| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| transfer case fluid question http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21160 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | hooperswish [ Tue May 29, 2007 7:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | transfer case fluid question |
I was thinking that the front differential fluid would not need changing often because of limited 4x4 use. But this is not the case I was informed, as it is always spinning, even if not engaged, therefore contaminating the fluid. So my question is: Is the transfer case completely inoperative (command trac part time) when in 2x4? Or all the fluids constantly being sloshed around? I am doing a full flush of all fluids over to synthetic, but the transfer case already has atf4 in it-full synthetic. So if it hasn't really moved much anyway, I am going to leave it alone.I only have 8000 miles, but I understand that an early flush gets out all of the break in metals in the diffs or tranny. Thanks in advance for an answer.... |
|
| Author: | JJsTJ [ Tue May 29, 2007 7:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: transfer case fluid question |
hooperswish wrote: I was thinking that the front differential fluid would not need changing often because of limited 4x4 use. But this is not the case I was informed, as it is always spinning, even if not engaged, therefore contaminating the fluid.
So my question is: Is the transfer case completely inoperative (command trac part time) when in 2x4? Or all the fluids constantly being sloshed around? I am doing a full flush of all fluids over to synthetic, but the transfer case already has atf4 in it-full synthetic. So if it hasn't really moved much anyway, I am going to leave it alone.I only have 8000 miles, but I understand that an early flush gets out all of the break in metals in the diffs or tranny. Thanks in advance for an answer.... I wouldn't bother changing the transfer case fluid that early. No problem waiting until the normal service interval. |
|
| Author: | hooperswish [ Tue May 29, 2007 10:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: transfer case fluid question |
JJsKJ wrote: hooperswish wrote: I was thinking that the front differential fluid would not need changing often because of limited 4x4 use. But this is not the case I was informed, as it is always spinning, even if not engaged, therefore contaminating the fluid. So my question is: Is the transfer case completely inoperative (command trac part time) when in 2x4? Or all the fluids constantly being sloshed around? I am doing a full flush of all fluids over to synthetic, but the transfer case already has atf4 in it-full synthetic. So if it hasn't really moved much anyway, I am going to leave it alone.I only have 8000 miles, but I understand that an early flush gets out all of the break in metals in the diffs or tranny. Thanks in advance for an answer.... I wouldn't bother changing the transfer case fluid that early. No problem waiting until the normal service interval. Sounds good JJ. So the transfer case does nothing during normal 2by usage?(unlike the front diff)? Thanks! |
|
| Author: | JJsTJ [ Tue May 29, 2007 10:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: transfer case fluid question |
hooperswish wrote: JJsKJ wrote: hooperswish wrote: I was thinking that the front differential fluid would not need changing often because of limited 4x4 use. But this is not the case I was informed, as it is always spinning, even if not engaged, therefore contaminating the fluid. So my question is: Is the transfer case completely inoperative (command trac part time) when in 2x4? Or all the fluids constantly being sloshed around? I am doing a full flush of all fluids over to synthetic, but the transfer case already has atf4 in it-full synthetic. So if it hasn't really moved much anyway, I am going to leave it alone.I only have 8000 miles, but I understand that an early flush gets out all of the break in metals in the diffs or tranny. Thanks in advance for an answer.... I wouldn't bother changing the transfer case fluid that early. No problem waiting until the normal service interval. Sounds good JJ. So the transfer case does nothing during normal 2by usage?(unlike the front diff)? Thanks! There are parts moving around in there but I couldn't tell you off the top of my head which stuff is moving. The chain is not engaged to the front shaft but the internals are moving to turn the rear drive shaft for sure. |
|
| Author: | hooperswish [ Tue May 29, 2007 10:56 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
That is exactly what I wanted to know JJ. Thanks a bunch, and I will follow your advice to hold off until scheduled drain and fill... |
|
| Author: | CATCRD [ Tue May 29, 2007 11:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
FYI, my transfer case fluid looked terrible at 11,000 mi. Grey and cloudy, if that's any indication of fluid quality. I'm glad I changed it when I did, to Redline C+ ATF. Never been underwater with it or wheeled it hard either. |
|
| Author: | hooperswish [ Wed May 30, 2007 8:44 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
CATCRD wrote: FYI, my transfer case fluid looked terrible at 11,000 mi. Grey and cloudy, if that's any indication of fluid quality. I'm glad I changed it when I did, to Redline C+ ATF. Never been underwater with it or wheeled it hard either.
So the redline would be at least as good as the mopar atf4 (which I noticed is for sale at walmart now), right? I am always looking to upgrade... |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Wed May 30, 2007 8:57 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Use Mopar ATF +4.. Front and rear diffs at 12k and tcase at 30k. I checked my tcase around 25k and the fluid looked great. Ive been offroad many, MANY times.. Usually if the fluid looks milky, that means it has water in it.. Which isnt good at all.. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|