| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Regear and Rear ARB Locker Install http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15896 |
Page 1 of 3 |
| Author: | unixxx [ Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:23 am ] |
| Post subject: | Regear and Rear ARB Locker Install |
I started my 4.10 regear and rear ARB Locker install today. Hopefully, I'll be finished in the next couple of weeks. I'm documenting the process as I go along and posting it here: http://www.fuzzymuzzle.com/Car/Gear_Install/Chrysler_8.25.htm This is the first time I've done this so don't be surprised if the documentation magically changes |
|
| Author: | psinsyd [ Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Lookin good so far! Keep it up. That's one thing I've been wanting to learn more on, since I may try and tackle it in the future sometime. |
|
| Author: | OzLtd [ Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
nice effort mate. Keen to follow the progress. |
|
| Author: | pinecone [ Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I too want an ARB locker on my Jeep. I will watch this thread with great interest. |
|
| Author: | Big D [ Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:58 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Looka good. Thanks for taking the time to document the whole procedure. |
|
| Author: | unixxx [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:27 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Hopefully the guide proves to be useful. I've updated it with the latest information regarding today's (yesterday's???) progress. Let me know if anything needs clearing up. |
|
| Author: | OzLtd [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:39 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Sensational, good work keep it up. Keep letting us know you've done updates by a quick post. Cheers Stu |
|
| Author: | Donkeykong [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:56 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Just out of curiosity, what is your buget for the project? I didn't read the whole thing, but nothing jumped out at me. The pics were loading slow despite my fast internet connection, so I didn't want to bog down the server for everyone else... I'm approx 25k miles away from doing anything to my libby, but lockers are probably the first thing I would serisouly look into (even before a lift because I'm more concerned with traction than clearing obstacles) Thanks for the great writeup. -Mark |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Yea, pics are crazy slow.. Ohh, the sensor on top of the differential is also the speed sensor. My Jeep doesnt even have ABS and I have that sensor. |
|
| Author: | Gris [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Unixxx... Any chance you can measure the total length of pinion for the front? It would be a huge help so I can measure the one I got direct from Dana to see if it's even worth trying to install. |
|
| Author: | Donkeykong [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:29 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Jeepjeepster wrote: Yea, pics are crazy slow..
Ohh, the sensor on top of the differential is also the speed sensor. My Jeep does even have ABS and I have that sensor. Okay, I've asked this question on several forums but the speed sensor wouldn't be able to detect the size of the tires, just that one is slipping to keep the ABS working. Is there any fix to keep the speedometer accurate when going to a larger tire size? Thanks. -Mark |
|
| Author: | Gris [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:30 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
A dealer can relatively quickly reprogram the computer to accomodate a different tire size. It will keep the speedo, odo, and EVIC MPG readings accurate. |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:55 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Gris wrote: A dealer can relatively quickly reprogram the computer to accomodate a different tire size. It will keep the speedo, odo, and EVIC MPG readings accurate.
Exactly. Youve got to take it to a dealership and they can reprogram for different size tires. ohh, I meant to say that my jeep "doesnt" have ABS. |
|
| Author: | Donkeykong [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:11 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Ooh! That's great! I bet that it's a matter of time before someone comes out with an OBDII plug that will allow us to take care of that sort of stuff ourselves. I have one of these: http://www.ross-tech.com/. for my VW. It was a great diagnostic tool... plugs into the OBD port and into the USB port in my laptop, I could look at all sorts of things on my engine, reprogram the dash lights, retrieve and clear fault codes.... I kept the plug hoping to find software to use on my jeep unfortunatley I don't think that the VAG software will work on my Jeep. I like the price on the lockers... I thought that lockers were over $1,000 each axle. I'm going to kave to keep an eye on this post. Great so far!!! -Mark |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:55 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
[quote="Donkeykong"]Ooh! That's great! I bet that it's a matter of time before someone comes out with an OBDII plug that will allow us to take care of that sort of stuff ourselves. I have one of these: http://www.ross-tech.com/. for my VW. It was a great diagnostic tool... plugs into the OBD port and into the USB port in my laptop, I could look at all sorts of things on my engine, reprogram the dash lights, retrieve and clear fault codes.... I kept the plug hoping to find software to use on my jeep unfortunatley I don't think that the VAG software will work on my Jeep. I like the price on the lockers... I thought that lockers were over $1,000 each axle. I'm going to kave to keep an eye on this post. Great so far!!! -Mark[/quote They already make that for the libby. You can also get alittle screen that tells you all that stuff ALL the time. You dont have to plug the the OBD-II into it to get all that info. I forget what that thing is called though. |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Hey unixx just a little tip,take the old bearings off the old center section/pinion and emery cloth the heck out off the inner race(where it presses on the center section/pinion) so it slips easily on/off center section/pinion and use the the old bearings to get the shims and backlash set,then when backlash and gear mesh is perfect remove and put the new bearings and races on.This will save alot off time for getting the correct backlash and gear mesh without having to keep pressing on/off the new bearings.Of course you will want to recheck everything with the new bearings on,this procedure has saved me alot of time before when a press wasn't readily availible, and puts less stress on the new bearings. |
|
| Author: | unixxx [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I downsized the pictures to 25% of their original size. They should load four times as fast now, in theory. I stuck with the FSM naming of the speed sensor for consistancy. I should add a note indicating that it's also the speed sensor. Gris, I won't be able to measure the front pinion until next week at the earliest, when I do the front diff. If you haven't started already by then, I'll be sure to measure it as soon as I remove it. tjkj2002, thanks for the tip. I knew I was going to grind them, just not how. Now I just need to figure out how to get the bearing cones off without destroying them. Right now I'm hung up on getting the pinion shaft out of the housing. I think the housing is absorbing the shock of my hammers becaue it's still in the vehicle. |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
The good ol crush sleeve is preventing the pinion from coming out,if you can get your hands on a really big 2-prong puller you can put the prongs where the removed diff cover bolts to and press the pinion out or get a bigger hammer |
|
| Author: | LiLredLibby [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
unixxx wrote: I downsized the pictures to 25% of their original size. They should load four times as fast now, in theory. I stuck with the FSM naming of the speed sensor for consistancy. I should add a note indicating that it's also the speed sensor. Gris, I won't be able to measure the front pinion until next week at the earliest, when I do the front diff. If you haven't started already by then, I'll be sure to measure it as soon as I remove it. tjkj2002, thanks for the tip. I knew I was going to grind them, just not how. Now I just need to figure out how to get the bearing cones off without destroying them. Right now I'm hung up on getting the pinion shaft out of the housing. I think the housing is absorbing the shock of my hammers becaue it's still in the vehicle. unixxx...I'm assuming that you removed the nut and lock washer from the pinions yoke.Having done that you should have then hammered on the back of the yoke to remove it from the pinions spline.Once the yoke is removed from pinion spline the pinion gear,bearings and crush sleeve should just push out into diff. housing.The front bearing on the pinion should'nt be pressed on only the rear bearing next to the pinion gear itself.If it does'nt just push into the diff housing then the front pinion bearing must be frozen to the pinion shaft....To get your bearing off of your spool"center section"they have pullers for that.May need to borrow one from a buddy.It would also be nice to have a buddy with a press...I think your going to need one. |
|
| Author: | Gris [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:41 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Unixxx, can you measure the 4.10 pinion that you got from mopar without needing to rip apart your front dif? |
|
| Page 1 of 3 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|