LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

KJ really starting to make clunking noises on front end
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10294
Page 1 of 1

Author:  KJScott [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:41 pm ]
Post subject:  KJ really starting to make clunking noises on front end

I lifted mine back in May and have checked and tightened all bolts since then. I am getting a clunk noise that seems to be getting more frequent. The sound MAY be coming from end to end slop in the shafts, I don't know what is normal but I can move both shafts 1/8th inch. The single clunk happens on a hard braking, or I apply the brakes if I was rolling back, and if there is suspension travel during a turn. It is becoming annoying. Any advice? Seems the left side makes the most noise.

Author:  raceinfan [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

this may have nothing to do with it but have you checked your lower ball joints ? mine was making a clunking noise every once & awhile especialy over bumps & I only have 3/4 spacers in the front come to find out they were bad & had the dealer replace them under warrenty

Author:  KJScott [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

I checked prior to my lift but I will check again.

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

Could it just be the normal slack in the drivetrain? I get a clunk when I let off the gas or get on the gas. Could also be a bad strut since you have a spacer lift.

Author:  JJsTJ [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ball joints going bad is often what will cause clunking on KJ's. Are yours still original? Mileage?

Author:  KJScott [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have 64K on the Jeep, did the ball joint test using this site and they seem fine, they are in great looking shape as well so I think they had been replaced. I have only had the Jeep for 4000 miles. The UBJs seemed fine too.

Author:  JFortier777 [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

Check these spots on your UBJS. They can cut holes in literally 1 second in the right condition. It has happened to me twice already.


Image

If you hear clunking and have a hole in the boot in either of those places than your UBJs are doomed.

Author:  KJScott [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

Holy angles JFortier777!!!! :shock: My UBJ boots aren't pinched, I don't have such a severe angle on my upper control arms either. Is that pic with flex?

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

KJScott wrote:
Holy angles JFortier777!!!! :shock: My UBJ boots aren't pinched, I don't have such a severe angle on my upper control arms either. Is that pic with flex?


HAHA, HOLY ANGLES BATMAN!

Yea, thats flexed out KJScott. Only a really stiff franken lift will do that before it settles and the weight of the jeep is on it. :wink:

Author:  Colo Kevin [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:57 am ]
Post subject: 

Check your motor mounts. Had the same problems you describe. Tightened motor mounts and problem dissapeared. Check for other threads on same topic.

Author:  Colo Kevin [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:58 am ]
Post subject: 

Check your motor mounts. Had the same problems you describe. Tightened motor mounts and problem dissapeared. Check for other threads on same topic.

Author:  KJFROG [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:46 am ]
Post subject: 

Make sure the calipers are not loose, this has caused a clunking noise on other cars I have seen, the bushing wear out

Author:  Cacher123 [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:12 am ]
Post subject: 

After almost 30k miles w/a clunking noise (& at Jeep 3 times) the guy at Strauss notices that my Right side front cam bolt is loose. Tightened and noise dissapeared like magic! It was worse when it was wet as the water lubricated the control arm bushing and allowed it to slip easier so if ure noise is worse in the rain I would check this.

Author:  KJScott [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

Which bolt is the cam bolt?

Author:  Guyute1210 [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

KJScott wrote:
Which bolt is the cam bolt?


Where your lower A-Arms go into the sub-frame...They are bolts that are offset on a circle washer looking thing.

Author:  Cacher123 [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Image

Author:  KJScott [ Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

I checked the cam bolts, all 4, all are tight. As far as the motor mounts, I have a manual tranny, it will do the noise even in neutral. Lets say you stop while going up an incline, it will make the single clunk. Then let off, start to roll back slightly and re-apply the brakes, another clunk. Makes me think caliper assembly BUT.... it will make the same clunk with no brakes applied in a turn with a slight dip or bump. I may just write this off and live with it until something breaks. I don't know. It seems to only be the left side.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/