It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Rusty's Coil and Ranchos = No Dampening?-**Problem Solved**
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:20 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:35 pm
Posts: 164
Location: Sin City
I installed a Rusty's coil lift last weekend with Rusty's Monroe shocks on the rear. They seemed to be fine until I took them offroad for a few hours and they started the dreaded noisiness. I put my own spacers in there (with 1/2" holes so they would not move much) The problem with the shocks is the bushings, not with the shock itself. Anyway, I don't feel like dealing with fiddling with the shocks all of the time, so I ordered a set of Rancho RSX 17004 shocks like so many people around here have. I installed them this week. But there is a problem.

After they get a couple miles on them, the dampening seems to disappear. When I first put them on, the dampening was fine. Took the KJ for a 10+ mile test drive. By the end of the trip, everytime I went over a dip or two, it felt like I was running without shocks (at least close to it.) When I got home, I put my weight on the rear bumper. Dampening was minimal. Hmmm...it was late so I saved it for later.

So two days go by and I am going out to dinner. Press on the back of the KJ to give it some bounce and voila, dampening is back. On our way to dinner, dampening starts disappearing again. The rear end is bouncing all over the place. Over double speed bumps, I hit bumpstops. (going at 5 miles an hour) It feels like I've got 1000 lbs of concrete in the trunk.

So when I got home, I took this video to demonstrate. All I'm doing is giving a few hard pumps to the bumper. I'm not even putting 200lbs on the bumper. I would expect the shocks to bounce once when I let go if the dampening is working. It's bouncing 3-4 times after I let go. For your viewing pleasure... http://www.shadedpeak.com/video/KJ.wmv

Did I miss something on the install? I thought that it is as easy as 1) Remove old shock 2) Remove old spring 3) Insert new spring 4) install new shock 5) Drive. I've installed shocks and struts in several vehicles before this and never had an issue. Fronts in the KJ are working great. Rears are another story.

_________________
Scoobybri
2007 Sport 4x4 Offroad/Towing/C Packages
Homelink EVIC
245/70-R16 Grabber ATs
Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift with Rancho RSX rears
Roof Basket w/home-made cross rails and 4x55watt lighting
Super Skink Sliders
Spidertrax 1.25" Aluminum Spacers
Front Receiver hitch with Warn D-Shackle
Cobra CB Radio with spare mounted antennae


Last edited by scoobybri on Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:26 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Posts: 816
Location: SLC, Utah
That's bizarre--I've had my Ranchos for over a year and I haven't noticed any difference in performance from the time I installed them until now, or between the beginning of a trip and the end.

Maybe you got part of a defective batch? Those shocks are designed for a larger vehicle (Dodge Durango, I believe), so they should last a long time on a KJ.

_________________
09 Yellow JK Rubicon LOST #TY050608
TeraFlex 4" long arm lift, 35" BFG KO2s, Tatton driveshaft, Riddler diff covers, RIPP headers,
MBRP off road exhaust, Cobra C75WXST, Little Passengers 3rd row seat

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:52 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:11 pm
Posts: 231
Location: Illinois
that is wierd

i've had no problems with my ranchos either... ride great... no bouncing.. no fade...

you should return/exchange them... surely they are bad with the amount of bounce in your video.


Mark

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:16 am 
Offline
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:51 pm
Posts: 2202
Location: Fall River,MA
I would have to agree with everyone must've been a bad batch you got I'd also return them

I have the Rusty's / rancho rsx just over a month now & it's fine

_________________
PETE
ADMINISTRATOR
L.O.S.T. 4 LIFE
04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:10 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:35 pm
Posts: 164
Location: Sin City
Is there a smiley for "sheepishly grinning?" My KJ newbie dumb stupid put the shocks on upside down. The proper way is can-down. I've changed shocks/struts on several other cars and trucks before but never had to worry about orientation because the shocks/struts could only go on one way. The Ranchos did not come with instructions and their website is just as worthless. It wasn't until I did some research on general shock technology that I found out that only certain shocks have the ability to be mounted either way. Most don't. Rancho RSX 17004 = must be mounted cans down.

Pull the shocks off this morning, compressed them fully to get the fluid back to where it should be, and reinstalled. I took the KJ for a nice drive with some offroad flexing thrown in for good measure. No more bounce. It feels solid and much better than stock. Very happy.

Oh, well, chalk it up to a learning experience. Hopefully, my mistake will save someone else some time and energy later.

