:26 am
Posts: 45
Location: Orange County, CA
has anyone used UTF (universal tractor fluid) in their tranny?

_________________
09 Detonator Yellow JK
-wrangler X
-HM rock rails
-diff armour
-ironman fabrication lower control arms
-jks adjustable track bar
-rockhard cage
-currie 4 inch lift
-genright aluminum rear bumper
-superchips tuner

03 Atlantic Blue KJ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:06 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
Strikeagle wrote:
has anyone used UTF (universal tractor fluid) in their tranny?


Does it meet ATF+4 spec? If not, Pass. Why do you ask?

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:17 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:26 am
Posts: 45
Location: Orange County, CA
i was looking up solar panels, wind generators, hypermiling, and one linked to UTF and its used in racing, torque converters work better, tranny runs cooler, increases milage, and cost about 1/3 less by what ive read.

does amsoil make some?

_________________
09 Detonator Yellow JK
-wrangler X
-HM rock rails
-diff armour
-ironman fabrication lower control arms
-jks adjustable track bar
-rockhard cage
-currie 4 inch lift
-genright aluminum rear bumper
-superchips tuner

03 Atlantic Blue KJ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:35 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:38 pm
Posts: 1146
Location: Twentynine Palms, CA
So for the 42rle does anyone have pics of the filter and gasket? and know if there even is a gasket?

and also for clarification I have a 2005 limited so I have the 42rle trans?

thanks

_________________
Will
05 Limited 4x4 Franky II Al's A-arms Black Moabs with MTR's Remote Start SOLD
06 TJ Rubicon Built
06 Dodge 2500 Diesel - Tow Pig
89 Wrangler not much left stock on it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:46 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:36 pm
Posts: 3143
Location: OKLAHOMA
i am doing this, this weekend, and need to know what i need.
i have the 4 speed auto with command-trac part time 4wd and the trac-loc diff in the back.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:57 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:38 pm
Posts: 1146
Location: Twentynine Palms, CA
I have all the fluids to do oil, diffs, tansfer and transmission but need the info on my trans, the dealership could only supply a filter, I am hoping to find a gasket but if not I will use RTV to make one.

I will not be doing mine for a couple of weeks due to my ships schedule.

_________________
Will
05 Limited 4x4 Franky II Al's A-arms Black Moabs with MTR's Remote Start SOLD
06 TJ Rubicon Built
06 Dodge 2500 Diesel - Tow Pig
89 Wrangler not much left stock on it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:11 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:50 pm
Posts: 1633
Great write up and great pics. Only thing I'd add...when doing the front diff and txfer case make sure you take out the FILL plug first. You'd be kicking yourself if you drained the case and only THEN figured out that the fill plug is seized. Getting towed out of your own garage would be embarrasing. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:18 pm 
Offline
Got Groceries?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: ORANGE BEACH, AL.
KJ Willy wrote:
I have all the fluids to do oil, diffs, tansfer and transmission but need the info on my trans, the dealership could only supply a filter, I am hoping to find a gasket but if not I will use RTV to make one.

I will not be doing mine for a couple of weeks due to my ships schedule.


Yes, I have one sitting in my jeep right now. have you checked your local parts store?

And yes you have the 42rle trans.

_________________
2003 limited 3.7L V6
Vader Edition

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3219059


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:48 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:38 pm
Posts: 1146
Location: Twentynine Palms, CA
Went there and ended up getting the stuff for a 45, I go out to sea for a week today so I will take it back and go shopping for the right one when I get back.

_________________
Will
05 Limited 4x4 Franky II Al's A-arms Black Moabs with MTR's Remote Start SOLD
06 TJ Rubicon Built
06 Dodge 2500 Diesel - Tow Pig
89 Wrangler not much left stock on it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:52 pm 
Offline
Got Groceries?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: ORANGE BEACH, AL.
an easy way to immediately tell weather or not you have the right gasket or not is

45rfe-15 holes
42rle- 13 holes

_________________
2003 limited 3.7L V6
Vader Edition

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3219059


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:03 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:38 pm
Posts: 1146
Location: Twentynine Palms, CA
Well older post since LOST was down but Autozone had it under 03 KJ manual trans.

Got all the fluids done on Sat, drives better.

_________________
Will
05 Limited 4x4 Franky II Al's A-arms Black Moabs with MTR's Remote Start SOLD
06 TJ Rubicon Built
06 Dodge 2500 Diesel - Tow Pig
89 Wrangler not much left stock on it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: now for the no so fun part...
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:52 pm 
dieselndixie wrote:
...ok, so now you have to clean the old gasket and rtv off the pan lip and the lip that the pan attached to. i used a plastic bondo scraper..just be VERY creful, most of this is aluminum and if you scratch or dent it, its bad news.

Image
Image

my pan had a magnet in it, if yours does...be sure to clean all the goop off it.
Image

now that your pan is totally clean (i even sprayed some brake cleaner in mine and wiped it out...most important is that the lip is clean of the old crap so you get a perfect seal.

now put a little bit of the RTV ( i used black) just around where the holes are...this is mainly just to keep the gasket lined up properly
Image

now, gently and perfectly place the gasket on the pan
Image

line up the pan PERFECTLY and put a few bolts in to hold it in place.
Image
Image

now, tighten all the bolts back on....do not HE-MAN these back in, they are going into aluminum, so just tight enough...i would refer to the factory torque settings if I were you (though I did not, I was VERY concious as to what i felt was just tight enough.)



now , just fill it back up - you have to place a funnel into the transmission dip stick and pour it in that way..again, mine was the 45rfe and needed 5 qts of ATF+4


if anyone sees something i forgot to write up, please chime in.

this didnt take long and is something you should do and save the $200 your dealer wants to do it....parts and fluid was around $40

enjoy


I noticed he never mentioned anything about the oil pump seal. My kit came with a new oil pump seal. Do we need to replace that too?


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com