| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| rancho 17004 rear shocks... bump stop needed? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10281 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | mb818 [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:37 am ] |
| Post subject: | rancho 17004 rear shocks... bump stop needed? |
just swapped out the rusty's rear shocks for rancho 17004's... just could quite get rid of the noise from the rear rusty's shocks... anywho... since the 17004's are longer, do i need to add bumpstops to the rear now? if so, what size? like an inch? i have rusty's coil lift... i don't want to bottom out these new shocks... or drop a spring on full flex... the 17004's are great, btw thanks, Mark |
|
| Author: | white04kj [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:55 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I don't know if you'll need one, but it can't hurt. I think the ones that come with the Frankenlift are 1". If you want something cheap, I bet you could get by with drilling a hole through a hockey puck. That's roughly what the Frankenlift bumpstop is (technically I think it's a Daystar poly spacer, but you get the idea). |
|
| Author: | mb818 [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
does anyone know of a way to extend the existing bumpstop down an inch? will something like TJ bumpstop extensions work? Mark edit: something hilarious would be using easy buttons from staples as bump stops... then your jeep would say "That was easy!" every time you flexed out fully... if only they were strong enough to use.. lol
|
|
| Author: | raceinfan [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
bumpstop or limiting strap should work,I have a mini lift with the Rancho's & I have so much flex now I could've lost my springs this past weekend if you want check out the Northeast section for the pics of our CT run (at the top) you'll see a silver lib ( mine) with a couple of shots in my rear fender well my springs were at the bottom of the bumpstop a hair more & they would've been past it |
|
| Author: | raceinfan [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
here's the picture,look where the top of my coil spring is
|
|
| Author: | Jeger [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Viewing tip |
I had to crank up the brightness to make out the pic. That sucker was ready to pop wasnt it? |
|
| Author: | jason thompson [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
raceinfan wrote: bumpstop or limiting strap should work,I have a mini lift with the Rancho's & I have so much flex now I could've L.O.S.T. my springs this past weekend if you want check out the Northeast section for the pics of our CT run (at the top) you'll see a silver lib ( mine) with a couple of shots in my rear fender well my springs were at the bottom of the bumpstop a hair more & they would've been past it
bumpstops "stop the axel from bumping the tub" limiting straps "limit the axel drop" how would one or the other work?? the best way to see what you will need if any thing at all is to pull the wheel pull the shock pull the spring to make it real easy then just jack the axel until it hits the bump stop then try to colapse the shock and put it in if it wont get short enough then lower the axel until you can put it in and measure the gap between the bumpstop and the axel thats how much space you need as far as down travel that should be about the same but with every thing installed if the spring wanst so fall out i would fab up some kinda spring retaining clip but i would not limit my down travel we are talking about an IFS vehical hear so any travel is good front or rear |
|
| Author: | PBrug [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
raceinfan wrote: here's the picture,look where the top of my coil spring is
![]() What type of springs do you have? |
|
| Author: | OzLtd [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:43 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
PBrug wrote: raceinfan wrote: here's the picture,look where the top of my coil spring is ![]() What type of springs do you have? Yeah, I second that....what springs do you have there? They are dangerously untrapped, ready to fall out on a good flex/bump. I'm running OME 948 rears + a 10mm OME TJ rear spacer & shocks that are 660mm extended - the 17004's are 625-630 extended. The Rancho's & mine are almost identicle in compression 394 & 390 respectively. I run a 30mm hockey puck style extension on the rear diff. I have had my rear stuffed & measured at 380-385mm (without bumpstop extension) fully stuffed (without 10mm packer either). So the posibility of the Rancho's bottoming out is very very high imo. I'd be real weary of that...... |
|
| Author: | mb818 [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:13 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
these will work won't they? 1" tall, 2" dia... http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9.9116 and at $8.99 per pair, cheap, too Mark |
|
| Author: | raceinfan [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
my springs are factory I orderd them from an 01-02 vin# as you can see I will be putting longer ones in soon jst don't know which ones yet possible a full lift I was told a limiting strap would work so this wouldn't happen again & yes it would limit flex I imagine |
|
| Author: | LostRenegade [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I have a 2.5" Rusty Suspension lift. I added 1" spacers to the rear springs. When I went to put the spacers on, I jacked up the rear end and took off the tires. When I lowered the rear axel as low as it could go, I still couldn't get the springs to loosen like that. I had to place a bottle jack on one side to tilt the axel to one side in order to get the sping off. The axel must be really flexed to loosen up the spring like that. |
|
| Author: | raceinfan [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:56 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
the other side was stuffed like you wouldn't believe & that was on a rock if I remember correctly I was on 2 wheels also at the time, too much excitement in 1 day,realy put the KJ to the test |
|
| Author: | Waldn [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
LostRenegade wrote: I have a 2.5" Rusty Suspension lift. I added 1" spacers to the rear springs. When I went to put the spacers on, I jacked up the rear end and took off the tires. When I lowered the rear axel as low as it could go, I still couldn't get the springs to loosen like that. I had to place a bottle jack on one side to tilt the axel to one side in order to get the sping off.
The axel must be really flexed to loosen up the spring like that. when I installed my frankenlift several weeks ago, I simply placed the floor jack on the opposite side and lifted it as high as it would go. drops the other side way down. Springs slipped in easy even with the extra bump stop. No spring compressors or bottle jacks required. much safer too. |
|
| Author: | mb818 [ Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:01 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
well i'm not so much worried about losing a spring as i am ruining my new ranchos by bottomming them out... i'm going to do some of my own measuring this weekend when i have time... thanks guys Mark |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|