_________________
Scoobybri
2007 Sport 4x4 Offroad/Towing/C Packages
Homelink EVIC
245/70-R16 Grabber ATs
Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift with Rancho RSX rears
Roof Basket w/home-made cross rails and 4x55watt lighting
Super Skink Sliders
Spidertrax 1.25" Aluminum Spacers
Front Receiver hitch with Warn D-Shackle
Cobra CB Radio with spare mounted antennae


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:16 pm 
Offline
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:51 pm
Posts: 2202
Location: Fall River,MA
YYYAAAA :wink: we all make mistakes,don't beat yourself up for it as long as it's fixed :)

_________________
PETE
ADMINISTRATOR
L.O.S.T. 4 LIFE
04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:21 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:47 pm
Posts: 395
Location: Leesburg, Florida
I did the same thing when I had my 2002 Liberty. :lol: Don't worry about it.

Wes

_________________
2006 Jeep Liberty Sport (KJ4DIW) Ham / Warn 9500ti

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wesbronco


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:57 pm 
Offline
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:17 am
Posts: 945
Location: Goldsboro, NC
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that some funny stuff!!!!!!!

_________________
LIBERTY or DEATH

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:29 am
Posts: 377
I would still add some bump stops to keep the RSX shocks from slamming down on high speed bumps. I used hockey pucks and tapped my own bolts into the spring mount surface.

_________________
2002 Liberty Limited
2.5" Rusty's Coil Lift + OME 927 springs + 1/4" spacers
265x70 Revos
Warn 4x Floods
ARB bumper
TeraFlex extended front bumpstops
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
Bosch Size 86 battery
Jeepin by Al's 4.5 UC Arms
Kryptonite Differential Cover
JBA Bolt on KJ Tri-Angulated 4 Link


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rusty's Coil and Ranchos = No Dampening?-**Problem Solve
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:18 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1297
Location: Minneapolis, MN
scoobybri wrote:
I installed a Rusty's coil lift last weekend with Rusty's Monroe shocks on the rear. They seemed to be fine until I took them offroad for a few hours and they started the dreaded noisiness. I put my own spacers in there (with 1/2" holes so they would not move much) The problem with the shocks is the bushings, not with the shock itself. Anyway, I don't feel like dealing with fiddling with the shocks all of the time, so I ordered a set of Rancho RSX 17004 shocks like so many people around here have. I installed them this week. But there is a problem.

After they get a couple miles on them, the dampening seems to disappear. When I first put them on, the dampening was fine. Took the KJ for a 10+ mile test drive. By the end of the trip, everytime I went over a dip or two, it felt like I was running without shocks (at least close to it.) When I got home, I put my weight on the rear bumper. Dampening was minimal. Hmmm...it was late so I saved it for later.

So two days go by and I am going out to dinner. Press on the back of the KJ to give it some bounce and voila, dampening is back. On our way to dinner, dampening starts disappearing again. The rear end is bouncing all over the place. Over double speed bumps, I hit bumpstops. (going at 5 miles an hour) It feels like I've got 1000 lbs of concrete in the trunk.

So when I got home, I took this video to demonstrate. All I'm doing is giving a few hard pumps to the bumper. I'm not even putting 200lbs on the bumper. I would expect the shocks to bounce once when I let go if the dampening is working. It's bouncing 3-4 times after I let go. For your viewing pleasure... http://www.shadedpeak.com/video/KJ.wmv

Did I miss something on the install? I thought that it is as easy as 1) Remove old shock 2) Remove old spring 3) Insert new spring 4) install new shock 5) Drive. I've installed shocks and struts in several vehicles before this and never had an issue. Fronts in the KJ are working great. Rears are another story.


Is this what you installed?

Image

_________________
"I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy"
02 Black UNlimited Edition 4X4 Select Trac Liberty Towing/Off Road Packages 245/75/16 on black Moabs
RL diff cover/Super Skink sliders, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift w/ clevis lift, Roof basket W/Hella FF75...
On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:25 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:35 pm
Posts: 164
Location: Sin City
Nope. That is the spacer kit. I installed the coil lift. This is the correct pic...
Image

_________________
Scoobybri
2007 Sport 4x4 Offroad/Towing/C Packages
Homelink EVIC
245/70-R16 Grabber ATs
Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift with Rancho RSX rears
Roof Basket w/home-made cross rails and 4x55watt lighting
Super Skink Sliders
Spidertrax 1.25" Aluminum Spacers
Front Receiver hitch with Warn D-Shackle
Cobra CB Radio with spare mounted antennae


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1297
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Scoobybri, is their anything that is actually needed that is not included in the kit?

