It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: CV Emergency!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:50 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:57 pm
Posts: 387
Location: Buchanan, MI
I've been told by my dealer that the driver's side axle is shot, both cv boots are torn, and it will cost me at least $1,000 to replace! :cry:

How much trouble is it to pull out the half-shaft and do it myself?

_________________
E.E.P. for my Jeep (EMPTYING EVERY POCKET)
2004 Limited - Stock no more
JcrOffroad sliders-Trail tested, mud approved
Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids
235/70/16 Cooper Discoverer HTPs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:02 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:49 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Memphis, TN
I bought a reman halfshaft from O'Reilly's auto Parts for about $150. It took about a half a day to install using no power tools. The brand of the shaft was A1 Cardone and seemed to be what all the chain stores were carrying. IT has a different kind of boot on it. Mine seems to be holding up well.

_________________
'03 Sport
Grand Cherokee TCM, Skids, Superwinch EPi 9.0 in cradle mount with 125' 5/16 Viking Trail Line, Mopar Rock Rails, Trac-Loc Diff, Frankenlift in front and Skyjacker/JBA springs out back, Monroe Reflex Shocks in rear, JBA Gen 4.5 Upper Control Arms, Moog LBJ's, 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CV Emergency!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:26 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
QuestMan wrote:
I've been told by my dealer that the driver's side axle is shot, both cv boots are torn, and it will cost me at least $1,000 to replace! :cry:

How much trouble is it to pull out the half-shaft and do it myself?


Who installed your lift and Als upper arms? If it was You then you can handle doing the cv shaft for sure. If it wasn't you, you can still probably handle it if you have the tools needed to take the front suspension apart.

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:52 am
Posts: 242
How many miles are on your Liberty, are the CV joints clicking? Just curious. Do you think the problem stems from the boot being torn or just normal wear?

_________________
2002 Silver Sport 4x4 3.7L-5 Speed NV3550 Manual Transmission-NV231J TC-Frankenlift-AllJ Interior Rack-ARB Bumper-Hella Driving Lights-Electric Trailer Brake-Moog LBJs-JBA 4.5 UCAs-Detroit Trutrac (Front)-245/70/16 Dueler A/T Tires-Amsoil EaA201 Air Filter-Tom Woods Custom Front Drive Shaft-Rock Lizard Gecko HD Roof Rails-Onboard Co2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:51 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:25 am
Posts: 161
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
:shock: I only paid $99 for each of my half shafts at NAPA. I did need to rent a hub puller and purchase a 36mm socket (I think that's right). Other than that, I agree with JJ, if you installed your own lift then you'll be able to replace your half shaft(s). There are just a few extra steps to take. You might also find the repair manual useful.

Be advised, if you're running your axles at extreme angles, take further precautions like the ones mentioned by some of the other users. I can't attest to their effectiveness, but I know I've read some recommendations in the past such as, pulling the boot down slightly to reduce the accordion affect (watch the clevis) and spraying some type of silicone lubricant on the boot to reduce friction. That should hopefully, at the very least, help keep the boot intact and the grease where it is needed. Keep a watchful eye on them in the future. If you don't change something in the formula, then expect the same process to repeat itself.

_________________
Failure is not an option!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:25 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 12:32 pm
Posts: 885
Location: Cincinnati-ish, Ohio
fdezone wrote:
a 36mm socket (I think that's right).


35mm

_________________
'04 Renegade 4x4
L.O.S.T. #058466
Car Domain, Updated: 2/23/2009
===_oooo
(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:27 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:26 pm
Posts: 1325
Location: Casper, Wyoming
meh_kick wrote:
fdezone wrote:
a 36mm socket (I think that's right).


35mm


X2. I remember 'cause that's the only size that I couldn't just rent. Make sure it's a deep-well-type socket, for axle nuts.

_________________
Ron


"There are few problems in life the liberal application of duct tape can't solve."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:34 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:57 pm
Posts: 387
Location: Buchanan, MI
Thanks for the replies. I'd do it myself, but I'm supposed to go on vacation this weekend, and am currently in Detroit today for printer training. I won't get back until 10, tonight, so today's out and, with only Wednesday and Thursday to get ready, I didn't want to get myself in too deep. I DID do the lift install myself, so I fully admit it's MY bad. However...........I DON'T hear the tell-tale click, of which I'm VERY familiar. I know that sound REAL well, so I'm skeptical about the 'damage'. My hometown mechanic said, "WHAT!!!???" when I told him, because he did the upper arm install, and didn't see any problems, (other than the grease that I'd already lost), and finds it highly unlikely that it'd be the joints, either. He's going to take a look at it tomorrow, and I'll find out if there really IS any problem.

_________________
E.E.P. for my Jeep (EMPTYING EVERY POCKET)
2004 Limited - Stock no more
JcrOffroad sliders-Trail tested, mud approved
Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids
235/70/16 Cooper Discoverer HTPs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:43 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:01 pm
Posts: 1214
Yes you can pick up a one for about 150 from a quality rebuilder. A half day is about correct if you haven't done it before. If you are still uncomfortable doing it, take it to your local mechanic. It's about 1-2 hrs labor and 150 for the shaft, so heck of alot less than then dealer. Dealers are generally overpriced.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:20 pm 
Offline
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 2213
Location: Spokane, WA
If you have 2 days, you have plenty of time to do it yourself, as long as the shaft is in stock. It is an easy job, hardest part is pulling the shaft out of the housing. You may need a persuasion bar to pop it out, or I have heard of some using a slide hammer on the hub side threads to pop the shaft out. Good luck

_________________
I'm baaaaccckkk...
LOST Member 10
If you can read this you don't need glasses, go Wheel your Jeep!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com