| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Building a new 3 link (Boomerang) http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17715 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | CJ10chris [ Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:03 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Building a new 3 link (Boomerang) |
I was under the backside last night looking at the boomerang and starting thinking about making a new one. I put the RE 3715 adjustable lowers on and would like the move the axle back a little bit without messing up the pinion angle. Looking at it I think a truss of some sort over the axle and then using a SF joint in place of the factory piece. Then at the other ends of the boomerang using either SF or SR joints..... and making it adjustable there, to push the axle back a bit. Any thoughts? Because I'm sure that somebody has already done this. -Chris |
|
| Author: | 2006KJSPORT4x4 [ Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I think Mutt did a similar thing perhaps...I know he moved his back, or at least was talking about moving it back...not sure who all else has done it though..maybe Al did when he was working on his bolt in 5.5" lift, but not sure... |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:15 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I believe Al did that. Just be sure you dont move the axle back so far that the drive line will fall out of the tcase at full flex. |
|
| Author: | CJ10chris [ Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I going to put a Dana 300 t-case in after I push the axle back. So new drivelines are going in also. -Chris |
|
| Author: | unixxx [ Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Be sure to post all of the details if you make one.... |
|
| Author: | Signcutter21 [ Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:43 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Yeah I remember hearing Mutt was in the process at one time or another. If I remember, Carolina Rock Shop was doing the fab work for him. Sure he'll chime in on this matter soon. Would love to see what you come up with. Take pics and notes for a write up. later,mike |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:57 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Here is Al's rear suspension.
|
|
| Author: | DoverKJ [ Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:35 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
That is nice. Now if he would start to produce those for sale that would be sweet. Looks way sturdier than the stamped piece of steel Jeep uses now. |
|
| Author: | CJ10chris [ Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I'm going to pick up a used one from the wreckers today. If I get time this weekend I'll make a jig and play around with how I want to do the ends. The one Al made looks similar, but I think by the picture that both ends are adjustable. I think I'll try to make the axle end fixed and where the arms mount to the unibody brackets adjustable. Rubicon superflex joints seem to hold up better than QA1 rodends, well at least they stay quieter, longer and they are rebuildable. Does anybody have a picture of how Al did the mount on the diff. Because after looking at the rear-end last night I think I'll be hard pressed to build a truss over the axle unless I had at least 6" more room over it. So plan "B" was to build a thin ring that would bolt under the diff cover and wrap over the top and bolt into the stock holes on the top side of the diff, and then intergrate the 3rd link bracket into that. just thinking....... and very, very bored. -Chris |
|
| Author: | dgeist [ Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:19 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
CJ10chris wrote: I'm going to pick up a used one from the wreckers today. If I get time this weekend I'll make a jig and play around with how I want to do the ends. The one Al made looks similar, but I think by the picture that both ends are adjustable. I think I'll try to make the axle end fixed and where the arms mount to the unibody brackets adjustable.
-Chris The project sounds interesting, Chris. I did have one thought, though. If you make the unibody-ends adjustable and NOT the diff end, then you'll have adjustability for side-to-side fitment, accounting for differences in manufacturing and mounting, but nothing to compensate for geometry changes front-back... thoughts? |
|
| Author: | CJ10chris [ Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:56 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
True.... but it's in how the arms are shaped. If at the joint at the unibody the arm(s) went towadrd the rear, lets say 4" before the bend towards the center I see no need to have the adjustabilty at the diff also. Now if you did it like in Al's picture I figure you would need to have the adjustabilty on both ends. Trail and error I guess. I do appriciate the feedback! -Chris |
|
| Author: | chefdab [ Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:58 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I think Al's was a custom piece from Rusty's. You should PM Al or call Rusty and see if they are the ones that built it. They might also be able to help you with fitment and angle issues. |
|
| Author: | Jeepin Al [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:25 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Nope that was all mine, make the one end joint adjustable to adjust the pinion angle, and the outer two to adjust the center to center position of the differentional. Al |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|