It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: CEL without P-code?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:41 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:30 pm
Posts: 24
Location: A little to the right.
Hi everyone.
My 05 KJ Sport just started showing me its CEL. The Odo Reset + Ignition On trick isn't showing me a code. Has anyone seen a CEL with no code?
Also, in either 4 Hi or 4 Lo, the "Part Time" and "4 LO" indicators aren't showing (sometimes briefly), though the lights come on during the dash diagnostic.
So would a loose transfer case position sensor plug cause a CEL? I crawled under, found and wiggled the plug at the transfer case, but no change. Where's the other end of that wire so I can wiggle it, too?
Thanks in advance!
Eric

Edit: My mistake. I just tried the On-Off-On-Off-On trick, which returned three codes, P0456, P0839, and P0837. At least now I have something to work with. These codes aren't on any of the OBDII code lists I've found. Googling the codes helps a little:
P0456: Evap sys leak or maybe gas cap.
P0839: Transfer case position switch
P0837: Transfer case position switch

This list: http://www.autoxuga.net/cursos/averiasp.htm is more complete than other lists of ODBII codes I've seen, but I had to use Google to translate it: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autoxuga.net%2Fcursos%2Faveriasp.htm&langpair=es%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

At least now I know where to start looking. If anyone has any other input on these codes, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks,
Eric

_________________
Eric
05 KJ Sport
LOST# 000729


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:55 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
That transfer case switch is kinda common. Its nothing to worry about unless you like the lights showing up. Should be easy to change out but Idk about the $$.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:46 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:30 pm
Posts: 24
Location: A little to the right.
Thanks Jeepjeepster. That's good to know. Interesting that the onboard computer knows and cares about the transfer case position switch. My only concern about that is that when you're in 4 LO, the onboard computer ups the idle speed (which kind of annoyed me anyhow) and automatically slows you going down a steep hill (doesn't it? Seems like it did to me, but maybe that's just a result of using Low range).

In other related news, the CEL has gone out. Perhaps it was just the gas cap after all. I also changed the air filter, since I had a new one sitting around. So couldn't say what that was about, but I guess the transfer case switch doesn't trigger the CEL, even though the onboard computer knows about it.

Thanks!

PS, I looked up the parts. To get a new switch and its O ring would be about $70 for the parts. Doing the work seems to me just to be a matter of doing the under-car yoga and not letting dirt get inside the transfer case.

_________________
Eric
05 KJ Sport
LOST# 000729


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com