_________________
"I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy"
02 Black UNlimited Edition 4X4 Select Trac Liberty Towing/Off Road Packages 245/75/16 on black Moabs
RL diff cover/Super Skink sliders, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift w/ clevis lift, Roof basket W/Hella FF75...
On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:12 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:35 pm
Posts: 164
Location: Sin City
The only thing I would suggest getting would be better washers(spacers) for the rear shocks. The washers that ship with the kit have a much larger hole in them than the size of the bolt. That allows them to move around. I spent a whole dollar to get the properly sized washers at Home Depot. FYI...The bolt is a 1/2" bolt.

Other than that, the kit is complete.

_________________
Scoobybri
2007 Sport 4x4 Offroad/Towing/C Packages
Homelink EVIC
245/70-R16 Grabber ATs
Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift with Rancho RSX rears
Roof Basket w/home-made cross rails and 4x55watt lighting
Super Skink Sliders
Spidertrax 1.25" Aluminum Spacers
Front Receiver hitch with Warn D-Shackle
Cobra CB Radio with spare mounted antennae


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1297
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Is this the same one?

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=KJSS&Category_Code=sus_kj_kit

_________________
"I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy"
02 Black UNlimited Edition 4X4 Select Trac Liberty Towing/Off Road Packages 245/75/16 on black Moabs
RL diff cover/Super Skink sliders, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift w/ clevis lift, Roof basket W/Hella FF75...
On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:29 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 12:32 pm
Posts: 885
Location: Cincinnati-ish, Ohio
That's the one.

Another way to maximize the lift is to add spring isolators ($11.10 a piece at dealer) to the rear and a clevis lift up front. In combanation with a suspension upgrade, KJs will yield approx 3 inches of lift w/o significant distress to the front end.

_________________
'04 Renegade 4x4
L.O.S.T. #058466
Car Domain, Updated: 2/23/2009
===_oooo
(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:17 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1297
Location: Minneapolis, MN
I've heard of this a "clevis lift", how is that done?

I did find this. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty/Suspension/Clevis_Lift

_________________
"I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy"
02 Black UNlimited Edition 4X4 Select Trac Liberty Towing/Off Road Packages 245/75/16 on black Moabs
RL diff cover/Super Skink sliders, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift w/ clevis lift, Roof basket W/Hella FF75...
On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:31 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:35 pm
Posts: 164
Location: Sin City
Science_Guy has a nice write up on installing a Rusty's lift, including the clevis lift. The thread is located here... http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... guy#147749

With the clevis lift, all you are doing is creating a gap between the strut and the base of the clevis to gain some height. To get an even gap on both sides, alot of people use 2" conduit bolts to make a nice uniform gap. (See pic below) I only used one conduit bolt because I wanted to leave some height gains for after the springs settle. I'd rather be able to get some height back from spring sag than start off at the highest point and have only one way to go but down. :D Plus, between the tires and lift, I got a full 3" gain over stock, so I'm satisfied with the clearance without going overboard.

It's up to you!

Image

_________________
Scoobybri
2007 Sport 4x4 Offroad/Towing/C Packages
Homelink EVIC
245/70-R16 Grabber ATs
Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift with Rancho RSX rears
Roof Basket w/home-made cross rails and 4x55watt lighting
Super Skink Sliders
Spidertrax 1.25" Aluminum Spacers
Front Receiver hitch with Warn D-Shackle
Cobra CB Radio with spare mounted antennae


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:37 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1297
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Are you running the stock control arm?
I've heard that if you lift the Libby more than 2.5" and are using the stock control arm you will run into some problems with the LBJ/UBJ. Have you encountered any other problems?

_________________
"I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy"
02 Black UNlimited Edition 4X4 Select Trac Liberty Towing/Off Road Packages 245/75/16 on black Moabs
RL diff cover/Super Skink sliders, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift w/ clevis lift, Roof basket W/Hella FF75...
On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:10 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:35 pm
Posts: 164
Location: Sin City
I'm only running a 2.5" lift so my stock arms are fine. No rubbing. You are probably confused because I said I gained 3" of lift. .5" of that was the tires.

_________________
Scoobybri
2007 Sport 4x4 Offroad/Towing/C Packages
Homelink EVIC
245/70-R16 Grabber ATs
Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift with Rancho RSX rears
Roof Basket w/home-made cross rails and 4x55watt lighting
Super Skink Sliders
Spidertrax 1.25" Aluminum Spacers
Front Receiver hitch with Warn D-Shackle
Cobra CB Radio with spare mounted antennae


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com