It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: TrueTrac?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:44 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Im contemplating taking the powertrax out and getting me a TrueTrax for the rear. I only go offroad 2-3 times a year which is the only time the powertrax is really needed and even then I could probably make it if I was open since there are always liberty's there that are.

The road manners are just alittle annoying. Ive been spinning tires on dry blacktop which is not good news when pulling out then a car comes. Sometimes it will even lock up after a tire has started spinning which causes the entire Jeep to jump forward with a nice loud bang from the locker. Im just waiting for something to give.

Anyway, Ill probably be taking the locker out and going back to open till I can find something else with better road manners. I understand the TT will be alittle hard on the install, but I believe Ive got a friend that can do that for me to save the install $$.

How many people ave the TT and what are your views on it? Does it add more slack in the drivetrain like the powertrax locker does?

Where did you buy it? Ive only found one place online that had it and I had never heard of the place.

Thanks for any advice. :)

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:12 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Here you goThese are just some of the places I have found by googling "TrueTrac 912A553".since the part# for the 8.25 TT is 912A553.Cheapest was 4WheelParts by far.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:51 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Thanks a bunch Tjkj.. I didnt even know the part#.. :?

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
Well you've got me sold... I was contemplating either a Locker or an LSD and with all the road manner issues you've had with the locker, I thiink I'll get the LSD :)

_________________
Have fun out there.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: e-mail for jeepjeepster
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:30 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:13 pm
Posts: 180
Location: CLEVELAND OH.
hi jeep
i sent you a e-mail last night about some lift questions did you get it ??????


jnj-z


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: e-mail for jeepjeepster
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:42 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
JNJ-Z wrote:
hi jeep
i sent you a e-mail last night about some lift questions did you get it ????? jnj-z


yup.. I replied to it a couple hours ago. :)

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:45 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote:
Well you've got me sold... I was contemplating either a Locker or an LSD and with all the road manner issues you've had with the locker, I thiink I'll get the LSD :)


Dont get me wrong, the locker works very good for what it is, but its just not for me. It cost about the same as a TT but the install is alittle more indepth with the TT..

The Powertrax works decent offroad, it will lock up no problem when a tire is lifted off the ground, but sometimes I couldnt get it to lock when it needed to in other situations. Idk.. im just sick of the road manners. If I took my jeep offroad every month or so it would have its place, but its place isnt in my Jeep.. :?

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:31 pm 
Offline
This member has been Banned

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:20 am
Posts: 1100
Location: TEXAS
I CANT'T BELEVE MY EARS???? YOUR DOING WAT? :lol: :lol:

Jeepster, things I know for sure are:

Nothing beats tru-trac...None of that slack problem nor the poping and bangin.

Every vehicle should come stock with a tru-trac.

Just pull up a little on the e-brake and it will lock about as hard as a locker.

I thought if you go one wheel off the ground you would be hanging there too. Not true.

My open rear axle with one wheel off the ground will power only the wheel on the ground...My other one don't even turn. I do it a few times a week. The first time I did it, I was expecting to push it back to flat surface...Nope.

I would run a loc-right before I ran a noslip again. Like I said before, at least when it pops you ain't wondering if its broken the pins.

Good luck

I'm buying the 2008 Liberty as soon as I know for SURE it can be used with a detroit, Now eaton, tru-trac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:06 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
I am right behind you on getting rid of the PT on my wifes KJ. I think I will just run open until I can afford a selectable for it.

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:12 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:59 pm
Posts: 5171
Location: Austin, TX
Front and rear TrueTrac's - They're great - no issues on the road and no problems while at Moab

(Now I do admit that I didn't try the hardest trails - but that's a driver limitation not the Jeep)

_________________
2005 CRD
stuff
Skeptic quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:39 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:23 am
Posts: 3544
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
ATXKJ wrote:
Front and rear TrueTrac's - They're great - no issues on the road and no problems while at Moab

(Now I do admit that I didn't try the hardest trails - but that's a driver limitation not the Jeep)


I second that...DTT all the way!

_________________
Founder of L.O.S.T.
2006 CRD Sport

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:45 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 4:27 pm
Posts: 2130
Location: Dayton, OH
DarbyWalters wrote:
ATXKJ wrote:
Front and rear TrueTrac's - They're great - no issues on the road and no problems while at Moab

(Now I do admit that I didn't try the hardest trails - but that's a driver limitation not the Jeep)


I second that...DTT all the way!


X3 I finally got to see one in action....very nice....

_________________
It may be that your only purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:10 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
JJsKJ wrote:
I am right behind you on getting rid of the PT on my wifes KJ. I think I will just run open until I can afford a selectable for it.
I'm all for the TT,but I'm with you JJ.If you can save for something like a ARB then go that route,but for the money the TT is hard to beat even being a LSD.Hopefully I can order my new ARB's soon 8) .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:36 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:25 pm
Posts: 1361
Location: Grafton, Ohio
I've got over 16,000 miles on my Power Trax, and still, no poping or banging noises to report.

Has anyone one having noises and banging pulled theirs yet, to see if maybe the the 2 inner and outer springs, or any of the saddle have broken :?:

_________________
Slightly modified Lt. Khaki 3.7 2004 LTD 4X4. Purchased new 8/6/03.
What I don't have....A Mag light mounted to my seat.
Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:04 pm 
Offline
This member has been Banned

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:20 am
Posts: 1100
Location: TEXAS
If you don't have noise from your no-slip then all the componets in your axle are properly centered. Spider gears are very forgiving of the many variants.

Enjoy it while it last. :wink:


Last edited by the1jferg on Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:57 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Mine does fine on the highway, its when I get in a parking lot or in the city that it pops and carries on. The stock tires that are on it are sad when it comes to traction, so that may be an issue.

I can hardly take a turn in the rain without the Jeep sliding around. :?

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:03 am
Posts: 337
Location: grafton, ohio
I had a power trax in the rear of my ranger for a week, replaced it with a true trac and never looked back or regreted it. The kj will get the true trac as well, it's a strong well built untit with awesome traction and it corners well on the street.

_________________
06 jeep liberty 4x4 65th aniver edition

04 ranger xlt sc 4x4, 4.0 sohc, 5-speed, gibson dual sport, cai, udp, bama tune, BFG's, and tru-trac

07 redfire mustang GT, 4.6 3V, 5-speed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:33 pm 
Offline
This member has been Banned

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:20 am
Posts: 1100
Location: TEXAS
"never looked back "....

To see what pieces fell out of the rear-end :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :-)r


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:46 pm
Posts: 711
Location: Westfield, IN
Does anybody know the Truetrac part numbers for front and rear? Is the front LSD the same one for the 2001 Cherokee? For trail-readiness, I'm thinking of installing a TT in the front only until I save some cash for the rear axle. My reasoning: If you reduce the likelihood of ever losing front traction, you're less likely to suddenly gain traction and pop your pumpkin. Does that make sense to anyone else, or am I way out in left field?

Would the KJ handle weird with an open rear dif and LSD up front?

T.J.

_________________
2003 Liberty Sport
Bright Silver Metallic
Daystar lift
General Tire Grabber AT2 245/70R16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:17 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:23 am
Posts: 3544
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
Reider Racing has the best prices on them usually...the front might not be listed so it is better to call

_________________
Founder of L.O.S.T.
2006 CRD Sport

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com