LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

CV Emergency!
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21321
Page 1 of 1

Author:  QuestMan [ Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:50 am ]
Post subject:  CV Emergency!

I've been told by my dealer that the driver's side axle is shot, both cv boots are torn, and it will cost me at least $1,000 to replace! :cry:

How much trouble is it to pull out the half-shaft and do it myself?

Author:  jg45 [ Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:02 am ]
Post subject: 

I bought a reman halfshaft from O'Reilly's auto Parts for about $150. It took about a half a day to install using no power tools. The brand of the shaft was A1 Cardone and seemed to be what all the chain stores were carrying. IT has a different kind of boot on it. Mine seems to be holding up well.

Author:  JJsTJ [ Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: CV Emergency!

QuestMan wrote:
I've been told by my dealer that the driver's side axle is shot, both cv boots are torn, and it will cost me at least $1,000 to replace! :cry:

How much trouble is it to pull out the half-shaft and do it myself?


Who installed your lift and Als upper arms? If it was You then you can handle doing the cv shaft for sure. If it wasn't you, you can still probably handle it if you have the tools needed to take the front suspension apart.

Author:  Wasatch15 [ Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

How many miles are on your Liberty, are the CV joints clicking? Just curious. Do you think the problem stems from the boot being torn or just normal wear?

Author:  fdezone [ Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

:shock: I only paid $99 for each of my half shafts at NAPA. I did need to rent a hub puller and purchase a 36mm socket (I think that's right). Other than that, I agree with JJ, if you installed your own lift then you'll be able to replace your half shaft(s). There are just a few extra steps to take. You might also find the repair manual useful.

Be advised, if you're running your axles at extreme angles, take further precautions like the ones mentioned by some of the other users. I can't attest to their effectiveness, but I know I've read some recommendations in the past such as, pulling the boot down slightly to reduce the accordion affect (watch the clevis) and spraying some type of silicone lubricant on the boot to reduce friction. That should hopefully, at the very least, help keep the boot intact and the grease where it is needed. Keep a watchful eye on them in the future. If you don't change something in the formula, then expect the same process to repeat itself.

Author:  meh_kick [ Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

fdezone wrote:
a 36mm socket (I think that's right).


35mm

Author:  Dje Ryu [ Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:27 am ]
Post subject: 

meh_kick wrote:
fdezone wrote:
a 36mm socket (I think that's right).


35mm


X2. I remember 'cause that's the only size that I couldn't just rent. Make sure it's a deep-well-type socket, for axle nuts.

Author:  QuestMan [ Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:34 am ]
Post subject: 

Thanks for the replies. I'd do it myself, but I'm supposed to go on vacation this weekend, and am currently in Detroit today for printer training. I won't get back until 10, tonight, so today's out and, with only Wednesday and Thursday to get ready, I didn't want to get myself in too deep. I DID do the lift install myself, so I fully admit it's MY bad. However...........I DON'T hear the tell-tale click, of which I'm VERY familiar. I know that sound REAL well, so I'm skeptical about the 'damage'. My hometown mechanic said, "WHAT!!!???" when I told him, because he did the upper arm install, and didn't see any problems, (other than the grease that I'd already lost), and finds it highly unlikely that it'd be the joints, either. He's going to take a look at it tomorrow, and I'll find out if there really IS any problem.

Author:  Eddo [ Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:43 am ]
Post subject: 

Yes you can pick up a one for about 150 from a quality rebuilder. A half day is about correct if you haven't done it before. If you are still uncomfortable doing it, take it to your local mechanic. It's about 1-2 hrs labor and 150 for the shaft, so heck of alot less than then dealer. Dealers are generally overpriced.

Author:  USAFCOP [ Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

If you have 2 days, you have plenty of time to do it yourself, as long as the shaft is in stock. It is an easy job, hardest part is pulling the shaft out of the housing. You may need a persuasion bar to pop it out, or I have heard of some using a slide hammer on the hub side threads to pop the shaft out. Good luck

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/