| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Suspension Travel vs Sag http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25494 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | COKJ06 [ Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:27 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Suspension Travel vs Sag |
I'm a new member, but been reading since I got my KJ. This is a great forum. Very useful and interesting to see what others are doing. Thanks. I have a RRO OTT lift, and yes, it’s time to replace it. I’ll probably go with the Frankenlift, due to all the positive comments I’ve read. However.. My goal is to get the most ‘useable’ travel I can. I have read that the KJ sports 8 inches of suspension. However, my CRD sits at least 4 inches into that suspension, giving me only 4 inches to soak up a hit. Not enough in my experience. In my thinking, the only way to get more usable travel is to get longer springs or increase spring rate. So I’m thinking OME HD springs, but the spacer provides lift only, so I might stay away from that to keep a shallow CV angle. Does anyone make a longer spring which is still HD? It sounds like Rusty’s is long, but not very HD. I appreciate any comments you have |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:32 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Just get the Frankenlift and be done with it, Rustys are no longer and are not as heavy , you will get sag after some time. The front suspension the way it is designed only can have so much travel , so you are pretty limited there as to what you can do. With the Frankenlift or just OME Heavy Dutys you will be as good as it gets. Mine does great on and off the road |
|
| Author: | DarbyWalters [ Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:37 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
The OME HD Springs are longer and the OME Strut is matched to that. The rear OME Springs are the same and the rear OME (L) gives plenty of travel. There are NO SPACERS in the OME lift that reduce travel. |
|
| Author: | dog_party [ Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Welcome to the forum COKJ06! The CRD Frankenlift II has the OME Struts and springs that you need. This kit increases travel, but doesn't increase front-end spring rate. |
|
| Author: | COKJ06 [ Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:29 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Maybe it's just my issue?? When driving like I want to drive on a dirt road and I hit a pothole or dip I ALWAYS bottom out. I was following a XJ and could not keep up because of the bottoming issue. (Not going crazy fast, 20 mph or less) Do all KJs bottom this easily? Do all CRDs bottom this easily? I only have 11k on my CRD, so the springs shouldn't be too fatigued... |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:29 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
dog_party wrote: Welcome to the forum COKJ06! The CRD Frankenlift II has the OME Struts and springs that you need. This kit increases travel, but doesn't increase front-end spring rate.
You sure about that? The CRD franken lift has 500lbs of spring rate. Stock is 410, right? A kj with a lift with not bottom out as easy since it gives you more up travel, but it takes away from down travel(on the front). Ive never had my kj bottom out with the rustys springs on the front and OME springs on the rear. |
|
| Author: | DarbyWalters [ Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:54 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
COKJ06 wrote: Maybe it's just my issue??
When driving like I want to drive on a dirt road and I hit a pothole or dip I ALWAYS bottom out. I was following a XJ and could not keep up because of the bottoming issue. (Not going crazy fast, 20 mph or less) Do all KJs bottom this easily? Do all CRDs bottom this easily? I only have 11k on my CRD, so the springs shouldn't be too fatigued... The OTT Lift causes problems like that...it does not have a very good reputation on the Jeep Liberty. |
|
| Author: | dog_party [ Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:56 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Depends on the depth of the pothole and which end is bottoming out. I can bottom out the rear when I LOAD the truck down and hit a good whoop, but it'd be hard at just 20MPH. The front hasn't been bottoming out a lot for me. Only pretty hard hits into deep holes. 20MPH into moderate stuff never bottomed me out. Maybe they swapped your CRD front springs for gasser fronts...(shrug). Jeepjeepster wrote: The CRD franken lift has 500lbs of spring rate. Stock is 410, right?
D'oh!! I didn't know the OME was 500!! |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
DarbyWalters wrote: The OTT Lift causes problems like that...it does not have a very good reputation on the Jeep Liberty.
ouch, so that means his shocks are bottoming out and not the bumpstops. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:15 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I CANT IMAGINE THAT AT 20 IT WOULD BOTTOM OUT UNLESS THE HOLES HE IS HITTING ARE "BOTTOMLESS" whoops sorry wasnt yelling just forgot to turn the caps off Tom |
|
| Author: | KJ04 [ Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Better check out your upper ball joints to see if they're going to need replaced also with all that bottoming out. Happy to see another satisfisfied RRO Budget Lift customer. Welcome aboard! |
|
| Author: | Dje Ryu [ Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Ouch. Yup, sounds like the struts are blown, to me. The driver's side blew out as I was lowering my KJ after I put the RRO OTT lift on; passenger side went a couple months later. Get rid of that thing and get longer shocks, struts and springs. OME HD's since you have a CRD. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|