| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| wheel spacers http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16411 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | 06BlueLimited [ Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | wheel spacers |
Just curious what the opinion is on wheel spacers. Just 1-1.25 Go or No Go? |
|
| Author: | kj@best [ Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:07 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Definate go! Some might say the addition to the moment arm will have increased wear on wheel bearings.......but they have to be replaced sometime |
|
| Author: | Hood297 [ Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:58 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I just installed them a few weeks ago and I love them! Give it a much better stance, handles better on road, looks better, and ive had better luck in sand and mud with the width increase. also alot less rubbing with my 245-75 mtr's. very easy installation also! definately worth it |
|
| Author: | clday25 [ Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Wheel Spacers |
What Hood297 said, there so worth it!! |
|
| Author: | swyszomirski [ Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:38 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
What'd think about spacer on an unlifted KJ? I like the look of the wider stance, but am not getting the lift, yet... |
|
| Author: | 06BlueLimited [ Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:45 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
thanks guys any particular brand to go with? Or go with best deal? |
|
| Author: | Jeephead1977 [ Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:54 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I know you can get the spidertrax 2.5 inch for 100 bucks a pair not bad |
|
| Author: | TheJawsOfDeath [ Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:31 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Would getting wheels with a different offset to achieve the same stance-widening effect as a spacer have less negative effect on the life of the wheel bearings? |
|
| Author: | Jeephead1977 [ Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I think anything that widens the stance is going to have an adverse effect on this stuff doesn't matter it is a rim or a spacer still putting that far leverage point out that much farther. Allthough from what I have read here it doesn't make a huge difference as long as you aren't beating the snot out of it every day which even without the spacers you are going to have to replace stuff like that any ways. |
|
| Author: | kjfishman [ Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
TheJawsOfDeath wrote: Would getting wheels with a different offset to achieve the same stance-widening effect as a spacer have less negative effect on the life of the wheel bearings?
The spacer is a another point of failure and additional unsprung weight I would use a rim with a different offset if the budget allowed. |
|
| Author: | jerbacher [ Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:23 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
consider this: the wheel spacers are $100/pair. One Cragar Soft 8 is $50 on jegs.com So, if your are wanting to eventually get steelies, you should just get teh wheels with the backspace you want. Save some money |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:15 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
See I keep jumping back and forth on the whole spacer/wheel thing due to mainly weight, would love to have Moabs but second choice is spacers because I really dont want to haul around the extra weight of steel rims. Money does not really come into play as black steels are about the same price. Although the black steels would good on mine, I think if no Moabs come my way then spacers will be ordered soon. Spidertrax are really good , should not be any real issues with running them long term. |
|
| Author: | Jeger [ Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
So what is the weight difference between moabs, and soft 8's of the same size? |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
jeepjeepster said like 20 lbs each heavier than stock aluminum, so 80 lbs more to roll down the road, not much but every bit helps or hurts. Anyone else know for sure?? |
|
| Author: | LiLredLibby [ Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:11 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
tommudd wrote: jeepjeepster said like 20 lbs each heavier than stock aluminum, so 80 lbs more to roll down the road, not much but every bit helps or hurts. Anyone else know for sure?? I think Jeepjeepster is pretty close on the weight difference.When I was checking on wheels the steels outweighed aluminum by about 15 pounds on average.Now granted at my age I'm oldschool but I'm going with AR OUTLAW IIs with backspacing and offset to make up the difference in buying spacers.Less between the hub and wheel just makes better since to me.And why OUTLAW IIs? Seems like every time I see a pic of someones KJ it reminds me of the last one I just seen. |
|
| Author: | 06BlueLimited [ Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:27 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
so how wide should I go? I am looking at some 1.5's |
|
| Author: | RespectMyLibertay [ Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:40 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I got the Spidertrax 1.25" pairs front and rear, and it eliminated all my rubbing. I got them instead of new rims because I didn't want to deal with mounting my tires on new rims, since I'd have to pay someone to do that. I would definitely gone that route if I had $700 for some Swampers as well. Either way, I really like my silver alloy Limited rims, since my KJ is silver. I'm just glad I have no rubbing at all, even in the rear! The outside sidewall of the stuffed tire fits in the wheel well almost flush to the flare's edge, but not touching by only a 1/4" or so. In the rear, my tires used to rub near the door and on the body in front of the upper shock mount. In the front, it would rub the pinch weld and fog door area when stuffed and the swaybar when turning full. I can finally u-turn again |
|
| Author: | unixxx [ Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:27 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
If you get spacers, definitely go with the Spidertrax. I've used them for over a year now with absolutely no problems and they have a great reputation. Don't go with the cheap lugless steel spacers, as they can be dangerous. |
|
| Author: | RespectMyLibertay [ Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:58 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
unixxx wrote: If you get spacers, definitely go with the Spidertrax. I've used them for over a year now with absolutely no problems and they have a great reputation. Don't go with the cheap lugless steel spacers, as they can be dangerous.
He's definitely right. Don't go the cheap route with spacers. Spend ~$100 and get them directly from Spidertrax's website. |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|